• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Removal of Pop Open Gas Cap

68gt390

Help. Tried removing the Pop Open Gas Cap from the CS and no luck. Removed the 4 tiny screws and cap nut inside but, it won't budge. Am I going to have to remove the entire tail light assembly set-up to get it off? Removed the one on the GT with no problems. Any help is appreciated.

Don

L8GR868

You have to remove the tail light panel ( fiberglass). I belive their is also a nut that is on the inside of the trunk that you have to remove that is connected to the cap. Don't forget to reconnect the ground wires when finished.
Eric

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Thanks Eric. That's what I thought but, was hoping to not have to do that. Oh well, need to do some work to the tail light housing on the one side anyway. Guess there's no better time than now.

Don

L8GR868

After I repainted my car I was putting it back together. I installed the panel then went to put the gas cap on and it would not go on. I took the panel off the put eveything back together and forgot the ground wires. NO LIGHTS. Had to remove everthing to put the ground wires on. I went back with stainless screws they look good when you open the trunk.
Eric

case12

Don, not sure what you are replacing, but I decided not to replace the "base", but just the flip open part...so I didnt have to go through all the removal of the base...just a thought depending on what you are doing. Casey

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

case12 said:
Don, not sure what you are replacing, but I decided not to replace the "base", but just the flip open part...so I didnt have to go through all the removal of the base...just a thought depending on what you are doing. Casey

Casey;
I thought about that but, the base of the pop-open cap is tarnished pretty bad so I'm just going to replace the whole thing. I'm hoping I can do like Jason suggested, just loosen it up and try and pull it out that way. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Don

PFSlim

Don

I really think it depends on how your taillight panel is cut. From what I have seen, many are different sizes with regard to the gas cap hole. Mine was a tight fit when we put it back together. You can see in my gallery pictures with and without the taillight panel on. Anyway, if you pull the taillight panel, I think you will have to pull the rear bumper as well. Least, that is how I put mine back together.

Paul

mmarsalone

I just did it last weekend. First you have to clear out your trunk. Remove the trunk filler panels if you have them. Remove bumber guards if you have them. It's also a good time to replace the rubber strips on them. Mine needed them. Remove the bumper. Don't forget to disconnect the license plate lamp. The cnnector sits near the filler tube in the trunk. Remove all screws from tail light panel. You do not need to remove the tail lights themselves. Have something to support the tail light panel when it's removed. I did not have to undo any wires for the tail lights.

I also tried replacing my bumper, the repop one was 1 inch too narrow. When I went to mount it, it hit the quarter panel extensions where they tuck into the bumper.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Thanks Mike. You just answered my question about removing the lights. That's what I was hoping for. I really didn't want to have to remove the lights and wiring. I've already got the bumper pulled, I'll work on the light panel on Sunday. I first thought it would be a simple deal kinda like the Gt but, once in there I figured the contour to the outside of the cap base told me different. But, figured I'd check before I screwed something up. Sometime your first instinct is to take a screw driver and pry. I decided against that once I saw I didn't have the clearence.

Don

Mosesatm

Don, as long as you have all that off are you going to replace the filler hose and the gasket between the body and the filler pipe flange?

mmarsalone

Jason,

I really don't think the cap will come out without removing the bumper. And if it the cap can come out, I don't know if you can get to the lower screws on the tail light panel. Anyway, that's how I did mine.

390cs68rcode

mmarsalone said:
Jason,

I really don't think the cap will come out without removing the bumper. And if it the cap can come out, I don't know if you can get to the lower screws on the tail light panel. Anyway, that's how I did mine.

I know I did not take my bumper completely off, just loosened it