• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Parts warning!

rvrtrash

:'( I just wanted to let everyone know about this. I ordered a replacement right front inner fender (where the battery tray goes) from Mustangs Unlimited. It's 1/2" out of square, and doesn't even come close to fitting. Of course I trimmed a corner to try and make it fit before I discovered this so I can't send it back, but when I called them, just to let them know, so they could get the problem corrected, the guy on the phone told me that 90% of their aftermarket parts don't fit. I'll be trying again with someone else and let you all know if I find one that's good.
Steve

BrandonB

Im very sorry to hear that steve Im sure that was a costly part too, very unfortunate indeed :-\

If you can't find one that fits, I am nearby a salvage yards with lots of mustangs. I'm going to go there tommorow to pick up some parts, and I can take a look there to see how much they want for one if you want?
Most of the mustang places get their aftermarket metal repro. from the same source. The parts don't fit right because measurements are taken incorrectly here in the US, and then sent to China or another asian country to have them made. In all the rif raf of parts production, they are screwed up. Thats why it is essential to buy only reproduction parts that have been made from a mold from an orginal product. Be sure to check and make sure the supplier isn't the same between the 2.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

The part wasn't real expensive ($35.00) but I did buy from the most expensive source, hoping I would get a better product. Now I know and so do you. Thank you, Mrshelbydallas for your offer, but I decided to try first and see if I could use the new part as a patch panel. I removed my old one with a spot weld cutter so the top with the VIN will go back on and I'll try to "cut and paste" to make most of the new one fit. It's just frustrating to have to do this when Mustangsunlimited seemed to know up front it wouldn't fit right out of the box. Why sell something they know is garbage?
Steve

hcsstang

:-[I purchased two voltage from two different sources and both were bad, but after the first episode no damage. The first one I had to repaint under the hood and motor compartment. CJ laughted at me.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Man I would be upset by that. Well after working on it late into the night (3:00am) for two nights and most of the day yesterday, I got the repo cut up enough that it would fit. I used my old top strap (with the VIN) and welded up to it. The back of the support for the battery tray is still 1/4" high but that's as close as I could get. After sanding the welds you would need a good eye to tell it's not exactly right. What a pain though.
Steve