• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 AC controls

Stathy

Hello all,
first off I must appologize if i've posted this question in the wrong section.
Soon I'll be posting pics and progress reports of my Green Hornet tribute.
So far it's been a slow process as amassing the parts needed has been quite a lenghty and expensive process. Nevertheless it's full steam ahead :)

I've spent the past few weeks trying to figure out if the GH has air conditioning. The interior shots clearly show the drivers side AC controls but any engine bay picture that I have shows the motor without AC.

I've posted two pics and was hoping that I could get the opinions of the members. What do you guys think? Is it possible to run a non-AC car using
AC controls? Or, is the control I'm looking at for non-AC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks so much!
Stan in Vancouver

Attachments

• GH INTERIORSM.JPG
    GH INTERIORSM.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 35
  • GH ENGINE BAYSM.JPG
    GH ENGINE BAYSM.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 39

Mosesatm

Non-AC cars use cables to operate the various heater controls, while the controls on AC cars are vacuum operated and routed through a vacuum can under the passenger front fender.

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Good question, I do not see an air conditioning compressor.
My guess is that the car body in question was an air conditioned car prior to the Green Hornet conversion, and so it remains.

Mustang1968ACcontrols.jpg

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/68mustangackit.html
The above is a very nice quality reproduction.

wow, wow...wow.
Those repos are spectacular!
When I'm ready to install what will be a non-functioning smog system (i'm going to do it purely for cloning of the GH's engine) I'll be sure to contact you for the parts that I'll need. Don't throw out any wrecked pumps! I'll be needing one :)

Cheers
Stan

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Non-AC cars use cables to operate the various heater controls, while the controls on AC cars are vacuum operated and routed through a vacuum can under the passenger front fender.

Fantastic. Thank you so much for this info. It means that I'll be faced with a challenging task: converting the AC controls to a cable type system....boy this is getting fun:rolleyes:

thank you!

Midnight Special

...Yes, mine is non functioning, but looks fine. It's off of a '68 289 motor however...
I would be happy to give it to you if interested. Let me know & I'll post a pic tonite after work.

franklinair

If you've got all the AC stuff already in the dash, why not just complete the system and have AC in the car?? Firewall forward requires expansion valve, water/heater control valve, compressor (either orig one lunger type or newer rotary type),condensor, drier, and lines. All readily available, and it sure makes driving on hot days comfy.

Neil

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

...Yes, mine is non functioning, but looks fine. It's off of a '68 289 motor however...
I would be happy to give it to you if interested. Let me know & I'll post a pic tonite after work.

That would be fantastic if you could post a pic! I'll do some searching to see if there is a difference between the 289 and 390/428 pumps.
Thanks again!

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

If you've got all the AC stuff already in the dash, why not just complete the system and have AC in the car?? Firewall forward requires expansion valve, water/heater control valve, compressor (either orig one lunger type or newer rotary type),condensor, drier, and lines. All readily available, and it sure makes driving on hot days comfy.

Neil

Neil, I seriously thought about it as air conditioning in Vancouver is quite necessary:icon_lol:
Actually our summers do get quite warm here.
I'm trying to make this car as close as possible to the real thing.
I don't mind a few steath mods (such as remote doors and windows) but adding aircon is just too visable.
But who knows?
Thanks for your time.
Stan

nfrntau

Rather than modify the controls, why not use the controls from a non A/C car? The center dash piece is just an insert and you might have to replace the right side dash insert also. I'm not certain how it attaches on a stock car.

franklinair

Depending on what is under the dash - if the vent/heater components are the non AC system, then you gotta use the cable type control panel. IF it has the AC type system under the dash, then I believe you could stick with the vacuum controls on the AC control panel in the car.
BUT - if you want to be 100% as original, then you must go with the non AC configuration, meaning the cable type control panel & appropriate under-dash components.

Neil

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Depending on what is under the dash - if the vent/heater components are the non AC system, then you gotta use the cable type control panel. IF it has the AC type system under the dash, then I believe you could stick with the vacuum controls on the AC control panel in the car.
BUT - if you want to be 100% as original, then you must go with the non AC configuration, meaning the cable type control panel & appropriate under-dash components.

Neil

Neil, I know the Green Hornet originally came with factory air conditioning as I have a copy of the GH's build sheet as it came from the factory. There is a big S under the "AIR CONDITION" column. This would explain the air conditioning control and the center vent that the car currently has. The removal of the compressor in the engine compartment I cannot explain, but, obviously without it the car doesn't have functioning AC.
As I am trying to make this tribute as accurate as possible i'm faced with the dilemma of:
1) building the car without AC and using the stock heater and controls
2) build the car with AC and using AC controls
3) build the car without the AC but use AC controls and have no heating/cooling function at all
4) build the car without the AC but use AC controls to work some type of heating/cooling system.

Obviously the most difficult is the 4th option...which of course is the route I really think I want to go with. This way it would mimic the look of the GH's current system and still be functional.
My challenge it appears is setting up a cable type system(as you mentioned) with the AC's controllers.
Wish me luck :)

Midnight Special

That would be fantastic if you could post a pic! I'll do some searching to see if there is a difference between the 289 and 390/428 pumps.
Thanks again!

"Stathy" here is the unit I have. It came from the car pictured at right after an engine swap... I have no idea if it's "correct" for GH or not, but it's yours for the taking :) PM me with your address so we can see what it would cost to ship it to you. If not too bad, I'll do it at no cost.

I have mounting brackets & idler, but for 289...

Attachments

• IM002284.jpg
    IM002284.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 20
  • IM002291.jpg
    IM002291.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IM002292.jpg
    IM002292.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IM002293.jpg
    IM002293.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IM002294.jpg
    IM002294.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 12

franklinair

Stan,
I'm not familiar with the GH model at all, but I would offer the following observations:
If the original was built with AC, it would have to have had the underdash components (evaporator, heater core, and the vacuum controls to operate the systems, along with the AC type control panel). Assuming they removed the underhood components (compressor, condensor, etc.) did they leave the AC underdash system? If so, the AC control panel (vacuum) would operate the remaining underdash (AC) system (heater, defrost, etc.)
What does YOUR car have under the dash (AC or non AC system)? If it's an AC car, the vacuum control system would be in place, and everything should work (except for the AC). If it's a non AC car, the cable control system would be in place.
To duplicate the GH you would have the AC control panel either connected & operating the underdash AC system, OR the AC control panel installed as a non functioning unit.If your car has the non AC system already installed, the third option would be to install the non AC control panel, but then you lose the original appearance of the GH.
Your previously stated preference of using the AC setup would be my first choice also. But where do you find a donor for this system without blowing the national budget!?
Best of luck, and if I can be of any help - let me know.

Neil

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

"Stathy" here is the unit I have. It came from the car pictured at right after an engine swap... I have no idea if it's "correct" for GH or not, but it's yours for the taking :) PM me with your address so we can see what it would cost to ship it to you. If not too bad, I'll do it at no cost.

I have mounting brackets & idler, but for 289...

Tim I cannot thank you enough for your very generous offer. Your kindness speaks volumes for the type of people the CS community has. Thank you!

Unfortunately your pump is completely different than the ones provided on the 428 CJ's. Doing some research though shows that the 289 + FE's did share the same type of thermactor air pump. Yours looks quite different though. Perhaps there was more than one style offered? I'm not sure.
Nevertheless it will not work for my application.
Once again thank you for your generosity.
Best regards,
Stan

PS. 2 Beautiful Stangs! I'm jealous :)

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Stan,
I'm not familiar with the GH model at all, but I would offer the following observations:
If the original was built with AC, it would have to have had the underdash components (evaporator, heater core, and the vacuum controls to operate the systems, along with the AC type control panel). Assuming they removed the underhood components (compressor, condensor, etc.) did they leave the AC underdash system? If so, the AC control panel (vacuum) would operate the remaining underdash (AC) system (heater, defrost, etc.)
What does YOUR car have under the dash (AC or non AC system)? If it's an AC car, the vacuum control system would be in place, and everything should work (except for the AC). If it's a non AC car, the cable control system would be in place.
To duplicate the GH you would have the AC control panel either connected & operating the underdash AC system, OR the AC control panel installed as a non functioning unit.If your car has the non AC system already installed, the third option would be to install the non AC control panel, but then you lose the original appearance of the GH.
Your previously stated preference of using the AC setup would be my first choice also. But where do you find a donor for this system without blowing the national budget!?
Best of luck, and if I can be of any help - let me know.

Neil

You know what Neil I never even thought of that. For some reason I had it in my head that if you remove the AC compressor the system would be rendered useless. From what you've written you're saying that it would still operate the fan, heater, defrost etc. I wonder if I can make this work using a non-ac heater core and assembly but with the vaccuum operated switch.
Hmmnn... you're making me think now

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Tim I cannot thank you enough for your very generous offer. Your kindness speaks volumes for the type of people the CS community has. Thank you!

Unfortunately your pump is completely different than the ones provided on the 428 CJ's. Doing some research though shows that the 289 + FE's did share the same type of thermactor air pump. Yours looks quite different though. Perhaps there was more than one style offered? I'm not sure.
Nevertheless it will not work for my application.
Once again thank you for your generosity.
Best regards,
Stan

PS. 2 Beautiful Stangs! I'm jealous :)

Tim I'm so embarrassed. I think we got our lines crossed.
After looking at your pictures and thinking about it I realized you've posted pics of a Tecumseh (?) AC compressor. I don't know why I didn't clue in on that. Sorry I should have been clear on the comments I made on my second post. I was referring to a non-working thermactor air pump.

My appologies:embarass:

Midnight Special

Tim I'm so embarrassed. I think we got our lines crossed.
After looking at your pictures and thinking about it I realized you've posted pics of a Tecumseh (?) AC compressor. I don't know why I didn't clue in on that. Sorry I should have been clear on the comments I made on my second post. I was referring to a non-working thermactor air pump.

My appologies:embarass:

...Apologies and embarrassment, mine Stan. I was focussed on AC and didn't read carefully. 'Seems to be a way with me. A few posts back, I tried to give someone a vacuum switch that turned out to be a (firewall) heater bypass connector. I'm not much good, but I AM slow!

Best of luck with your exciting project :)