• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Repro Grille on E bay

Perkchiro

I emailed the seller and questioned weather this was assembled with tinner's rivets or pop rivets. I'll post his answer when he replies.

miller511

Hey Steve,

I'm guessing tinner rivets are correct?

Where can you get these type rivets (for purposes of "making" a CS grill from a '67 grill?

-Jeff

somethingspecial

Jeff, when I built my grille, I couln't find any "Tinners rivets" that were the same as the originals. I found some aircraft rivets that I used and they look original. PM me and I can tell you how I did it. Mike

Perkchiro

Jeff- I found mine in a local hardware shop. I think they were displayed as "tubular" rivets. I looked everywhere for tinner's rivets and I couldn't find them. The key to it is that they have the proper diameter and are rounded or domed and solid on top. Pop rivets leave a hole on top. I don't have Paul's book with me but the diameter is listed there. 3/16" to 1/4" comes to mind. Here is a top look at mine. I'm sure others can supply more accurate details too.

Attachments

• Tinners Rivets  on Top Grill.JPG
    Tinners Rivets on Top Grill.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 77

zozobra

dumb question(s)

I guess this is a dumb question but I have been looking for a correct grill since I got my car last March. Some time in the past my car was hit in the nose. but the Marti report for mine proves it is a real CS. The best I have found to replace the grill on the car is a new '67 grill. I did not know anybody was making reproduction grills. Do you think this is a one-off or somebody out there has started making new ones? Am I wrong in thinking available original ones are rare indeed? Is anybody out there making the brackets shown with the grill on Ebay?

Thanks

Perkchiro

Not a dumb question at all. We're all here to help. You are right, the original grilles are a rare find, and most restorers (myself included) use a "blank" 67 repo grille and convert it using repo brackets. I purchased mine from Delta Bay Mustang. I think these may have been available from Larry's Mustang too. It's not really a difficult task. There are prior threads on this subject and you might do a search here using the words "grille brackets" for some historical discussions.

PFSlim

I bought mine from Delta Bay Mustang and it is a great piece. As well, I bought the Marchal Fog Light brackets at the same time from them and they worked great as well. You have to cut out the portion of the grill to install the brackets. Easy to do, however hard to make that first cut.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang440.JPG
    Stang440.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Stang441.JPG
    Stang441.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 49

Perkchiro

Good points Paul, and nice resto job on that grille. One other thing to consider is the right paint. I think the general consensus is to use the following for the grille, fog brackets fog lamp uprights and wide grille molding :

PPG Ditzler 32930

somethingspecial

Be Careful about "ORIGINAL GT/CS GRILLES". There is a guy out there who will tell you it is original grille in original ford packaging, and be more than happy to take your $$$$$$. They are in fact Taiwan copies with home made brackets, assembled with pop rivets. Beware. I truley believe there are no more original NOS grilles. I built mine with Delta Bay Mustang fog light brackets, and a cherry original 67 grille. Mike

zozobra

Thanks for the info

PFSlim said:
I bought mine from Delta Bay Mustang and it is a great piece. As well, I bought the Marchal Fog Light brackets at the same time from them and they worked great as well. You have to cut out the portion of the grill to install the brackets. Easy to do, however hard to make that first cut.

Paul
So it looks like what I did to mine was fairly wrong, but not irreversible. MIne had a '68 grill I bought a new "stock" '67 grill that still has some metal attachment type features on the back side, which is to say it has more than the egg crate or rectangular type center section. So I can get what you guys call a blank 67' grill and bracket from Delta Mustang and make one. All things being equal is the one on Ebay, if it costs less than the new grill and new bracket, a thoughtful option or something to be avoided? After being at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale all the week before and seeing all the Shelbys I am fairly hyped about getting my CS as correct as possible, not to sell but just to know it is right.

Again thanks for your insight, all of you.

PFSlim

We originally bought a used 68 grill and were planning on modification to a GT/CS grill until someone on this site recommended Delta Bay. We then took the chance and ordered the grill and brackets. In my opinion, they make a great product and you get a new grill.

Perk is correct on the color listed. It is not a black grill like one would expect.

Paul

zozobra

Sorry for the stupid question, or, how dense can I get

I finally looked at my grill in the daylight because I did not understand the "blank" grill part and the fact I remembered that mine had some vertical pieces. I finally saw that these vertical pieces are merely put in by the rivets discussed by others. Guess all I really need are the brackets from Delta, the tinner rivets or a reasonable replacement, and the time to put it all together. I finally own both of Paul's books so I have the location for cutting the grill.

When I get through I will be very happy for all of this and the car will be better as well.

Thanks

Perkchiro

I got a response from the seller on the repo grille. It is assembled with Pop Rivets. Here is her /his reply:Hi,
As stated in the auction, the grille is a repro grille so it has pop rivets.
Regards
Kerry

Mosesatm

Here is a layout I took from an original.

zozobra said:
I finally looked at my grill in the daylight because I did not understand the "blank" grill part and the fact I remembered that mine had some vertical pieces. I finally saw that these vertical pieces are merely put in by the rivets discussed by others. Guess all I really need are the brackets from Delta, the tinner rivets or a reasonable replacement, and the time to put it all together. I finally own both of Paul's books so I have the location for cutting the grill.

When I get through I will be very happy for all of this and the car will be better as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

zozobra

Thanks for the information. I would appreciate one more opinion. Last night I looked my Registry books to see what Paul said about the grill. He discussed Delta Bay for the bracket in the later one but also mentioned Ford for the grill. He went on to say that some reproduction grills were not particularly strong. Some of you have talked about the Delta Bay grill as being a very nice grill. The grill I bought was either from California Mustang (my first guess) or Virginia Mustang. Anybody fell like commenting on whether or not the grill I have would be similar quality to Delta's? It seems to me that sometimes there is one manufacturer of a particular product that is available from a host of retail stores rather than separate maunfacturers for each retailer.

While I'm at it I wonder where the grill on Ebay came from. I'll ask the seller that question.

Thanks for the help. I'm starting to get some real pride in my CS.

clubpro

I just came back from visiting with Kerry the owner of the grill on ebay and the grill looks very good. It does have the wrong rivets, but most people wouldn't even know. Kerry is the owner of Downunder Restorations and I waited over two years for him to be able to do all of the body work on my car. He worked for Ford Racing back in the late 60's and early 70's as a "panel beater" as he likes to call himself. He is the best body man I have ever known as well as one of the finest gentleman I have ever known. He has built some of the finest Shelby Mustangs you will ever see. He has a 69 Mach 1 that he converted to right hand drive and you would never know that it wasn't factory. Best of luck to those bidding on the grill!

Ron

miller511

Hi all,

I was in the neighborhood of Delta Bay Mustang today and stopped in there for the first time.

Very cool setup that the owner Tom Cruz has there in Brentwood. It's essentially a large out building on his property.

A substantial amount of his inventory is out on rows of racks (like your local hardware store). Kind of cool to see lots of parts out on display.

He doesn't do/have a catalog. So his web site is basically good to get his phone number and address.

I took a look at the Marchal Grille brackets. They were very nicely fabricated. They are $76 for the pair.

He remembered working with Paul Newitt on the 1996 book (and he brought out his copy) that shows very detailed info on how to make a CS grille.

Tom is a wealth of Mustang info.

http://www.deltabaymustang.com/

-Jeff

Perkchiro

zozobra said:
Thanks for the information. I would appreciate one more opinion. Last night I looked my Registry books to see what Paul said about the grill. He discussed Delta Bay for the bracket in the later one but also mentioned Ford for the grill. He went on to say that some reproduction grills were not particularly strong. Some of you have talked about the Delta Bay grill as being a very nice grill. The grill I bought was either from California Mustang (my first guess) or Virginia Mustang. Anybody fell like commenting on whether or not the grill I have would be similar quality to Delta's? It seems to me that sometimes there is one manufacturer of a particular product that is available from a host of retail stores rather than separate maunfacturers for each retailer.

While I'm at it I wonder where the grill on Ebay came from. I'll ask the seller that question.

Thanks for the help. I'm starting to get some real pride in my CS.

From my restoration memories, not too long ago, the repo grille I purchased was from National Parts Depot. It was a 67 and from Taiwan I believe, as are a lot of repo parts. The original Ford 68 horse and coral grille that was put on my car was due to prior front end damage while under prior ownership. The original Gt/CS grille was probably too damaged to repair. The 68 grille was of much heavier gage metal than the foreign replacement. I found however that once the new grille was placed on the car with all the proper attachments, it was very secure. So the lighter weight was really a non-issue. I think you'll find that all the mustang suppliers carry many of the same foreign repo parts. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you start with the 67 blank and built your own CS grille.

zozobra

I appreciate the opinion about the grill. Although I don't remember where I bought the replacement grill I do remember when I installed it the fact the it was from Taiwan and I was struck by how light it was weight wise but it looked fine and fit well. I also saw the comment about the one currently on Ebay being from a respectable person. I may make a run on that first, and if that fails buy the brackets from Delta and make mine work. Either way I really appreciate all the help from you folks.