• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS J-code 4 speed on E bay

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Has the GT dual exhaust and gas cap but that does not mean its a true GT...the Marti will confirm it.

gt/csj4

9in rearends came on big block cars, Small blocks got 8 inch... not JUST GT cars got them .So just because it has one doesn't mean anything, it just means someone wanted a bullit proof rear end

gt/csj4

So.... my Cal has a 9 inch rear but isn't a GT so what does that make it then? Here's the thing, NON GT cars could be optioned with the 9 in rear as part of the 'Heavy duty suspension" package. There is no doubt in my mind that when you ordered the GT equipment group, you got a 9" axle. Although not stated by Ford anywhere in their factory sales literature about the option specifically including a 9" axle, it does list "heavy duty suspension" as part of the option. In my book, the rear axle is part of the suspension. There was a stand-alone "heavy duty suspension" type option for non-GT cars in 1968, my car is the only car i have seen to date with these options on a non gt car. So that being said i was not saying you are not correct that GT cars didn't get the 9'' rear, i was saying just BECAUSE it has a 9 inch doesn't automatically make it one as all the big block cars got a 9'' (428 cars i believe came standard with 3.50's) and GT cars (although according to my research in 68 ONLY 302 4v cars (GT or NON GT) could be ordered with the 9''. Thanks for the read as it seems i have done MY HOMEWORK.

Last edited:

nineofive

Now for something completely different:
I believe this is the 4th time this car came up on ebay within the last year.
Last time it was July. (starting bid at 17K - no bidders then)
The dual point conversation was discussed in one of the other threads earlier this year.
Prior to that, I asked about the "silver" break light panel not being body colored

sportyworty

GT cars are HD suspension therefore came with 9" in 1968 J cars. Yes HD is a separate available option therefore a HD non GT would be a 9" as well. Re read what you wrote prior to my response. "9in rearends came on big block cars, Small blocks got 8 inch... not JUST GT cars got them .So just because it has one doesn't mean anything, it just means someone wanted a bullit proof rear end" This sounds like you are referring to Big Block non GT cars nothing to do with small block. You changed gears in your next post

Thus the do your homework statement. I do not care what books say what as most are "short" on correct facts. Just google 1968 Mustang J code 9 inch rear end. Not trying to be a prick to you just clearing up your initial post on the topic. I learn new things everyday and if you research this topic it is apparent you will learn something as well. It is obvious you did some more research between the two posts.

What is the axle code on your door tag? the answer is the axle codes. If you have 3.25 it is a 9"

This has been discussed before here

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7096.html

Last edited:

franklinair

I don't know squat about the suspension or rear options, but I DO know the rear tail light panel is supposed to be body color. ;-)

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 038.jpg
    Green GTCS 038.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 34

gt/csj4

My particular car came with axel code '5' which is 3.00 conventional. We can go around back and forth debating who is right and who is wrong but it wont get anyone anywhere. To me what I am typing makes sense, and i'm sure to you, yours makes sense, but when the other reads it we have issues on what is being said. That is the problem with form data and/or text rather then having this conversation face to face. If you actually were listening to what I typed rather then reading it i'm sure it would make a lot more sense as i am not back tracking or stepping nor retracting anything i said. Plain and simple what i initally meant was;

All big blocks (gt and non gt) came with the 9'' rear end however not all got the heavy duty susension it was either on the GT's or was optioned. The next thing was small block cars gernerally got 8'' rear ends unless they were GT's or were ordered with heavy duty suspension. That being said in my research (and its not just from books a lot comes from Bob Teets as well as my dad who has been close friends with Mr. T himself whom i've learned all i know about mustangs from these two guys) in 68 the only cars (small block wise) that could be ordered with the heavy duty suspension (ie with the 9'' rear) was the J code 302 4v.
My research suggests that the straight 6's and c code 289's could not be ordered with HD sus. or gt package (obviously) for reasons i do not know why.

I beleive what you may have mistaken what i said was the only cars that came with 9'' rears were big block cars and that is my mistake i should have typed more carefully. All i was trying to say was that just because its a 9'' under there doesnt mean its a GT and that goes for all the motors I listed. Furthermore what i am trying to say is that a car that is non GT with the HD package and has a 302 4v in cal special trim would be very uncommon (especially a 4 speed to boot) since there is no report on it to confirm it as a GT or having HD sus. i'm stating that the person could have jsut wanted a stout rear end that is bullet proof. My car as it sits has these options however i cannot confirm the rear end as being stock on the car even tho it did indeed come with the HD sus but it is not a GT. So yes youre right i myself do learn new things each day, and i am not that close minded to not let in any new theory's or concepts from others. It was a misunderstanding of words thats all. No offense taken on my part and i hope the same feelings are mutual :smile: Cheers

Marti Report.jpg

Last edited:

sportyworty

all is good

You are right the internet does not always portray the jest of the verbage. It also does not always portray the knowledge owned by the person you are conversing with.
Have fun

Maine gt/cs

distributor

This has been great reading and have learned a couple of new things about Mustangs that I didn't know. That is why I like this site and all the knowledgeable people here. Unless I missed it, I still would like to know if the 68 j-code or any 68 302 four barrel came with a dual point distributor. Thanks for your patience with my questions as I am trying to learn as much as I can about these great cars.

Tim

gt/csj4

i believe that only 289 hipo's came with the dual point dizzys if im not mistaken as they came with a c5 etc etc casting and fomoco on the base and employ autolite breakers since they had smother operation in higher rpm's and i know they didn't have a vacuum advanced provision on them. Also later on (near 68) the ford a\parts catalogs list a dual point as an upgraded item for small blocks, however these had autolite castings rather then the fomoco scripture. without seeing this one up close i couldn't tell what it is but as far as i know, no j codes did not come with them, they should be a single point vacuum advanced type. As far as i know no other motor (mustang wise) came with them.

sportyworty

for small block yes just the hipo 289. All of these are correct line parts not later service autolites with dual point mechanical advance. Boss 302 but that is a 69/70 correct line Autolite C9ZF and D0ZF

C30F-D
C30F-F
C4ZF-D
C50F-E
C7ZF-D

Mosesatm

My particular car came with axel code '5' which is 3.00 conventional. We can go around back and forth debating who is right and who is wrong but it wont get anyone anywhere. To me what I am typing makes sense, and i'm sure to you, yours makes sense, but when the other reads it we have issues on what is being said. That is the problem with form data and/or text rather then having this conversation face to face. If you actually were listening to what I typed rather then reading it i'm sure it would make a lot more sense as i am not back tracking or stepping nor retracting anything i said. Plain and simple what i initally meant was;

All big blocks (gt and non gt) came with the 9'' rear end however not all got the heavy duty susension it was either on the GT's or was optioned. The next thing was small block cars gernerally got 8'' rear ends unless they were GT's or were ordered with heavy duty suspension. That being said in my research (and its not just from books a lot comes from Bob Teets as well as my dad who has been close friends with Mr. T himself whom i've learned all i know about mustangs from these two guys) in 68 the only cars (small block wise) that could be ordered with the heavy duty suspension (ie with the 9'' rear) was the J code 302 4v.
My research suggests that the straight 6's and c code 289's could not be ordered with HD sus. or gt package (obviously) for reasons i do not know why.

I beleive what you may have mistaken what i said was the only cars that came with 9'' rears were big block cars and that is my mistake i should have typed more carefully. All i was trying to say was that just because its a 9'' under there doesnt mean its a GT and that goes for all the motors I listed. Furthermore what i am trying to say is that a car that is non GT with the HD package and has a 302 4v in cal special trim would be very uncommon (especially a 4 speed to boot) since there is no report on it to confirm it as a GT or having HD sus. i'm stating that the person could have jsut wanted a stout rear end that is bullet proof. My car as it sits has these options however i cannot confirm the rear end as being stock on the car even tho it did indeed come with the HD sus but it is not a GT. So yes youre right i myself do learn new things each day, and i am not that close minded to not let in any new theory's or concepts from others. It was a misunderstanding of words thats all. No offense taken on my part and i hope the same feelings are mutual :smile: Cheers

A little more research may be in order.
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28265&postcount=23

Never say never when dealing with old Mustangs.

gt/csj4

Interesting. Thank you for the information i had no idea as I agree when it comes to these cars anything goes really haha. Let me ask you this, does your car have a 9" under it with those gear sets? Maybe (pure speculation) you could get the HD sus. But had to order gear specific ratios in order to recieve a 9"?

Mosesatm

Bill's car had an 8" rear end originally but he converted it to a 9".

I doubt you'll ever see 2.79 gears in 9" rear.
If I remember correctly the tall gears for a 9" are 2.75s.

gt/csj4

Good info here guys. These cars never seem to leave me astonished. Isnt it a shame that Times aren't like this anymore?

JD18

Local NY member?

Is there a member of the group that is near Rochester, NY? Or, possibly a reference to someone reputable that could give this car a good once over? I am interested, but it is difficult to make the trip out from CA just for a look see. It seems like a pretty nice CS and appreciate all of the comments shared in this thread.

Thanks,
Jon