• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Underhood Restoration

Perkchiro

Here's another question for those more experienced in restoration. Is there a good resource book for restoration of the underhood area? I want to re-run wiring and use original decals in their proper positions. Any help would be appreciated.

rvrtrash

What I do is take a lot of pictures before I start taking things apart. That way I can reference them when I get ready to start putting it back together. Words of wisdom---if using a conventional camera, get the pictures developed before you start disassembling and if using digital, store them on a CD in addition to your hard drive. Guess how I found out about these things.
:mad:

Steve

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

That's a great idea. The problem is, the engine bay has been apparently changed somewhat with a poor detailing effort and decals removed. Wiring has been cut and reattached in a few locations too. Plastic wire looms have deteriorated. You get the picture. I've viewed the pictures of engine bays on this website. Many of you have done great jobs detailing underhood and I just wondered if there was a printed resource to help me with the details. Thanks for your response, much appreciated!

Steve

PFSlim

Steve is right. Take as many photo's as you can. However, our car was so bad that we still did not have a clue where everything went. We did three things:

1. We had a pretty bad donor car but it provided us with at least some leads.

2. There are several books for restoration. I have one at home that is borrowed from a buddy that shows motor compartments, stickers, etc. We came across this after we finished ours. Also, don't forget about Paul's book. It is the best resource for our cars.

3. The biggest help is right here on the site. Look at the gallery photo's. If you get stuck, ask someone here to post a picture for you. Everyone here is more than willing to share information and photo's.

Lastly, Nixa isn't that far from Kansas City. Come and visit us and maybe we can help you by looking at our car!!!

Paul

bbeatty

Perkchiro,

You're in luck! ;D

There's a Mustang Club National show in Kansas City June 24, 25 and 26. http://vintagemustangofkc.com/2005 National Show.htm
There will be a couple of hundred beautifully restored Mustangs on display for your enjoyment. Bring your camera and plan on spending a few hours documenting everything you want. If I can get my overheating problems figured out, there may even be a GT/CS around somewhere! If you need plans for the rest of the family while your looking at Mustangs just let me know!

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

Thanks for the info Paul. I'm up in Kansas City periodically and would love to see your car. If you would like, email me your phone and address and I'll call you when I'm back in your area. Thanks a lot. My email is : Perkchiro@hotmail.com

PFSlim

[quote author=bbeatty link=board=1;threadid=1798;start=0#msg11559 date=1118762217]
Perkchiro,

You're in luck! ;D

There's a Mustang Club National show in Kansas City June 24, 25 and 26. http://vintagemustangofkc.com/2005 National Show.htm
There will be a couple of hundred beautifully restored Mustangs on display for your enjoyment. Bring your camera and plan on spending a few hours documenting everything you want. If I can get my overheating problems figured out, there may even be a GT/CS around somewhere! If you need plans for the rest of the family while your looking at Mustangs just let me know!
[/quote]

Brian B. - We have somewhat taken this off our schedule since we have to go to the All Ford Show at KCIR. If you are going to show and you want us to come, please let me know. I have already given Sat away but could do Sunday.

Paul