• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

08 GT/CS 3rd gear raking

Mayberry40

I just purchased an 08 GT/CS 5 speed. When the car is cold the transmission will rake when I go into 3 rd gear. The clutch pedal is all the way to the floor. If I shift slow it will not rake. This only happens when the car is just started up and it will do this for about the first 3 times I shift into 3rd. After the car is wrmed up it doesnt do it. Anyone knows whats going on ?
Thanx

miller511

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure what "raking" means in regard to the tranny. Can you explain further. Does it mean "grinding"?

Let us know.

-Jeff

wally05

I have the same prob with my 08 bullitt. It's not bad during the warm days. After a few careful shifts, it's good to go. But, when it's frigid... it's a pain. I'd suggest just shifting easy for the first few mins. When you go into 3rd, don't force it, just allow the return spring to push it into neutral, then push it straight up into 3rd. I've never had problems doing this.

I think some people have had decreased noise switching to royal purple tranny fluid, but I don't know. It's synthetic that comes from the factory.

Yes, Miller511, he means grinding.

wally05

Oh, btw, it's considered "normal" by Ford. But, I may take it in when I have time and bring it up.

franklinair

Ford says it's normal?? I can't believe it. Synchromesh gears should not grind, regardless of temperature. I'd check with a higher source @ Ford.

Neil

wally05

no kidding. I'll get it down there as soon as possible. But, it's going to be a bit.

dansgt

Shifting

Go and buy the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine because they cover shifting problems with the 05 and up Mustangs. the new Mustangs shift with fluid now and the lines need to be replaced with upgraded lines to solve the shifting problems. its something Ford should have thought of when building the Mustang . but.

OP
OP
M

Mayberry40

Do you know if there is a recall on this problem?
I have all MM&F mags from 99 and up....do you know which issue addresses it?
This is such an obvious problem I wonder why Ford even let this happen along with the GROSS problem with no screen on the lower front grill of the GT/CS !:icon_pani

J.Bart

iv'e got the same problem, i have called ford racing and they say these new tranny's don't like the speed shifting either. if replacment lines would cure the problem, we should take it to ford as a group.

wally05

thing is, you shouldn't be shifting hard until the engine is warm anyway (especially revving it). But, yeah, we should contact ford as a group. I'll see if I can get the imboc guys in on it also.

OP
OP
M

Mayberry40

I dont shift it hard. During normal driving it does it!
I talked to a Ford garage mechanic (Very good one) who says he has not heard of the problem!?

GTCS07

I just read a post on the shelby site concerning this issue and it seems that there is a TSB saying that the 1-2 synchros and the 3-4s might need to be replaced. Yes, that means a tranny tear down. Mine shifts fine by the way. I would contact your dealers and ask about the TSB.