• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Side Mirrors?

BrandonB

How many GT/CS owners have both side mirrors becuase mine only has a left side mirror and I was wanting to know if thats how they came or if someone took it off while they repainted it and everything.

hookedtrout

Mine also only has the drivers side mirror but I have a new NOS mirror still in the box on the shelf that I have contemplated putting on, just haven't done it yet.

Hook

68sunlitgold

Brandon,
standard equipment on all 68 Mustangs was only drivers side mirrors (either standard or remote). The passenger side is an option.
Doug

rjw

Like Hook, I have one in the box just waiting to be installed. After being accustomed to driving today's cars that virtually all have the passenger side mirror, it is somewhat unnerving not to have that vantage point accessible.
Richard

darb

While on the subject of mirrors - does anyone have the problem where the mirrors often get really loose while you're driving and...there goes your vantage point? I keep tighting mine up and it keeps fighting me and coming loose again...any suggestions?

Brad

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

my rear view mirror keeps coming loose im on my second one too. I cant figure out why though there is just one spot that it will stay in place till i find a bump. my side mirror is fine though.

RacingFan

Paul and others:

Would the addition of the right hand mirror possibly be considered a dealer option? Was this a possibility?

iexcelr8

[quote author=BrandonB link=board=1;threadid=848;start=0#msg4765 date=1081724098]
my rear view mirror keeps coming loose im on my second one too. I cant figure out why though there is just one spot that it will stay in place till i find a bump. my side mirror is fine though.
[/quote]

Brandon, for what it's worth, I've heard that one solution for a loose mirror is to put some vaseline on the ball and roll it around in some sand. That enables you to tighten down on the mounting bracket and still have some grip. MANDATORY DISCLAIMER: I've not tried this, but have heard that it works.

Good luck. If you try it, let us know if it works.

iexcelr8

[quote author=BrandonB link=board=1;threadid=848;start=0#msg4863 date=1082497175]
Would the sand harm anything at all?
[/quote]

I wouldn't think so. All you are trying to do is provide some texture so that friction would keep the mirror from flopping down. If it didn't work, you could just wipe off the sand and vaseline and be right back as before. My professional judgment, as a lawyer, not an engineer or scientist, is that sand shouldn't harm anything and should be reversible.

And, as a preemptive strike to the lawyer jokes, yes Brandon, you'll have to ask yourself: "Do I really want to take the word of a lawyer when it comes to working on my car?" ;D

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I've also had good luck with the following solution.

Get a spring-loaded center punch. Twist the mirror as far one direction as you can to expose as much of the ball joint as possible. Dimple 1 or 2 holes in the ball with the center punch.

The center punch will put a small dimple and in doing so will raise the edges of the dimple slightly. The raised area creates more friction and keeps the mirror steady. 1 or 2 usually will do it. Granted this does make a mark on the ball, but if done in the right place it won't ever be visible while the mirror is in use.

I should note that this tip is in refernce to the side view mirrors, not the interior rear view. (might work on that one too, but I've never tried it)