• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Pics Request

BroadwayBlue

Could someone post for me or point me to a picture in the Gallery of some engine pics?

I'm looking for a 289 or 302 that is close to correct/original colors, etc ...

Especially around the distributor area would be great.

I was searching the gallery but it was taking forever ... :rolleyes:

Just being lazy I guess ... Thanks!

PFSlim

Rich

I will leave it to others to comment about the correctness of my engine and engine bay but will post a picture of ours to assist you in the right or wrong way.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01226.JPG
    DSC01226.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 50

PFSlim

Here are a couple of pics before we installed the engine. Notice these are not the valve covers we ended up using.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang231.JPG
    Stang231.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Stang227.JPG
    Stang227.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 29

franklinair

Paul's pics & color look correct to me. The only difference I noted was the mounting position of the coil, but the prior '68's I had were east coast cars with P/S & A/C which pretty well fill up the left side of the engine compartment. The ones I had, had the coil mounted 1.) on top of the intake almost directly behind the distributor mounted horizontally, yellow top towards the front. OR 2.) Mounted vertically on the front of the right head. Bear in mind, these were not San Jose cars. I cannot attest to the west coast procedures. Hope this helps
Neil Hoppe

P.S.
If you look at the photos of the red C/S currently on Ebay, the engine picture shows the coil mounted on the intake manifold.

Last edited:

mmarsalone

Rich,

Here are a couple of mine. It's not concours by any means, but is a decent an attempt at a proper driver. My coil is on the intake as Neil states above.

Attachments

• ZZ_Engine_1 (Large).jpg
    ZZ_Engine_1 (Large).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ZZ_Engine_2 (Large).jpg
    ZZ_Engine_2 (Large).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thanks everyone! Great looking engines ... all of them!!

What color are the clips on the distributor? Are they natural or black?
The MCA rules don't specifically state that.

Also - what is the correct color of the hood hinges and hood springs?
I think they're supposed to be phosphate? I'm not sure I know what that is except for some pictures I've seen.
On my new CS, it looks like they tried to paint them to attempt a phosphate look ... but it's a glossy gray and the only painted some parts like the springs (not hinges), hood latch, trunk latch, door latch, oil dipstick, etc. Some of them are wrong, like the oil stick which I think should be blue. I was thinking of painting the ones that should be natural or phosphate with something I have called "Spray Gray" from Eastwood which I like the look of for metal parts. It might not be exactly correct but gives a nice natural look finish.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks again!

Russ

Hi Rich,
If you are interested in a 289, C code engine bay that is pure stock, please check out my highland green GT/CS on Russ's Gallery. Hope it helps
Russ

franklinair

A picture is worth a thousand words! Perfect detailing. The distributor cap clips should be natural (can't see them in photo). Also (as the photo shows) the coil is mounted on the intake manifold, right side.
Neil

PFSlim

Rich

I thought all the hood hinges, brackets, latches, etc., were the flat black that matched the engine compartment?? I am not saying that for sure but just always thought that was the case.

Paul

franklinair

I found this in the MCA judging rules for '68's: "Hood Hinges and Springs; original style. Phosphate and oil finish." The closest I have found to achieve this is an aerosol called CAST BLAST, by Seymour paints. I also use this color for the hood latch pieces. It's a good finish, and contrasts nicely with the predominant black surfaces. Hope this helps
Neil Hoppe

P

PNewitt

I guess you're not looking for this.

Joe:

I think that your cold air flapper servo on your snorkel isn't supposed to have a belt-driven pulley, and the air cleaner is supposed to be round, not shaped like a pregnant intake manifold; and it's painted Ford blue not silver.

Other than that, hey! you're bone stock!!

LOL!

Paul.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Russ, I've been using some pictures of your car that you sent me awhile ago of factory markings. A few of those show the engine. I'll check the gallery as well.

Paul (PFSlim), I also thought they were supposed to be black as well until I checked out the MCA rules and noticed Russ engine pics he sent me awhile back.

Neil, That Cast Blast sounds like this Spray Gray I use from Eastwood. I love the look of that.

Here are some links to the Eastwood colors.

Spray Gray
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=120&itemType=PRODUCT

Detail Gray
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=124&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=124

3 pack of the Spray Gray, Detail Gray and Aluma Blast?
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=249&itemType=PRODUCT

Zinc phosphate

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=566&itemType=PRODUCT

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I was looking through this book I bought recently
Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962-1969

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

and there is a complete list of engine part colors so I had most of the the information I needed all along, just didn't know it at the time. :cool:

This book has become an invaluable source of information so far, I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Sorry for another question ... :confused: I've looked all over but can't find this one.

What is the correct color of the heater blower motor where it comes through the firewall (engine side)? Is it natural or black? I've tried to find pics but it seems like we all take pics at an angle from the drivers side or from the top where it's blocked by the brace and other parts.

I'm looking for the color of the blower motor on a car without A/C. Not sure if that matters

A number of parts on my new 289 were painted a gray color. I think they were trying to copy the phosphate and natural colors. Not all are correct and I want to fix them since I'm not crazy about they way they look. (I think I already said this in an earlier post). The blower motor was one piece they painted gray.

I actually need to order a new blower motor, it looks like they come in black. If that's correct I'll leave it as is.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thanks Guys!!

I thought it was black too but wanted to double check.

I looked through Mannel's book (but I guess it's not really an engine part) and I looked at the MCA rules too and I couldn't find it either Casey.

I'm not going concourse but would like to do things right where I can. I didn't think it was right that they painted it a different color.

Thanks again! Sorry to be a pain!

Rich

nfrntau

Here's a photo of my blower motor, non-restored 289 non A/C. It appears to be satin black. I can't see any evidence that this blower was ever taken apart or repainted.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3219.JPG
    DSCF3219.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 25