• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

driveshaft stripes

teamlo

Does anyone know what the correct driveshaft paint stripe markings would be for a '68 with J-code 302, automatic, 9" with 3.25 open, GT equipment group and no air conditioning?

Thanks

Terry

CougarCJ

Trick question?

J codes did not come with 9 inch rear ends.

Northern Pony

Terry;
I have a 302 J code automatic, 3.25 rear end Gt equipment group, non air with a detailed drive shaft.
Today the car is at the body shop getting some malicious damage repaired, when it comes back I will answer your question, if you have not recieved an answer by then.
BoB

J_Speegle

Does anyone know what the correct driveshaft paint stripe markings would be for a '68 with J-code 302, automatic, 9" with 3.25 open, GT equipment group and no air conditioning?

Thanks

Terry

Yes know (should be on the list of ones we have info on) - but need more info from you

When was the car assembled? And is it a one or two (tube in tube) piece driveline?

BTW Scott's site only covers Cobra Jet cars

OP
OP
teamlo

teamlo

Car was built in San Jose in December, 1967. Ford MPC lists driveshaft as tube in tube. I have no reason to believe it's not the original driveshaft. Markings are there (3 stripes fairly close together and a 4th close to the differential end of the shaft). Time has taken a toll and exact paint colors are hard to discern visually.

Thanks

Terry

@Holmes

Best thing you can do to resolve your axel question is to get a Marti Report. I have never seen or heard of a J code with a 9. But then again I had never seen a 68 with a heater delete option before last week.

The color will surface - clean it. I used ospho and a wire brush on mine and the color came out.

OP
OP
teamlo

teamlo

All 1968 Mustangs with the J-code 302 AND the GT option group had 9" rear ends. Notice I said WITH the GT option group. Standard '68s with the J-code had an 8" rear end. All '68 small block Shelbys also had a 9" rear end. The rear end in my car has never been out, the original axle tag is in place (never been off the car) and the code confirms a 9" axle with the 3.25 open gear set, which also checks with the Marti report for the car (although in truth, the Marti report does NOT differentiate 8" vs 9" for any vehicle that I am aware of). The Ford MPC lists 2 different driveshafts for the 1968 Mustang with the 302 engine. One part # for GT cars, one part # for non-GT cars. The base engine for the 1968 Mustang with the GT equipment group was the J-code 302. Optional engines that year were all big blocks for the GT, obviously then the driveshafts are different for them. In addition, I owned another '68 GT coupe, J-code with C4 back in the 1980s, early build Metuchen car. It too had 9" from the factory, but interestingly it was ordered with a 3.00 open, which was actually listed on the Marti report as an "optional axle ratio".

Last edited:
OP
OP
teamlo

teamlo

I need to replace the u-joints, so it's coming out here fairly soon. A thorough cleaning will take place and hopefully that will solve said mystery. With a full time job, summer time, a kid in summer hockey camp, you know............I haven't had a spare minute!

OP
OP
teamlo

teamlo

After removing the shaft from the car and cleaning it up, it appears as though the paint stripes are lavender-white-azure, with a 4th stripe at the diff. end being dark green. At the front end in the slip yoke area is a pink paint daub. The slip yoke is red oxide. The shaft went back down to bare metal without difficulty. I am planning to reproduce the markings and then use a satin clear coat to protect it rather than using Detail Gray paint.

Terry

Mosesatm

After removing the shaft from the car and cleaning it up, it appears as though the paint stripes are lavender-white-azure, with a 4th stripe at the diff. end being dark green. At the front end in the slip yoke area is a pink paint daub. The slip yoke is red oxide. The shaft went back down to bare metal without difficulty. I am planning to reproduce the markings and then use a satin clear coat to protect it rather than using Detail Gray paint.

Terry

What is azure???

Mustanglvr

Attachments

• border_L.jpg
    border_L.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
teamlo

teamlo

Yes, the azure is a blue. I was able to find a Testors modeling paint that is azure, pretty much looks like an exact match. The white is easy. I found that Testors "purple" is actually lavender and they also have a forest green. I bought a small bottle of each and hopefully it will turn out nice.