• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS New Engine on its Way!

GreenSpark

Hi all,
My car has been down for awhile as I awaited a new engine. I had a rebuilt 390 (from a 68 Fairlane) which I reworked 3 times over the last 18 years. The damned thing never stopped smoking. I ordered a new engine built by Carolina Machine Engine. They shipped it to me yesterday, so I should be back in business in a few weeks (once a few more things get taken care of as well).

In any case, I thought I'd share my torque / HP graph and see what you all thought.

-Patrick

Attachments

• 390 HP-Torque Graph.pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 87

Don

Hi all,
My car has been down for awhile as I awaited a new engine. I had a rebuilt 390 (from a 68 Fairlane) which I reworked 3 times over the last 18 years. The damned thing never stopped smoking. I ordered a new engine built by Carolina Machine Engine. They shipped it to me yesterday, so I should be back in business in a few weeks (once a few more things get taken care of as well).

In any case, I thought I'd share my torque / HP graph and see what you all thought.

-Patrick

Seems reasonable but hard to say without knowing the test conditions (bare motor/flywheel/trans/exhaust ect.) and where and how the output was measured.

OP
OP
G

GreenSpark

Test Sheet

Sea level. Standard Navy Day. ;-)

The full test sheet is attached. I pulled the numbers into Excel to see the curve.

Attachments

• Dyno Sheet.pdf
    141.5 KB · Views: 38

FX4

I'm with Rob, looks like a torque monster. That thing should be a tire eater. My only real question is why did they start the dyno run at 2850 RPM? Personally I would like to see it down to at least 2k RPM or even off idle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenSpark

Agreed. I'd like to have had the whole band, but that's what they sent. Good thing I have a limited slip differential so I wear the tires somewhat evenly. It's a 3:55, so it won't be too terrible.

FX4

One of my buddies in high school had a GT390 and he could stomp on the gas pedal and smoke both rear tires at 40 MPH. He claimed the thing was factory stock. I don't know if it was or not, but it sure made for a lot of fun.