• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What is our place in the Mustang World?

P

PNewitt

I posed this question to see what your thoughts are about the GT/CS, and where it fits in the grand picture of the Mustang world, overall.

We know that the '68 version was "Inspired by the Shelby GT". yet it still draws attention on it's own as a stand-alone Mustang. It always gets that bit of unique attention at car shows, even parked next to new Corvettes, or high-end sports cars.

The late models are about to find their niche right now, if not very soon! It's not a Shelby GT, or GT-500, nor it is a Saleen, nor Roush, nor Steeda, etc.

It's a GT/CS. California Inspired. Unique.

We can add any performance item under the hood that the other variants have, and compete with the best. Joe's CS is a perfect example. With both versions, we can have just about anything under the hood, and not advertise, because there are no cubic inches emblems on the fenders. A bit if a "sleeper" element there... to our advantage.

So...how would you define "our place in the Mustang world" for the GT/CS, new, and/or original???

Thank you for your comments,

Paul N.

QuarterHorse

My comments pertain mainly to the late models:

1. As you have already stated.... unique.
2. Handsome. Its just a great looking Mustang right out of the factory. Aggresive looking, but not overdone.
3. A screaming deal in the Mustang world. For around $1900 (sticker) you get the same body package and wheels as a Shelby GT, a gorgeous two-toned interior (unique only to the GT/CS), a unique stripe package, and other little GT/CS markings. Not to mention a car that is more rare than a Shelby GT500 if you look at the production numbers.
4. A real conversation starter at the car shows and in general. I come across so many people who know its a Mustang, but not exactly sure what it is. It is fun to observe the puzzled look on their face as they walk around the car. I really enjoy telling the story behind the car and the original '68 GT/CS, pointing out all of the unique features of this special Mustang and pointing out in what ways it carries on the heritage of the original GT/CS.

miller511

Paul,

I think the new CS brings back memories for people.
A few times since I bought my new gen CS, while getting gas, someone in the next bay will ask me "What does the CS stand for?" and I proceed to them. "It stands for California Special!!!" And they say " Oh, yeah. I remember those. So they're making them again. Cool."

-Jeff

CougarCJ

Tough call.

The 1968 GT/CS's have earned their place in the Mustang world today. Not entirely on their own. They rode that wave with the rest of the Classic Mustangs. The 68 Cal Spec and HCS's have a little more sumpin' sumpin' that allows them to rise to the top though.

To me they have become popular and prestigious partly from the test of time, and greatly because of the pride of ownership by the owners, the carefully documented history that you helped create, and sites like this that keep the flame alive.

The newer late model GT/CS Mustangs are going to have to earn their own place in history. Time will tell.

Many Mustang owners are waiting and hoping to see if the Mustang II's like the Cobra, and King Cobra ever make it to the big time. Some of the Fox bodies too, 1982 GT, 1984 GT-350, SVO's, GT Turbo, and McLaren's.

The late model body style has been a hit with the public. I think that it is a great looking car, much better than all the previous models back to the fox platform. It also came at a time when there was a huge void in the American car muscle line up. The recognizable retro styling and Mustang name put it in the spotlight.
Ford wasn't stupid either, they made sure that this Mustang was made available to the aftermarket companies prior to the debut. Remember SEMA that year? The aftermarket segment had many goodies available for the Mustang just as it was becoming readily available at the dealers.

I also want to mention that too much, or negative exposure can have a detrimental effect on the outcome of the future. Eleanor anyone?

You also can't rule out the generational thing either. The pony and muscle car era of the late 60's and early 70's is legendary. The baby boomers have been at a point in their lives for several decades now where they have been buying these types of cars and enjoying their retirements and empty nest period of their lives. I think that the generation that has entered the workforce over the last dozen years and the next 8 to 10 years will be the ones that decide what happens. They will be the ones possibly embracing these types of cars in the future.

Time will tell.

hotrodgrany

My comments pertain mainly to the late models:

1. As you have already stated.... unique.
2. Handsome. Its just a great looking Mustang right out of the factory. Aggresive looking, but not overdone.
3. A screaming deal in the Mustang world. For around $1900 (sticker) you get the same body package and wheels as a Shelby GT, a gorgeous two-toned interior (unique only to the GT/CS), a unique stripe package, and other little GT/CS markings. Not to mention a car that is more rare than a Shelby GT500 if you look at the production numbers.
4. A real conversation starter at the car shows and in general. I come across so many people who know its a Mustang, but not exactly sure what it is. It is fun to observe the puzzled look on their face as they walk around the car. I really enjoy telling the story behind the car and the original '68 GT/CS, pointing out all of the unique features of this special Mustang and pointing out in what ways it carries on the heritage of the original GT/CS.

Here to, love telling the history of mine, you can come across someone that when they see GT/CS, it brings back memories, this happened to me when I first got mine. So glad I desided on my GT/CS.

spoiler

As a new comer to the GT/CS world I can't understand why when a nice GT/CS comes up for sale in the $30,000 dollar range that is looked on as huge money.but looking at the Shelby ,Boss market which is way up !I think the CS's are a deal .Is it because they don't have the racing history of a Boss or Shelby ? I paid $4000 for my 390 X-code CS it needs a complete ground up but it is a complete running car.But I have second thoughts about sinking the money into the car.What do you guys think a car like this with a nice resto and fully detailed undercarriage is worth.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

First of all, I appreciate the excellent responses so far. I have high hopes for ALL GT/CS Mustangs in the coming years and decades.

What I noticed at the GAS show at Galpin was that this was the first time that BOTH the old guard GT/CSs, and the late models were together in such numbers. I didn't hear one negative word about either.

Certainly, to have a preference is fine, but these cars elicit a real affectionate response, and it shows in the owners. ALL the owners at the show were very proud and truly loved their cars--both new and old.

What this tells me is that purely from this one show, that the future of the late model GT/CS is very secure. What the "old guard", original CS owners might like to know is that at the show--and here on line--that the late models owners really respect and honor the original. That is why the late model owners like to mimick the original in any way they can, such as adding the side script, ducktail spoilers and rear decklid stripes (as well as asking for more items to emulate the original).

I think that the CS has carved out it's own niche. Sure--I had a hand in it, as the catalyst, but it was the hundreds of owners, and their love for this car that had fueled the following that we see today. It's pretty powerful to see how this has happened--and for so long (40 yrs.!!).

I see the same "California feeling" for the late models as for the early ones. This is a feeling that you can't get in a Shelby or Roush, or Saleen. The subtle, yet unique nature of the GT/CS creates attention without needing big stripes. Call it a "sleeper on steriods".

I see our place as a very distinctive one, and a very respectful one within the Mustang marque. We don't have to prove ourselves through things like horsepower or Carroll's name. We are who we are, and collectively by example, we have determined just who we are; new or original. The power lies in ownership, not a nameplate.

What we have is a very "special" thing. It just happened, and again, our future as a collectible, and as a sought after Mustang is VERY secure in the years to come.

YOU made it Happen!

Paul N.

rvrtrash

As a new comer to the GT/CS world I can't understand why when a nice GT/CS comes up for sale in the $30,000 dollar range that is looked on as huge money.but looking at the Shelby ,Boss market which is way up !I think the CS's are a deal .Is it because they don't have the racing history of a Boss or Shelby ? I paid $4000 for my 390 X-code CS it needs a complete ground up but it is a complete running car.But I have second thoughts about sinking the money into the car.What do you guys think a car like this with a nice resto and fully detailed undercarriage is worth.

They don't have the same history and they aren't as well known--outside of our group. I think your purchase was a steal by the way. You never make money on a resto if you do the work right and then sell it right away. If you have someone do the work you're even further behind. You have to do it for the love of it or hang on to it for a while till prices catch up. If you decide you don't want to do yours, let me know.

Steve

GTCS07

The problem with the nameplate is that the originals weren't seen too much east of the rockies except in print so people who weren't super into Mustangs never really were aware of them. Fast forward to '07 and now with national sales and exposure the new ones will find a fan base alot faster, which in turn should increase demand for old ones I would think.

spoiler

They don't have the same history and they aren't as well known--outside of our group. I think your purchase was a steal by the way. You never make money on a resto if you do the work right and then sell it right away. If you have someone do the work you're even further behind. You have to do it for the love of it or hang on to it for a while till prices catch up. If you decide you don't want to do yours, let me know.

Steve

Steve i have always liked the C/S's because they were something out of the ordinary . I am looking forward to restoring it after I have some fun with it first.

clubpro

I attended the Ford Lovers West Coast Nationals Sunday and was sad to see only 1 GT/CS it was a new CS and it did us all proud. I watched that bone stock CS run the 1/4 mile at Sacramento Raceway in the mid 13's at 103 miles per hour. I was ready to go down to the local Ford dealer and trade in my gas guzzling S.U.V. for a new CS, but then this women's voice kept ringing in my head and the word divorce kept coming up. Oh well, a guy can dream...

You need to ask Mike (Something Special) Jewell what kind of treasures he found at the swap meet Sunday. Ford Lovers was very good for Mr. Jewell.

Cheers,

Ron

case12

I think the vintage GT/CS get a lot of new recognition outside the west coast now that the new GT/CS are out. People have now heard of the new ones, and when they see a vinatage one and find out the GT/CS has history, they get interested real fast. Also, I think the new GT/CS get into the older ones because it gives them a legacy - sorta like a new bullitt or mach1. It is neat to have a car built from a legacy (especially when there are so many other mustang variants out there with anyone who is in the car world putting their name on one to sell it for more). The new GT/CS have a true Ford legacy of 40 years......not part of a myriad of "new name" Mustangs. (although I do like a Foose Mustang, or a Parnelli Mustang, or a Shelby Mustang, or a Rousch Mustang, or a Terlingua Mustang, or a Saleen Mustang, or a ........) :grin:

In summary I think the new GT/CS and the vintage GT/CS benefit each other, respect each other and the legacy connection makes us all one family.....

Casey