• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Crank Key Stuck

@Holmes

Here we go again got the deck cleaned, installed gaskets (Front is front open closed) and heads. Started on cam, removed cover but the crank key is stuck. I want to just take a hammer to it but restraining myself. Any sugestions?

somethingspecial

Try using diagonal side cutters. Keep the cutting plain parallel to the crank, on the crank, and inline with the crank. Take a bite on the key. Then lever the key out with the cutters. No damage to crank that way. Put in new key. Hope this works for you. Mike

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Resolved - Ok learned from my after the fact geek squad that:
1. You dont have to remove the Woodruff Key, cam key, keyway whatever to take the gear off. I Did not know that and in my efforts to remove it scewed it up.
2. That the chain can be removed from the lower gear without removing the gear.
3. Because I had scored and chunked the key it had to be removed but could not be removed untill the ther gear was off. This required filling away the nicks on the key untill the gear slid off.
4. With a chisal and hammer the key slid out.

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Finished - new key

Attachments

• Woodruff Key.JPG
    Woodruff Key.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 20