• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Windshield woes

franklinair

I'm not happy with the windshield on my green CS: miniscule pock marks that look like prior damage (sand, stones, etc.) that don't polish out. NPD advertises two Carlite windshields, one with a blue tint along the top , and one 'tinted'. The difference is several hundred $$$. Its been 25/30 years since I replaced a windshield. Which is the best way to go?
Also, who makes the best quality windshield seal?

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 35

Ruppstang

Neil you can buy the new black label Carlite with the top tint band at most any local glass shop for around $120. If you want a more correct white script Carlite label with a date code call PS Auto Glass in Janesville WI. Be prepared to pay around $275 plus shipping. Clear glass is hard to find and more expensive.
I like to use the Daniel Carpenter seals, you also will need a tube of 3M 8509 glazing and bedding. I assume that you know how pull them in using a cord.
Hope this helps Marty

dalorzo_f

Hmm... that is odd. I had a decent stone chip (filled prior to polishing) and some very large scratches polished out (professionally). I was amazed at how well the glass came back.

Can't say on the NPD Carlite. But I have found the Carpenter seals to be OK. One thing to look at is sizing the seal to the glass, I found some repro glass is far thinner than OEM and the seals don't fit right. But local Australian glass so not a match to what you would find in the US.

As for install, I put some 3M in the seal gap where the window goes before applying. I also put a small bead of sealant down in the opening under each clip before installing them, about a 3/16" bead 1" long or so to seal the base of the clip, as that seems a common leak point. Install the glass/seal into the opening dry (except for the clips) then seal from the outside using a fine tip, squeezing a ton of selant into the gap. No goo on the inside that way.

Last edited:

mbsf1970

Neil,
Hard to believe (at least it was to me) but I replaced the Original windshield in Doug last year.....I used the blue strip tinted Carlite windshield. I am well pleased with it. Best of luck with your choice,
Stephen

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks. Its been a few mango seasons since I replaced a windshield (1980+/-). Marty & Richard's info managed to update me as what is currently in use, so I'll get everything ordered.

Neil

robert campbell

Dad,
One thing nice about replacing the windshield is there is no need to be nice to the old gasket. I carefully cut mine out so as not to damage any of the little prongs for the wind shield trim.

My GNS had the worst windshield I have ever seen. It was "sandblasted" over the years and nearly impossible to see out of at night in the rain. I had a new carlight installed in 1989 when the car was painted and I put the new vinyl top on.

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I found the correct Carlite windshield @ Mustangs Unlimited in Atlanta. Going to pick up tomorrow (and save $200 shipping cost). They also have the Daniel Carpenter seal and 3M sealant.

Neil