• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Which Carb and Where To Get?

BigJim

My 68 J code as her born with engine and I have all the factory parts for it that were removed (air filter, valve covers, intake manifold) but the carb. I would like to get an original carb (the car was built 03/20) so that if I decide to put it completely back to stock I have it. I know these parts are getting harder to find so I would like to get it now even if I don't use it for a year or two. What is the part number for a date correct carb for a J code 68 born 03/20 and where can I get one?

Thanks!

sportyworty

Jim, I have a couple of the correct C8ZF-D Autolites for automatic trans. They were also used on the IMCO GT 350's as well as pre recall Shelby's. Both have been sitting shelved for years and will need rebuilds. You can email me directly at sprtyworty@aol.com and we can get some pics and come up with a fair price.

Kerry

Mosesatm

Jim, I have a couple of the correct C8ZF-D Autolites for automatic trans. They were also used on the IMCO GT 350's as well as pre recall Shelby's. Both have been sitting shelved for years and will need rebuilds. You can email me directly at sprtyworty@aol.com and we can get some pics and come up with a fair price.

Kerry

Rob is the guy for rebuilding carbs!

Mosesatm

I don't think they have 4300s, but I also bought a 4100 from them and it's a great carb.

Last edited:

sportyworty

C code is a 2100 series Autolite 2V. J Code is a 4300 4V. This series was used on a lot of big blocks as well from 67-74.

dalorzo_f

Unless you want dead stock dump the 4300, not a great carb with a lot of issues that never reall got worked out. And 68 was early days so even more problematci. Ecomomy/emissions driven, so while they "work" not optimal.

Also, if you do go that route be careful what you buy as there are numerous variants and even a spread bore model (4300D). As noted the C8ZF-D is for auto, C8ZF-C is for manual

68 shelby's did get the 4300 intially, but they were changed to Holley 4150's from the factory in Feb/Mar '68, with an associated recall to remove the 4300's....

sportyworty

The Automatic IMCO cars retained their 4300 after recall. But they were the only ones. It is documented in the Registry and I had to show John from Pony Carbs(RIP) a document to convince him. The carbs are known for a stumbled off idle but many of them are out there running.

Mosesatm

Rob rebuilt the 4300 on my J-code 4-speed car and it runs great. It has a tiny hiccup if I romp on it but I don't drive that way so it works great for me.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Right now I don't intend to run it. I want a good one to put away so that in the future IF I want to return her to factory I will have it. I want the correct carb in good condition with all the proper markings for a March 20 automatic.

sportyworty

Jim was offered 3 of them for 150 bucks. A restored replated inked carb with tag is going to run about 500 bucks. They are not worth restoring to resell so it may be difficult to find one already done. That is what mine cost for the GT 350 Hertz from Pony. A good core sent out for restoration is likely the route to take.

Last edited: