• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Little Blue Coupe

Ruppstang

I am restoring this 67 Night Mist Blue coupe and have been writing articles for our club news letters. I thought some of you might enjoy watching a non concours restoration. I have a few upgrades plan for it but would welcome your suggestions. No Rob I am not putting a Super Cobra Jet in it, but it will sport more power that the Ford assembly line gave it.

Little Blue Coupe

Eric’s mom and dad were married in 1977 and his grandparents who owned a used car dealer ship in Cortland NE. gave his parents this car as their wedding gift. His parents then moved to Loveland CO. where they drove it as their daily transportation for several years. The years of use had taken its toll and the car was in need of many repairs. Eric’s dad liked to work on cars started a makeover on the car. He found a 68 200ci and a 4spd top loader from a 66 Fairlane 390 GT and installed them in the car. He also had it repainted and that is where it went wrong. It was a very poor paint job and he was discouraged with it and quit working on the car. He put it in storage until they moved back to Nebraska where it was then stored in his brothers shed in Adams Ne. Six years ago Eric’s dad passed away and he move the car to his garage in Lincoln. All together the car had been stored for over 30 years. Eric said he had never seen the car run. That explains why it is so rust free.
The car came with new seat covers, headliner, carpet and a lot of New Old Stock Ford parts. 30 years ago there were not many reproduction parts so when you worked on your Mustang you went to a Ford dealer for most of your parts.

I really did not need another project but could not resist such a rust free project with all of the extras. A deal was made and little blue coupe went home with me. Here is what she looked like after removing 30 years of dirt. The paint job looks better than it is, she will get a pretty new coat of Night mist blue in the coming months.

I plan to restore then sell this Little Blue Coupe and thought the club might find the restoration process interesting. I will bring you updates as the restoration process progresses. I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions for this build as it will not be a concours car.
Tari says that my cars are my mistresses; well I have to go little blue is waiting for me.
Marty Rupp

Attachments

• 2015-10-29 15.48.46.jpg
    2015-10-29 15.48.46.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 67 Night mist blue coupe 5.JPG
    67 Night mist blue coupe 5.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2015-11-04 14.23.03.jpg
    2015-11-04 14.23.03.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

CougarCJ

Restore and sell? You or Tari are probably going to fall in love with it.

Will you be warming up the 6 banger, or small block V-8?

1967 was still using 7-1/4 rear ends?

robert campbell

That is a 4 lug car for sure! Those rear ends are fun to explode! They are made of cheese! And the tiny brakes!!! I have rebuilt many top loaders if you need it done! But shipping is so expensive! Arlie is always looking for an excuse to drive somewhere!! And he has a new truck!!

I did a restomod for my brother and nephew on a 1964 Comet Caliente 6 shooter car. The best thing bout a six shooter car is most times they are not beat and not cut up. The Comet was pristine! When we bought it the owner had a small block 4 speed car and I showed my brother all the stress areas from abuse. The six shooter was so much nicer.

Can't wait to spend yo buck-a-laros!!! Coyote???

Rob

robert campbell

A Coyote would empty his pockets, but why would I care!!! Ot just a nice naturally aspirate 8.2 deck height block (289/302) stroked to 347 or 363 will do the trick!!! 5 Speed and around a 3.7 or 3.9 rear end ratio will provide great cruising! 8 or 9 inch. 9 inch if you want to slick up and race. Gotta dump the six cylinder rear end anyway!! Stan Johnson headers to tuck up nice and tight. Maybe a refurbished dash???

Some sport 500 R seats and away we go!!! Marty's pockets are deep!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I do not know how I messed up that paragraph so much, but it is fixed now. Sorry about that.

Guys the idea here is to save the car, used some of Marty's non concours parts and to sell for more than I have invested in it. My plan is to do one or two cars like this and sell them to fund the GT350 Restoration.

This is tough to build a car and stay on the task of making a profit not building the car I would want to have. I will tell you it is going to have a 289 ,4spd, duel exhaust and V8 suspension. You guys could give a Concours guy a hardtack, Coyote motor! Now if one of you wanted to be the future owner of this sweet ride the sky is the limit. Lets talk.

I was thinking the new aluminum styled steel mags with the blue centers 15X7s
What do you think?
I am working on next months article will post as soon as it is done.
Marty

robert campbell

Those wheels would look awesome!!!

Sooooo.... 289, dual exhaust, 4 speed. From a cost standpoint a 3.00 open 8 inch is the cheapest option. From a marketing standpoint and cheap performance would be to source a good used Tremac 5 speed. They are everywhere and if you may be able to actually make some money going to the 5 speed. The old "loader" still had at least straight across value to the Tremac. You can still use the 3.00 8 inch, but a step to a 3.50 8 inch open (many Mavericks had them) or a 3.25 would really increase the get up and go factor that could translate to mo bucks at sale.

Next question is what do you have for a motor already? If none, we can look this way. Remember Arlie has a truck!! Boy is this fun!!

If stock exhaust manifolds are to be used, just a stock or mild build. 500 CFM Edelbrock carb on a stock or performer intake manifold. Just like what Neil would do.

Now if you can (or Rob) find a set of heads with some mild port work and then go to a shorty JBA header (fit great with power steering) we could get measureable horsey increase. I would go to an Extreme Energy Comp Cam flat tappet. Great vacuum and mo power. Get a set of Comp Cam roller tip rockers. Same price as stock ones, unless your old ones are reusable. The heads, cam, and shorty headers are worth at least 75 HP with the same RPM band. Way more seat of the pants feel.

When painting I might consider the Lemans stripes in stark white. This really brings this car from great to AWESOME!! Huge market value upgrade. This guy did them in vinyl?? But they really make a Mustang coupe pop. It will just drip with performance attitude with those wheels!!!

Rob

robert campbell

Marty,
Sorry. The Torque Thrust of course!! Never been a big fan of the Style Steel Wheels until 1968.

That picture of the 1967 Coupe is a good shot for other thoughts. To me the lack of the rocker panel molding makes it a bit blah to me. The owner of Val's Fastback removed the gas cap and the Ford letters on the hood. There was a point in time that "de-chroming" was all the vogue. I never liked it that much. I have toyed with re-installing a fake pop open GT gas cap (her car was originally a GTA) in the back again. I think it looks a bit odd myself, but have not done it.

As for the side of the blue coupe, a matching GT side strip in white to match to Lemans stripes would be "my" choice. with nice new rocker moldings. But that is me of course. Tired of me yet!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I like the Torque Thrust Ds too. My son's 67 GTA in the thread Late Winters Drive has them. As for the lack of a rocker molding I too think it looks plain. I will use the molding but not sure about any stripes. Here are some of the things I have ready for the car. It is a C code 289 I am thinking of adding a 4V iron intake and a Autolite 4100 if I can talk Rob in to working his magic on it.

Attachments

• 2015-01-28 00.18.00.jpg
    2015-01-28 00.18.00.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2015-01-28 00.17.27.jpg
    2015-01-28 00.17.27.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2015-01-28 00.16.58.jpg
    2015-01-28 00.16.58.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2015-01-28 00.18.27.jpg
    2015-01-28 00.18.27.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2015-01-28 00.18.47.jpg
    2015-01-28 00.18.47.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25

robert campbell

No problem on the 4100. I assume you have a good core that is sized for the 289? She will be wet tested and ready to go! Pony Carbs had a plastic insert that dropped in the primary's to decrease the primary venture and improve the low speed response and the vacuum signal. If you can find some of these it would be a nice add to the 4100 on a 289.

Rob

Mosesatm

Marty,
Since you need to replace the front spindles are you switching over to disc?

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Marty,
Since you need to replace the front spindles are you switching over to disc?

67-68 6cil. spindles are the same as V8 ones.
Last year we added disc brakes to my son's 67 GTA so everything we removed from his car will work on this one and the parts were still nearly new.
Discs are for the new owner to do.
Marty

franklinair

I've only done one 6 cyl model. Get this: 6 cyl, A/T, P/S, Factory A/C. It was sweet. Candy Apple, red interior.
I bought it from the original owner (a RN) and it was whipped: rod knock, interior literally ragged out. When I finished it I invited her to come see the car. She was flabbergasted. Said it was just like it was when she bought it. :smile:
I sold it to a man, purchasing it for his 16 year old son. Fond memory.

Neil

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I've only done one 6 cyl model. Get this: 6 cyl, A/T, P/S, Factory A/C. It was sweet. Candy Apple, red interior.
I bought it from the original owner (a RN) and it was whipped: rod knock, interior literally ragged out. When I finished it I invited her to come see the car. She was flabbergasted. Said it was just like it was when she bought it. :smile:
I sold it to a man, purchasing it for his 16 year old son. Fond memory.

Neil

Neil I have done several 6s and they are surprisingly real nice driving cars, light and nimble and nice to steer with out power steering. Here is a picture of the last 6 that I did. It was a Sprint.
Neil you are far more experienced in flipping cars that I , What things would you do to this car to help it sell with out breaking the bank?
Marty

Attachments

• 2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 021_crop.jpg
    2012 Fall Mustang Pictures 021_crop.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 25

whodat

Would 68 coil springs work on a 67? I have a new stock set that I don't need. They were bought for my 68, 289 C-Code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Coils or leaf springs? The year is not too important, the model and equipment is what spring is selected for.
Marty