• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Oil Plug

case12

OK - dumb question. :-\ My oil plug on my GT/CS is stripped. I can only tighten it so much before it loosens - and it of course drips oil. My engine buddy says someone put a metric plug in at one time by mistake, and to just go to the auto parts store with it and get a larger one, and it will thread itself (he says the pan has a metal plate backing that is strong and can handle the self threading). It makes sense to me, but just double checking here to see if others have done this before. Thanks, Casey

coloradoHCS

Casey, re-threading to a larger size might work. If the old plug holds I have also gone to the hardware store and bought an o-ring that fits over the threads without getting cut. This should seal between the bottom of the hex head on the plug and the surface of the oil pan. Buna-N should be OK but they also have Viton for higher temperature applications. Mark.

68gt390

Casey;
My GT pan was the same way. I did exactly what your talking about and it worked fine. You can obtain the plug at about any parts store. I also bought a new nylon washer from a restoration store and have had no problems.

Don ;)