• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Overhead Console Dome Light?

Robbie273

I have an overhead console which I am planning to install in my non-console car. Can someone tell me how the wiring work? Will the map lights operate as a dome light when the door is opened? How about when the headlight switch is turned counterclockwise?
I was reading July 2004 Mustang Monthly, and it looks pretty easy, any additional tips?

Rob

RedGTvert

Overhead console lights are operated by buttons you need to push to turn on and off. One for each light.

case12

If you use the dome light wiring, they will operate like a dome light if they are turned on - if they are not turned on then you will only have floor lighting. They will not turn on once the door is closed unless you turn the headlight switch to interior lights on position which also turns on the floor lighting. If you think about how the dome light works, then you will understand why wiring to that circuit will have these effects. (That is my situation). Casey

OP
OP
R

Robbie273

Casey,
Thanks for the info. Is this the way the lights worked with the overhead console from the factory?

Rob

Doug

Casey,
Thanks for the info. Is this the way the lights worked with the overhead console from the factory?

Rob

Not mine - they work independently If you want the console to work like the factory I think that they make a wire loom for that purpose. My console only lights up when I push the light button.

Doug

case12

Agree with Doug. From the factory, the console works as he describes.

I was just sharing with you what happens when you install an overhead console to a car that didnt have one - the easy way is to hook to the overhead light wiring, but it will work the way I described. Casey

OP
OP
R

Robbie273

Doug,
If the map lights only work when the switches are pressed then what do you have for interior lights when the door is opened at night?

Rob

Doug

I am unable to see my car at the moment as I am out of town. But I have under the dash and rear floor console lights that operate when the door is open. I also have deluxe interior with lights in the door panel.
Doug