• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What is a '68 GT/CS Worth?

P

PNewitt

I wanted to start this thread to get youre comments on values. We get this question a lot from owners, most that are new.

What I'd like to do is get some sort of list of values, and perhaps go on this scale:

T-Code (6 cyl)
C-Code (2bbl, 289 or 302)
S-Code (390, 4bbl)
X-Code ( 390, 2bbl)
R-Code (428CJ, 4bbl)

We pretty much have the 428 values covered, but the others are still in some sort of "value limbo". Remember that auction sales values can sometimes skew the real value numbers.

When your mentioning value (such as you just bought or sold a GT/CS), include the condition: Poor, Average, Nice Original, or Concours Restored

This will be a good source for people wishing to know their values, whether to buy or sell, and/or for appraisals for insurance, etc. (If this thread is popular, maybe it can become a sticky).

thanks,
Paul N.

davidathans

D Code here, D for David, 347 stroker..i wouldnt sell my car for less than 50 Gs...i know it isn't worth that much...but it has sentimental value to me...and its the fastest CS on the planet LoL Paul

ahainline

just looked at the NADA values again.. did they go up again? I cant remember what it said the last time I checked so I cant tell. Just seems a bit higher.

Anyway.. not sure exactly how we are supposed to do this but...
My C-Code 289 with A/C, power steering, and in average condition appraised for $20,000 in October of 2007. Dont know if that helps any though. NADA says $21,045 Click here for NADA value

limelyt

Paul ours was finished last summer, a complete ground up concours restoration, number 1 car and was appasied at $38,000. GT package 302, J-code. Of course we would never sell it for any cost.

Gary

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

...and its the fastest CS on the planet LoL Paul

What do you think keeps the planet rotating? YOUR D-Code 347!

(Casey and I think the appearance of your "D-Code" at GAS was just awesome!!)

Paul :)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Anyway.. not sure exactly how we are supposed to do this but...
My C-Code 289 with A/C, power steering, and in average condition appraised for $20,000 in October of 2007. Dont know if that helps any though. NADA says $21,045

That's absolutely what I wanted...excellent source!!

Thank you,

Paul.

franklinair

Well, I must confess I'm at a loss to figure values of this model Mustang. My C/S is not Concourse (as is Somethingspecial) - But it is close to Concourse as far as condition & appearance - But I drive mine, not regularly, but on nice days & 'occasions'. NADA says $40,000 +/- for the condition of my car.
I probably have $23K invested (purchase, transport, upgrades such as S/S wheels, dual exhaust, trim pieces, etc.) If someone offered me $40K, I could not accept that in good conscience. I feel mine has a value of $25K-$30K as far as condition: (on a scale of 1 to 10)
Paint=9
Interior (standard, black)=10
Engine (302/4V, o'hauled, 2,100 miles)=10
Trans (C-4, O'hauled, 2,100 miles)=10
Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust=10
Overall condition/correctness=9
This is my (hopefully) objective evaluation of my car as far as condition & value. Accurate? Maybe, maybe not. But fair, I think. I honestly don't know how (or how much) to calculate or add for the GT/CS option & it's rarity. This is my first venture into this specific model.

Neil

Last edited:

CougarCJ

I have a friend that used to be very diligent about submitting detailed descriptions and sales prices for Mercury Cougar Eliminators to NADA. Both public and private transactions. Frank used to be the registrar for Cougar Eliminators.

He also was able to convince the publisher to more accurately list the available options.

Someone should contact NADA and inquire about making submissions.

Numerous verifiable sales and documentation would probably be appreciated at that publication in order to justify upward or downward value trends.

Just a suggestion.

BroadwayBlue

I started a spreadsheet a few months ago with info from eBAy and members that sent me info.

I have to be honest I have been pretty busy the last few months and haven't kept it up to date as I would like to.

It's a very difficult thing to do because each one has to be based on it's condition.

rvrtrash

just looked at the NADA values again.. did they go up again? I cant remember what it said the last time I checked so I cant tell. Just seems a bit higher.

It is higher than the last time I looked, which was over a year ago. High value on mine is over $46K. While it would be nice if that was accurate, Paul's (PFSlim) car would've sold by now if it were true. Doesn't really matter to me though, except for insurance. When mine gets sold, I'll be driving a chariot with a ducktail spoiler.

Steve

GTCSMustang

Paul,

So what are the 428's worth? I think I overpaid a lot for mine, but just curious what you thought they are worth?

Scott

clubpro

I find it interesting that there is a big difference between the NADA guide and the Old Cars Price Guide. My car in the NADA guide in #1 condition is valued at $46,500 and in the Old Cars Price Guide in #1 condition it is valued at $29,375. Now that's a pretty substantial difference if you ask me. The question is which is more accurate. An educated guess would be that the NADA guide uses the auction results more than the O.C.P.G. does. As you all have seen by watching the Barrett-Jackson auction the prices can be inflated by the cheering of the audience and by ego. Having watched ebay very closely over the last few years very few Cal Specials go for over $30,000. An X code that should have gone easily over $30,000 went for less than $20,000. I heard from the new owner who said that the car was in very good shape. It goes back to the old saying that "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". I believe that our cars are very close to seeing some pretty substantial increases in value as the car collectors become educated about these Special cars.

Cheers,

Ron

GT/CS S Code

Tough to estimate a real value ....

Well, it's tough for us to estimate a "real world" value, as our car has far too much sentimental value to us personally. With the history of our car we wouldn't sell it at any price of course, ..... but to date with the initial purchase cost plus the added replacement parts and repairs so far I would estimate an insurance replacement cost of about $25K to $30K?
We're planning to have a professional insurance appraisal done later this year after we finish up more of the planned work to ensure that we're fully covered in the event of some disaster, and we could give you an update then .....

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Pretty impressive values so far....WOW. and BTW--I've been told that auction values are up about 10-15% this spring.

Perhaps, as a thumbnail guide, we all could arrive at a good "average" value for each engine type, in say, concours condition. That would be a good starting point to work from, then owners with "less than concours" condition cars could figure what it would cost to bring them to that condition, and then the difference would determine those values (poor, restorable, driver, etc..).

For example, if a J code (which, BTW, is what, oh, say....Neil has) is worth $45K in concours condition, and another one is restorable, needs paint, and it would cost $18K to restore, that car would roughly be worth $27K.

I would like to at least arrive at some good numbers here that we all can pretty much agree on.

Thanks for your input...and for revealing your appraisal values to us, too.
(and thanks to Rich for his survey...maybe we can see that again).

Paul N.

p.s. then we'll take the standard GT Mustang (1968) values, and the '68 Shelby values, and then correlate all three together to create some REALISTIC values for the GT/CS--with your help.

Last edited:

John McGilvary

Lets see, I paid $3700 for my CS new, and it just turned 40 last month, I would say its " PRICELESS TO ME ".

Thanks to all of the CS/HCS owners, old and new generation, it looks like our Mustangs are getting the respect they are due. Its been a long time comming for me.

John

>> I am not much help when it comes to the value of my CS cause I have been offered anywhere from $1500 and a Chev truck 30 years ago to several $K in the last 5 or 6 years.
>> It is a good idea to get togeather some kind of guidline we can go by if we are in the market to buy or sell.

Last edited:

johnsgottwo

I agree we should work on this

I'm with you Paul. I think it would be of great value to us all to have a realistic basis from which to work on determining the valueof our cars. In between the price we want it to be when we are buying and the appraisal we hope to see as owners is a reasonable market value. I think that this is important not only to place value on the cars we love, but to establish those benchmarks that can be used to determine whether or not a car is worth restoring for an investor. My GT/CS is special to me and was not purchased as a speculative venture, but we owners all benefit from a market where investors will do that, as they do with Shelbys and other collectible muscle cars. As the prices for restored cars increase, it makes more sense to restore them, and we'll see more really nice CS's in the world, which can only be a good thing, right? I'm not planning on selling my car, but it would be nice to know with some certainty that completing the restoration will be a practical exercise as well as a gratifying one. Finally, I'm pretty sure that Paul Newitt has proof that Royal Maroon cars bring a significant premium from really savvy collectors - well, ok, I made that last part up.

And that's my penny and a half worth.