• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'67 HCS Information

Gioman

Hello, i'm new to finding and posting on your web forum and deeply appreciate the information you have assembled on the HCS mustangs.

I've had my HCS since i was 21, now 18 years, in the garage. Originally when purchasing the car i wanted to paint it a grey color but upon finding out it was 'different' i hung on to it and had it painted back to its original latex columbine blue color. A color to be honest i'm not all that fond of but have held on to. The car itself has been driven 400 miles since i've owned it and i believe, without looking, it has 125k miles on the odometer.

What i'm asking of yous is that should i not finish restoring this vehicle.. what would a '67 HCS be worth in a price range. It's a coupe, 289 engine, 3 speed transmission.. needs work but the engine runs as i start it twice a year and back it out of the garage and then back in. Just curious. Thank yous.

hicountrybob

Hello, i'm new to finding and posting on your web forum and deeply appreciate the information you have assembled on the HCS mustangs.

I've had my HCS since i was 21, now 18 years, in the garage. Originally when purchasing the car i wanted to paint it a grey color but upon finding out it was 'different' i hung on to it and had it painted back to its original latex columbine blue color. A color to be honest i'm not all that fond of but have held on to. The car itself has been driven 400 miles since i've owned it and i believe, without looking, it has 125k miles on the odometer.

What i'm asking of yous is that should i not finish restoring this vehicle.. what would a '67 HCS be worth in a price range. It's a coupe, 289 engine, 3 speed transmission.. needs work but the engine runs as i start it twice a year and back it out of the garage and then back in. Just curious. Thank yous.
Would you give me the vin number and 2nd line on the door tag. I may have it in the registry and/or have a prior history for you if you like. Hard for us to give you an educated value w/o pictures and more info about any prior floor, quarter or door rust and/or damage and PS? console? 4V? deluxe int? S?S wheels and whatever else, overall condition. Will be looking for more info from you, and welcome to our wonderful site. Bob Teets here, registrar of the 1966-67-68 High Country Registry.

OP
OP
G

Gioman

Thanks for responding HC Bob, i have the vin and id numbers from the tag.

vin 7R01C224633 and 65A _ 2B 30F 51523 4 01

Upon searching the trunk i found an '89 copy of Paul's book 'GT/California Special' as well as a letter response from him that stated that he would forward my information to you. So i'm thinking i might already be in your registery. Post dated Aug. 12, 1991.

As for pictures, at the moment i've got a broken camera.. batteries blew up in my digital. oops. I'll work on it though.

Thanks for your help.

hicountrybob

Thanks for responding HC Bob, i have the vin and id numbers from the tag.

vin 7R01C224633 and 65A _ 2B 30F 51523 4 01

Upon searching the trunk i found an '89 copy of Paul's book 'GT/California Special' as well as a letter response from him that stated that he would forward my information to you. So i'm thinking i might already be in your registery. Post dated Aug. 12, 1991.

As for pictures, at the moment i've got a broken camera.. batteries blew up in my digital. oops. I'll work on it though.

Thanks for your help.

Gioman, well, Paul Newitt DID NOT forward the info to me, but I just entered it in the '67 registry. It would be good to enter the exterior color? power steering? floor console? wheels, std w/ full caps? style steel (bone) wheels? rocker mouldings? stainless trunk and quarter extension mouldings? AND whatever else I may have overlooked. ANY history or "buying" info/story you wish to share?? Thank you, 'cause that just filled in another "gap" in the numbers. Bob Teets here H-303-424-3866.

OP
OP
G

Gioman

Gioman, well, Paul Newitt DID NOT forward the info to me, but I just entered it in the '67 registry. It would be good to enter the exterior color? power steering? floor console? wheels, std w/ full caps? style steel (bone) wheels? rocker mouldings? stainless trunk and quarter extension mouldings? AND whatever else I may have overlooked. ANY history or "buying" info/story you wish to share?? Thank you, 'cause that just filled in another "gap" in the numbers. Bob Teets here H-303-424-3866.

The exterior color of my stang is columbine blue, i did have it repainted back in 1991. It does have power steering and 'hub caps' red centers. (these i've replaced.. tossed the originals, not knowing their value.) As for floor console, its a standard 3 speed and all i have is a shifter, no console if thats what you mean. I've no idea what rocker mouldings are but the fuel tank is stainless steel i believe if thats what you mean by the trunk. The hood has blinkers in it.

One thing it does have that i'm not sure about is on the air cleaner. The lid is chromed and says sports sprint. I'm not sure what this entails if its just another badge of honor for the engine or what, if you could help?

I'm sorry i'm not much help identifying what i have.. I'm sure pictures would help you more. The actual reason i stopped work on my mustang is because of the cowl vent. After spending the funds to have it painted, i returned home to find that the cowl leaked on the drivers side. So the car has been garaged ever since. It also has only one rust spot on the passenger rear quarter panel that returned. It was the only rust on the car when i had it repainted. Since garaging it i pull it out once or twice a year to maintain the engine and let it run for about 30 minutes while i wash the dust from it. Thats about it, except for the nail scrape in the hood when i had the hood open backing it out of the garage and the top caught a nail. So mad i just parked it and come back inside the house. The interior needs work.. i've new seat covers in the trunk and a new radio to replace the original am radio that also never got done. Its still after all these years a work in progress.

Attachments

• DSCN0052.jpg
    DSCN0052.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0053.jpg
    DSCN0053.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0054.jpg
    DSCN0054.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0055.jpg
    DSCN0055.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

wally05

Great looking car. :) The cowl damage might hurt the value a little bit b/c that is an expensive fix for a shop to do. If you find a real mustang guy to buy it, he'll probably be able to do it himself. I'm sure Bob will get the info for ya on values.

Sports Sprint was a package you could buy that added some extras to the car. I didn't know they had the v8 sprint package for '67. Here is some info on it at least for '68 cars...

http://www.geocities.com/mustangs68.geo/sprint.html

The center console sat on the transmission hump between the front seats and extended up to the dash into the radio area. Yours doesn't seem to have it. I have a 3-speed also. :)

OP
OP
G

Gioman

Great looking car. :) The cowl damage might hurt the value a little bit b/c that is an expensive fix for a shop to do. If you find a real mustang guy to buy it, he'll probably be able to do it himself. I'm sure Bob will get the info for ya on values.

Sports Sprint was a package you could buy that added some extras to the car. I didn't know they had the v8 sprint package for '67. Here is some info on it at least for '68 cars...

The center console sat on the transmission hump between the front seats and extended up to the dash into the radio area. Yours doesn't seem to have it. I have a 3-speed also. :)

Thanks for the information Wally. I've been doing some searches on the sports sprint package for the '67 mustang and found a web site that helped with it a bit. I guess it did exist, but wasn't anything all that fancy. Mainly it consisted from what i found of a chromed air breather cover w/ sports sprint decals, power steering pump, and louvered hood w/turn signals. There might be more to it, but thats all i got out of the article.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/1967_ford_mustang_sports_sprint_review/index.html

I was a little shocked to think that the cowl might take so much work to repair and found an article that explained how to replace them.. 200 spot welds to drill.. wow, thats alot of work even after removing the windshield and dash pad. I'm just worried now that i can't find someone to do the work that i trust won't take shortcuts.

wally05

Look around. There are many mustang resto shops. They will know what to do. Ask the guys on here for a reputable shop. It will get done right. :) The louvered hood with signals is a major selling point for 67/68 cars. Many people love the look.

franklinair

I'd be curious of how badly the cowl is rusted. Two ways to look. First, look up underneath the dash (on the driver's side, as you said that was where water came through). You may want to remove the round vent unit on the bottom side so you can see the area where the vent is. It may be as simple as a small rusted pin hole, or worse yet, more extensive area. But you should visually check it out to see if the rusted area is minor or major. I'd also look at the passenger side in case some preventative maintenance is required there also. You can get limited access into the cowl by removing the fender (no big deal) and cutting the outboard end area of the now exposed cowl metal. This can be about 6 inches X 4 inches - enough to actually see inside the cowl, and even get your hand inside for cleaning, treating, and repairing the rusted area. The small section that you cut out can be MIG'd back on when the work is completed. It's never visible when the fender is re-installed, and can be neatly finished. Wish I was closer to you. I've repaired a couple like this, and its not as difficult as you may believe. Hope this helps.
Neil Hoppe

hicountrybob

HERE YOU GO, BOYS AND GIRLS!!!! Mustang Monthly, January 2008., pages 68,69,70, and 71, a "Now for the rest of the Story" article. The complete hot skinny on the Sports Sprint pkg. for 1966,'67 and '68 MUSTANGS--- SPRINT PACKAGE A AND SPRINT PACKAGE B. The complete scoop, a " must save reference" for us. Don't miss it, as it will answer all of our questions on THE SPORTS SPRINT PACKAGES. GO!!!!! Hicountry Bob here.

Midnight Special

HERE YOU GO, BOYS AND GIRLS!!!! Mustang Monthly, January 2008., pages 68,69,70, and 71, a "Now for the rest of the Story" article. The complete hot skinny on the Sports Sprint pkg. for 1966,'67 and '68 MUSTANGS--- SPRINT PACKAGE A AND SPRINT PACKAGE B. The complete scoop, a " must save reference" for us. Don't miss it, as it will answer all of our questions on THE SPORTS SPRINT PACKAGES. GO!!!!! Hicountry Bob here.

...Just re-read that. Neat stuff, Thanks Bob!

Gioman, in the photos you posted; what are the aluminum pieces located toward the end of your hood? Hood locks?? 'Never seen those...

OP
OP
G

Gioman

Just got home home from getting my magazine and read up on on the sports package. I'm totally sure i've got it on this mustang. If its the same bright rocker panels that are on the '68 in the picture then those i have as well.. Not sure what they mean by pastel colors, would that mean the columbine blue color or were those interior colors? confused here?

OP
OP
G

Gioman

...Just re-read that. Neat stuff, Thanks Bob!

Gioman, in the photos you posted; what are the aluminum pieces located toward the end of your hood? Hood locks?? 'Never seen those...

:icon_lol: Thats F-O-R-D. hehe.. i took the picture from the backside of the hood. The tires are a little soft being winter and i was unable to puuush it back for a front view picture as the hood is under a built shelf in the garage.
Sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
G

Gioman

I'd be curious of how badly the cowl is rusted. Two ways to look. First, look up underneath the dash (on the driver's side, as you said that was where water came through). You may want to remove the round vent unit on the bottom side so you can see the area where the vent is. It may be as simple as a small rusted pin hole, or worse yet, more extensive area. But you should visually check it out to see if the rusted area is minor or major. I'd also look at the passenger side in case some preventative maintenance is required there also. You can get limited access into the cowl by removing the fender (no big deal) and cutting the outboard end area of the now exposed cowl metal. This can be about 6 inches X 4 inches - enough to actually see inside the cowl, and even get your hand inside for cleaning, treating, and repairing the rusted area. The small section that you cut out can be MIG'd back on when the work is completed. It's never visible when the fender is re-installed, and can be neatly finished. Wish I was closer to you. I've repaired a couple like this, and its not as difficult as you may believe. Hope this helps.
Neil Hoppe

When I had found out that the cowl leaked back some 16 years ago I originally tried to remove the vent box underneath the drivers side but the screws were loose and kept turning but not loosening. It was then that I kept flashing the vent on and off and rusted metal kept running thru the vent. My new carpeting was ruined do to moisture in the drivers floor so I folded it all up with pad to dry out and then bought a can of undercoating and undercoated the floor panel to prevent any rusting. After the carpeting and pad dried I put everything back. On inspection with a flashlight thru the top of the cowl, I believe the lip inside the cowl is gone. I have a plastic cowl vent repair kit but since i can't remove the vent itself its still in the package. I've doubts that this is a good fix anyways. Another concern i have here locally is that i had the entire car painted as original with laquer paint, and i'm starting to find out that no one wants to use laquer any longer because of the mess of the overspray in their shops. So i'm not too sure yet how i'm going to handle this cowl or even if i care to tackle it at the moment. Although it is something that should be done before i work on the interior. *Still in denial stage* hehe.

classicsguy

I got a Marti report on this car: Its a TRUE HCS Columbine Blue with Sports Sprint Package and rocker panel mouldings,p/s and tinted glass

PS: For BOB: DEALER# 76A400

Hope it helps!!

OP
OP
G

Gioman

Thats great news... Hey i'm having a heck of a time trying to get this thing started.. fried the silinoid charging the battery so i'm off today to get a new one to fix that. I think while i'm out i'll go ahead and get some new plugs, points & condenser and rotor so i can get this thing sparked up for your pictures. Its turning over, i just can't seem to spark it. Don't lose faith.. it might take me awhile.. i'm a far cry from a mechanic.. well "LOTS of FAITH" in that case. To make it more interesting its about 30 degrees out there.. God lets hope i don't strip those plugs pulling them out.

Thanks again,

JimG.

classicsguy

Thanks for the information Wally. I've been doing some searches on the sports sprint package for the '67 mustang and found a web site that helped with it a bit. I guess it did exist, but wasn't anything all that fancy. Mainly it consisted from what i found of a chromed air breather cover w/ sports sprint decals, power steering pump, and louvered hood w/turn signals. There might be more to it, but thats all i got out of the article.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/1967_ford_mustang_sports_sprint_review/index.html

I was a little shocked to think that the cowl might take so much work to repair and found an article that explained how to replace them.. 200 spot welds to drill.. wow, thats alot of work even after removing the windshield and dash pad. I'm just worried now that i can't find someone to do the work that i trust won't take shortcuts.

I FOUND THE INFORMATION ON SPORTS SPRINT PACKAGE:
sporty hood vents with recessed turn indicators
Whitewalls
Full wheel covers
Bright rocker panel moldings
Chrome air cleaner
Vinyl covered shift lever with select shift

Hope it helps!!