• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Undercarriage

Willy 1

Hi I am detailing the undercarriage of my car and am curious as to what colour it would have been painted from the factory. This one is black but not sure if somebody has redone it before and painted it that colour. Older models not GT/CS cars I have worked on where the red primer but no sign of that on this car. Any ideas? Thanks

Mosesatm

Yes, it should definitely be red oxide primer with areas of body color overspray. I’ll look later for some good examples.

J_Speegle

- A 68 San Jose built car would have been painted on the bottom using jets mounted below the moving body from approx the firewall area rear ward prior to the application of the interior and exterior paint (in that order)

- The frame rails and forward (from the firewall area) reward was then sprayed by hand. Both applications were of a red oxide primer sealer (not the Rustoluem looking stuff) a red oxide colored epoxy primer/sealer which produced a smooth somewhat glossy finish not the flat finish we think of when we thing primer. The paint source for each of the applications came from a different source so the tone and tint of the two applications, firewall rearward and firewall forward often was different - either slightly or more noticable. Color varied during the production year. You car, if not restored or repainted, is the best place to find the original color. If that is no longer possible - if you post when the car was built we should be able to provide what other cars were painted with (color, tone and tint) from around the same time. Have pictures and a bag of samples I've cut from donor cars over the years with matching VIN's on each.

- On the main and rear floor area of the car the red oxide normally faded out just before the rear cross member leaving some bare steel or lightly oversprayed, just before the galvanized rear cross member.

- Over this (under the car) you would have sealers, body color overspray or direct application from painting the rear wheel wells and frame, rocker panels and so on during the exterior paint application.

- Over this there would be black overspray at the area at the bottom of the firewall (in wheel wells and back of engine compartment area onto the red oxide in those area

- Over this there would be black overspray or some (at logical locations) from the pinchweld black out process.

While your going through ll the effort - don't forget to address the 8 dolly marks on the bottom of the car and and a couple in the trunk at least where they will be possibly visible after the car is assembled. There are two more that can be seen in the interior but end up under the carpet.

For a general idea of the whole process I suggest you look at an article from CM that covers the 67 San Jose built cars. Its pretty close to what they did in 68 also

Hope this helps

https://www.docdroid.net/dNrBoiu/article-opensource-67sanjoseunder-19v6.pdf

OP
OP
W

Willy 1

Thanks for the reply's. I thought this car should have the red oxide primer under it but I have pretty well cleaned the whole undercarriage and have not found any of it starting to thing it was taken down to the bare metal at one time and sprayed with a black semi gloss paint or possibly a primer. The frame rails that are visible in the rear wheel well opening are the same colour as the exterior but other then that everything is black.
Jeff this car was built on Feb 20/68 and that is a great article that you attached.
Thanks

J_Speegle

In Feb 68 San Jose was applying red oxide as posted above for both area. There is a fairly late short period where they tested (applied for a short period) a slop "grey". Likely to test what they would do in 69 at that plant for most of the year. San Jose had also used a very dark gray/black for a few months during 65 production also.

Glad to help - good luck with the project

franklinair

I'm sure I've seen quality photos of the under carriage on our site but can't seem to find them now. (Marty's HCS thread?)

Neil

J_Speegle

If we need pictures of original 68 San Jose floors should have 5-600 pictures of different details, sealants and small differences between time periods and/or the handful of workers normally assigned to this task that production year

If you choose two there are a number of threads over on the ConcoursMustang site related to reproducing things like drips and dolly marks in greater depth

JohnRoller

Thanks - I see you're looking for what holds the CS emblem pins in place. It's not a nut of any type, but a pin fastener. I can take a pic and send if you want - let me know.

Ruppstang

Hey John congrats on the nice article about your car in the Mustang Times.
Marty

OP
OP
W

Willy 1

John if you could do that when you get a chance it would be a great help. So I know what I am looking for. These emblems have been riding this way for a long time and I think it is just a matter of time before they fall off. Thanks Again

JohnRoller

Thanks Marty. Funny thing; I didn't know it was going in. I just wrote an email to highlight why I thought it should be considered and that was put directly in. I wouldn't have written that for an article. The pictures came out great.

JohnRoller

Willy - the car is in storage, so I'll get there next weekend to take that picture. Again, you want to see how the "CS" emblems on the R quarters are held in place when it left the factory, correct?

gtcs1

John if you could do that when you get a chance it would be a great help. So I know what I am looking for. These emblems have been riding this way for a long time and I think it is just a matter of time before they fall off. Thanks Again

Here you are.

Pierre

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
W

Willy 1

Pierre thanks for the picture that is what I quessed would work. They are hard to find that small at my local suppliers. But can be ordered. Thanks for posting
John the above picture shows me what I need. Thanks again for volunteering to post a picture.

gtcs1

Pierre thanks for the picture that is what I quessed would work. They are hard to find that small at my local suppliers. But can be ordered. Thanks for posting
John the above picture shows me what I need. Thanks again for volunteering to post a picture.

You're welcome. I recall I bought a few years back a NOS clip nuts spare set and toss it in boxes. If ever I can find the part number (a Ford no), I'll add it back in this thread.