• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Axle bearings

BigJim

How do I determine what size axle bearings I need for our 68 J code 8 inch open diff with 3.00 gears?

CougarCJ

You have 28 splined axles, from a 1968 Ford Mustang with an 8 inch differential.

They are not something easily changed without proper tools and a press. When I did mine, I got them from a Napa store with a machine shop to do the installation.

Mosesatm

I've heard that it's possible to freeze the axles and slip the bearings on. Never tried it.

Ruppstang

You have 28 splined axles, from a 1968 Ford Mustang with an 8 inch differential.

They are not something easily changed without proper tools and a press. When I did mine, I got them from a Napa store with a machine shop to do the installation.

+1 Marty

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

A friend of mine who works in a auto shop (they have a pres and correct tools) will remove the old and install the new bearings. However he has tasked me with obtaining the correct bearings. So can someone point me to the correct bearings?