• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gold Nugget Special

68sunlitgold

Tom,
This came from the "mustang specials" website. When I was up in Seattle I say a few of these around, there are also GT/CS's that are "Gold Nugget Specials", I guess you could call them "Special, Specials".

"The Gold Nugget Special is an interesting Mustang sold out of the Seattle District Sales Office in 1968. These Sunlit Yellow Mustangs totaled 525 and had unique golden plaques on the dashboard with the original owners names engraved. Along with the special yellow paint all recieved the louvered hood with black stripes. All GNS Mustangs have the DSO (74) plus four digits "1111" as well as the color code '"Y". "

Doug

P

PNewitt

Thanks, Doug for the neat website...

When I interviewed Lee Grey in 1987, I asked him about these "anomaly" 74-1111 Cal Specials, called "Gold Nugget Specials".

He told me that he remembered that his (sales district) assistant had made a separate deal with some northwest dealers, including Southern Oregon, to buy these cars. I'm pretty sure that the registry reflects these are very early production (GT/CS) cars.

As a side note--Iaccoca was the promoter of the local specials idea within Ford marketing.

Paul.

OP
OP
T

Talan423

doug-
thanks for reminding me about that website, i think we had discussed it a couple of years ago. i completely forgot about it.
i wonder why they (ford) didn't dress up the GNS a little more than just a personalized plaque and gold interior? maybe some fog lamps or even an exterior decal.
hope all is well in korea!

tom

P

PNewitt

Back then, and sometimes today, the way that limited editions were done was through "Ford Dealer Associations". These groups are local, or within a given area, like the Bay Area, or Denver Area, etc...

They don't always have the money to do a lot, or make too many things other than vinyl tops, paint and emblems. The ONLY motivation to do these cars is because of marketing--and getting the "iron out the door". When sales are down, you see these types of marketing things happen.

Paul.

p.s. Doug--send a want list for small stuff to mail you there in Korea...like car magazines, etc... I have a few gems for you.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=Talan423 link=board=1;threadid=838;start=0#msg4657 date=1080262409]
i wonder why they (ford) didn't dress up the GNS a little more than just a personalized plaque and gold interior? [/quote]

That's all the '66-'67 HCS's were...