• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sunny day at last!...

Midnight Special

...and a good day to work on my T-Birds (according to a guy at the restaurant).

Who am I to argue? It has a 390 and the correct tail lights!
;-)

Attachments

• IM003025-1.jpg
    IM003025-1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 61

rvrtrash

I worked on one of mine as well, although in the shop because it was pouring rain. Nice picture Tim. It makes me wish I was there walking among them again, or bent over a fender watching brother Rob work his magic. :wink:

Steve

somethingspecial

I would like to see you do something with that yellow 69 you've had since we met 30 years ago. Mike

hookedtrout

Still waiting in S.E. Idaho. 7 degrees this morning in Island Park just North of home. Wind blew about 5' off the Osprey nest that is on our bridge down on to the highway and shut traffic down for a little bit. No nice weather here to play in.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

I would like to see you do something with that yellow 69 you've had since we met 30 years ago. Mike

...Yeah, Thomas & TJ have been heavy on me 'bout that too! So little time and so many distractions. For all of us. I'm afraid to start on it & not finish it timely.

Once again, I hope to begin ressurection this summer...but I've said that before...>

Attachments

• 2565.jpg
    2565.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 45

somethingspecial

Those were fun times, with the Ghost Busters truck and a burned out Cemetary! Is Hal still around, or has he caught the last train out?

Mosesatm

Is this what you guys are talking about?

Attachments

• Binney Junction.pdf
    121.3 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Those were fun times, with the Ghost Busters truck and a burned out Cemetary! Is Hal still around, or has he caught the last train out?

...'Haven't seen him in a few years, Mike. I believe he's still living in Gridley and teaching pottery.

Folks,
Hal Reigger was a humble and renown model railroad craftsman who modeled the Milwaukee Road from Spokane, WA to Butte, Montana in N-scale inside of two full-sized Western Pacific boxcars on his property. In addition to writing magazine articles and giving clinics at RR conventions, he pioneered live-overhead catenary and hand built the correct Milwaukee box-cab and "Little Joe" locomotives from etched brass in 1/160 scale. No words can describe his attention to detail in scenery, structures, rolling stock and tunnels & bridges, all made from scratch.

Mike & I and a handful of others would go there on Friday nights to operate his layout, but not just to play trains! Everything had to be done prototypically, complete with train orders, a dispatcher, scheduling, proper radio communication and on & on. At the end of the night, we were often rated on how efficient the line performed. Quite the excersice for us young kids in an un-conventional sort of way! (although we did engage in occasional "tomfoolery" like crankin' all the throttles up after power was shut down - to return from coffee break and power-up that saw every train on the system going like a bat outa'hell! (Hal would scratch his head & softly say; "Gaawdammit! ;-)

What was awesome about those times (as Mike said) was all the combined railroad history, research outings, learning how to replicate in incredible miniature detail, as well as "train chasing" and photographing the last vestiges of first-generation locomotives on railroads now gone.

Arlie, Binney Junction was a photo-op place where the late- Western Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads crossed. Other areas included Feather River Canyon and Donner Pass where we often camped along the tracks.

One such trip is where Mike learned of a radical, but ratty GT/CS sitting in a Catapillar mechanic's yard. While the rest is history, who would have imagined back then how the fatherly fellowship of guys like Hal (and a deep love of historic expression) could play a role in such the magnificent restoration of a GT/CS today! Only a role, mind you... but possibly a significant one as a reminder of Divine Order and gratuitous reflection of where we came from...>

...Think I'll look up ole' Hal and give him a call... and say "Thanks"! (he'll likely scratch his head & say "You're welcome, gaawdammit" :))

Attachments

• PICT0047.jpg
    PICT0047.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

hookedtrout

What an awesome reflection and I would suggest you do just as described and give him a call, get it done before it's too late. I often think of those I wish I could call up and let them know what positive or productive impact they've had on my life. Those that I can I do and it really makes their day.

hookedtrout

Dang it! I'm sure he's keeping up with the thread!

On a brighter note, yet on topic for this thread, the sun came out for about an hour today. Should be back to wind, rain/snow by days end however.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Yes, we're looking at rain again tomorrow, but I sure have enjoyed the HECK out of driving the mighty 'S' to work these past few days! Man, I can get used to this!!

C'mon SPRING!! :)

somethingspecial

Well, I found out that he has, Mike. 'December 8 of 2005 of complications with pnemonia while asleep...

Cory, you're so right! Only this time, we're too late :-(

WOW, that is a bummer. At least it was in his sleep. He was a good man. Very nice words of him above Tim.
An old saying I've always liked, "When I die, I want to go like my grandfather, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car"

robert campbell

I worked on one of mine as well, although in the shop because it was pouring rain. Nice picture Tim. It makes me wish I was there walking among them again, or bent over a fender watching brother Rob work his magic. :wink:

Steve

Steve,
Brother Rob is bent over a bunch of 2X4's and other stuff this Spring. Renovating the old shop to a big huge room for Val!! But both cars are ready for the summer and beyond!! Hope to drive the GNS to Grass Valley and then to Steamboat!! Maybe Tim wants a ride to Colorado!!

Rob

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Steve,
Brother Rob is bent over a bunch of 2X4's and other stuff this Spring. Renovating the old shop to a big huge room for Val!! But both cars are ready for the summer and beyond!! Hope to drive the GNS to Grass Valley and then to Steamboat!! Maybe Tim wants a ride to Colorado!!

Rob

...Brother Rob, I would love nothing more than to ride to Steamboat with you in the GNS!! As it is, I'm loosely planning to fly out & visit my brother who lives less than an hour from there if both of us can get the time off. 'Still too early to tell as he flies around the globe and I'm busy with work and chairing the next big airshow here in GV. Let's keep in touch as we get closer! :) :)

Attachments

• 00113b.jpg
    00113b.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DDweb11.jpg
    DDweb11.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 23
  • AFweb11.jpg
    AFweb11.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 27

hookedtrout

Hey! It's looking brighter here in Idaho...Oh wait, that's just a reflection from the new fresh white snow..crap! Slick ride to work this morning, little silver Yota Truck upside down in the median. Still snowing......

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...We had a surprise dusting of the white stuff here in NorCal as well. 'Went out & warmed up the red-'S', but decided better not to drive. 'Wish I did though... It's beautiful out now!