• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Reference Section

6t8-390gt

What would everyone think about adding a "Reference Section" to the site or "Concourse Section". The section would include reference pictures and explanations or how to do posts. Things that come to mind are detailed engine photos, air cleaners photos, heater fan bracket on BB cars, suspension details, paint ok stamps, trunk details, side scoops, etc.

Jon, if enough interest is generated, is this something that could be added without too much difficulty for you.

Danny

somethingspecial

This is a great Idea. Everyone has done some sort of research to get the cars right. I know everyone here has been great about sharing. Jon, this would be a great addition. Pictures, reference material, and how to section. Many topics seem to resurface from time to time, if this was put into a general area, like the gallery is, it would save alot of time. I'm sure there are many areas that were covered by members who are no longer active. This would be a place where the info can be retrieved by others who need the info. Mike

390cs68rcode

for the record I would like to vote Scott GT/CS Mustang as a verifier for this new section. He really knows his stuff. Maybe we could have a few "moderators" for this section to run stuff by to get it right and make it official or "CS Verified".

whatcha think?

68MustangHCS

I was hoping for a reference section here while working on my undercarriage detail. It's great to have people who are willing to share photos and information. Russ shared his detail photos with me and I really appreciated that. As I mentioned in a earlier post, this website needs a reference section. Thanks Danny for bringing that up again. I am sure others have wanted the same thing and have said so in earlier posts. I think its a great idea and would cut down on a lot of repeating questions like what color is this supposed to be? Is it painted or unpainted etc. What color grille, the water pump...etc.etc..etc... Not everyone can afford a GT/CS recognition guide, and they don't come available very often....I say go with it!

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

I thought we should have some moderators, as well. I would volunteer if you all feel confident in my knowledge. I feel we should have a couple people to moderate.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
This is a great idea and I'm all for it.

The question is how to set it up.

I think the best way would be to make a separate "Reference Forum." This new forum would then have sub-forums like "suspension", "engine", "body", etc. The "articles" would just be posts in the proper sub-forum. The photos would have to be attachments to that post. (I can bump up the max number of photo attachements if needed.)

I'm wondering if these articles/threads should be locked after they're made, or left open so members can reply or comment? I like the idea of keeping it open, but I think we would need to really enforce that replies be kept totally on-topic.

I thought about using the Gallery, but it isn't really set up well to handle something like this. We have something similar in the old Gallery with reference photos, but without the ability to write much explanation.

390cs68rcode

I like the idea of keeping it open, but I think we would need to really enforce that replies be kept totally on-topic.

I agree this needs to be completely on topic. maybe if they get off topic delete the off topic responses?

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

The 428cobra jet registry has a very good reference section, IMO. This is what I was thinking . Although the old gallery my work...a picture is worth a thousand words. The Boss 302 registry has photos only and VMF has a separate forum for concourse questions.

I think anything to get us started would be a benefit.

Danny

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Danny, do you have a link to the 428CJ reference section? I browsed their site and didn't see one.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
OK, I set up the new Restoration Reference forum here: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/f15-restoration-reference.html

Here's the description and guidelines I set for it.

The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere. Include your sources and/or photos for documentation.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Jason, thanks for posting the link.

Jon, thanks for getting the Restoration Reference forum up, I hope it will prove beneficial to everyone here.