• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I'll leave this to the pros..Old ford file pic of what looks to be Early CS

Canuck CSter

Thought I would leave this to you guys to find out the true identiy..

Picture looks to 4-8- 67 on the card or panel showing the date and model or code #( enhaced it, but not sure )

Car appears to have F O R D on hood nose, side scoops, I do see a tail fin, (one site members say no or not sure,) and the cs stripe kit.

http://ford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=11427&productTypeID=1&ckon=imageThumb

Wondering if any of you graphic guys or girls could look at it and fine out more info for us.

I'm sure Paul has seen this before but I'll send him the link anyhew.

DR

Last edited:

case12

I wonder if this is the GT/SC prototype from early on that they switched to a GT/CS. I have seen pictures like this before with the running horse etc, which confused me at the time.

Definitely a '67 car. No side lights (mandated in 68). Date looks like 9-8-67 (which is more in line with the timeframe of the prototypes).

Great picture. Casey

P

PNewitt

WOW.

I have never seen this car. I did some quick research, and it's most likely the very first GT/Sport Coupe concept car, that was derived from Little Red.

It's definately a '67 coupe. Note the lack of marker lights, and the chrome turn signal bezel (as Casey pointed out). Also note the horse & bars in the grille, and fender. No hood locks of any kind. The wheels are a test for the reviewers, too (black steel wheels with trim rings, chrome lugs, and center caps. Kind of a street rod look from the early sixties).

Ford was thinking of a national "dressed up" Mustang coupe, and at that time, the Sport Coupe was it. The national idea later became the Mustang "Sprint".

There is a series of events that still need sorting out. It goes like this: Lee Grey sees Little Red in Los Angeles (LR was a late-production Shelby). This is in August '67. Lee meets with Lee Iaccoca In Los Angeles, with Little Red there, too. That must have been in August as well.

Lee has Little Red airshipped to Dearborn for review. This must have been the first assignment to the designers as soon as Little Red arrived, since this car is dated 9-8-67 (Sept.).

The earliest paperwork I have on the "California Mustang" (GT/CS) in Dearborn is dated Nov 20, 1967. Two months from the SC concept to the CS paperwork on parts specs.

The Green Hornet was built in Dearborn. it's VIN is 8F01S104288. Being the 4288th Mustang built, it began as a GT/CS prototype (perhaps someone has any model Dearborn-built '68 Mustang with a VIN close to that--to determine an approx. build date). My guess is that it was in November.

But there's more...the Shelby de Mexico '67 coupes to look at--production timewise. <??>

So--this GT/Sport Coupe idea was between late August to sometime in October.

I'll e-mail the Ford archives, and see what they might know, and if I may use it in the book.

Anyway, this is incredibly interesting!
Thanks so much!!

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

Has anybody found anymore information on this car?

Attachments

• 0001-4699prototype.jpg
    0001-4699prototype.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 50
P

PNewitt

Funny that you should bring this up.

Part of my Ford License agreement is access to the Ford photo archive files.

I don't want to ruin the surprise (in my book), but there is a completely different proposal for another limited-edition Mustang on the OTHER side of this prototype, and I found the photo. It's pretty neat, and when you see it, someone will probably want to make one.

Apparently, when "Little Red" got to Dearborn in late 1967, it caused quite a stir, and the Ford designers went kinda wild--to make a nationally produced Shelby-inspired coupe.

However...it was the Lee Grey / Lee Iacocca relationship that kept it for California-only.

The rest is history.

Paul N.