• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Roots: Los Angeles, USA

P

PNewitt

There was something I wanted to share with you all today, as I was driving home from work on a No. Calif, Freeway.

Some of you already live in the Los Angeles area, but for those who don't; if you were to spend some time on the major freeways there, like "the 5", "the 405", or "the 101"; you'd get a quick feel at what the car culture there is really like.

It's what you see in your mirror, and what catches your eye ahead of you, too. Sharp cars, some with funny colors, some with spoilers, etc. Some custom, and yet, they all say: "hey, look at me, ....my car is better, meaner, and faster". Maybe not in those exact words, but the image is there--to get you to think: "hey, what was THAT!".

People that live in "So. Cal" are pretty much used to this. It's part of life, because car culture IS dominant. You have times when cars crawl, so you can do some slow "profiling", (i.e. "hmmm...I wouldn't have put those wheels on a car like that") and then it picks up, and you're doin' 70-80mph in a 65)within the instant mass exodus to "wherever". That's when you see all this iron a movin'.

The 101 through downtown & Hollywood, the 134 by Disney Studios, highway 5 through the interchange to the 10, or the 405 going by LAX--these are all really cool places to see, and be seen in a Mustang. It's where you see smog-encrusted highway signs, and crumpled barriers. Debris and small trash along the road, as you snake though an interchange at 65 like a Hot Wheels car, pulling half a "G" in the superelevation....all with your windows down on a hot summer night; the roar of your 289, or 390 slammed into third gear and glasspacks blazing away!

This is what created the GT/CS in 1968. This is what is the true nature of the beast! And yet, after almost 40 years, it's STILL there...the GT/CS still gets the looks, with it's sassy spoiler, and "can see you a mile away" wide taillights at night. It's classy, it's mean, and it's unpredictable when you're out there on the road. (reactions such as: "What da heck was THAT?"...a Shelby? But it was a coupe!!?). Drive by like the looker she is, and let them guess., for the element of curiosity is in your court. You never look back.

So--wherever you are, with your GT/CS put to bed for the night, know that it was that wild car culture of the sexy 1960's that brought your GT/CS to life!

Just some thoughts that I'd like to share with you. Part of my life with a GT/CS with over 400,000 miles.

Paul Newitt

Perkchiro

Nice images to share Paul. I know exactly what you're saying. I grew up in Northern CA and my first car at age 17 was a GT/CS. I remember those warm summer nights, cruising on the El Camino Real with the windows down. Squealing my tires when the traffic light turned green and listening to those glass packs roar. Yelling insults at guys with Chevy's. What memories!

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Steve!

This is, tho'; more than just memories....

..right now...RIGHT NOW, as you read this, people are in Los Angeles seeing the fruits of our efforts. Ford made the 2007 GT/CS because of you. They saw the enthusiasm, the car shows, magazines, and the website. They knew that the spirit was there to make a new GT/CS for 2007, and now 2008, (which, BTW, is the 40th anniversary year!)

Every owner who went to a car show, took the time to repair, paint, wax, shine and drive their GT/CS is owed a big THANK YOU when you see a 2007 CS on the road.

I was told that it was my 1988 book that inspired them, but in turn, it's not just the book, it's YOU. It was everyone that helped me with the survey in 1986, and the response, and support of that edition. It was all the fine folks that sent me photos, and stories, and thank you notes and encouragement all these years. It's you, that would go out of your way to talk to others, and to keep your classic in great condition. It's PRIDE of ownership that made all of this happen.

Meanwhile,In Los Angeles...there is a new flagship on the road. Our efforts are now rewarded with the sights and sounds of the new GT/CS on the streets of L.A. And people are seeing them, and it's like 1968 all over again! You're sitting at a light, and look over, and there is that GT/CS stripe logo, the new banner of the California spirit.

So, How cool is that? That is why it's so important that the heritage of the early and late GT/CSs be tied together. It's how California car culture, with the Mustang, melded into this spirit that is so awesome.

And we did that, together.

Thank you for all your support over the years....and as we look ahead! More excitement is coming, too!

Paul N.

Ladystang

I agree with you. Whenever we are out in our 2007 redfire CS, people crane their necks to get a look and see what it is. Many people follow to take a picture of it, and some ask about it. Quite a few people have asked us about it, and then gone out and bought one.
Really glad they remade the CS. Gave me a chance to have one.