• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What color stripes should I have?

anthony m

I just recently purchased a 1968 gt/cs and the car is originally gulfstream aqua, but has been white for the last 27 years. The guy that I bought the car from said that he thought the stripes were originally red. Can anyone help me determine what color my stripes should be with gulfstream aqua?

Thanks,
Anthony

Mosesatm

I just recently purchased a 1968 gt/cs and the car is originally gulfstream aqua, but has been white for the last 27 years. The guy that I bought the car from said that he thought the stripes were originally red. Can anyone help me determine what color my stripes should be with gulfstream aqua?

Thanks,
Anthony

Most likely white or black. Does the car have a vinyl top? If so, what color is it? If not, what color is the interior?

Mosesatm

My car doesn't have a vinyl top and the interior is black.

There is no way to tell for sure unless you can find remnants of the old stripes, but with a black interior odds are the stripes were also black.

nfrntau

I found original stripe remnants at the inside of the forward edge of the door on both sides, you might look there.
Another place you could look carefully might be the scoops

J.Bart

i thought the interior color determined the color of the stripes?
was it a guideline, and not necessarily a rule?

Mosesatm

i thought the interior color determined the color of the stripes?
was it a guideline, and not necessarily a rule?

Since no-one has presented any solid evidence of the connection between the two it's probably prudent to consider it only a guideline.

For black or white interiors it seems to be a pretty good guideline but how about my car which is aqua with an aqua interior?

Last edited:

carezcs

My Gulf Stream Aqua has a black interior and white stripes for what it's worth. But I also don't know if they are the original color.
Bruce

franklinair

(If it were my car) Aqua Exterior/Interior = White Stripe. White Exterior/Red Interior = Red Stripe. These would be my personal choices, and in all likelyhood correct & acceptable.

Neil

J.Bart

i have never really thought about it? i guess i have only seen the basic colored gt/cs cars, black, red, white. all that would have basic interiors. or if it was a blue or such, they had black interior. interesting.

OP
OP
A

anthony m

Thanks for all the imput. I guess I'll try to see if I can find any remnants of the original decals and go from there. The decals should be non-reflective?

csgt428

My car is gulfstream aqua with two tone aqua interior. I am trying to figure out what color stripes as well..... Right now I'm leaning towards white, red or gold.... Is gold definitely wrong?? I'm thinking it might look cool but I don't want to do it if they NEVER came that way.....

franklinair

The 2 options would be White or Black. "68 gave 4 choices: Red, White, Blue, Black.
Gold is after market, not 'correct' for '68, even though on some body colors it looks good.

Neil

Last edited: