• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Favorite Wheels/Rims?

miller511

Hi all,

Just for fun-

I wanted to get opinions on what wheels/rims you'd put on your CS (if you were so inclined...price wasn't an issue, etc.)?

Don't get me wrong, I tend to be a purist and like the original look of these cars.

However, I really like the looks of the Edelbrock 454s with the chrome/polished finish. Here's a picture that I took of a really clean (I think '70?) Mach I at a car show last summer. These looked really good on the Mach I.

Got me to thinking...hmmm, wonder what they'd look like on my CS?

-Jeff

Attachments

• Seattle 07 2006 022small.JPG
    Seattle 07 2006 022small.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 40

Mustanglvr

They look somewhat simular to the Shelby 10 spoke. They are very nice. I like them.

tworings

Perkchiro said:
Shelby 10 spokes with BF Goodrich Radial TA's. My Favorite.

I vote with Steve - Shelby 10 spokes - since that's what we put on our car. :grin:

gt bandit

10 spokes , don't leave Brandas without them

But i would go for the 17" versions , if i had my time again.

photos of that LP frame this weekend , sorry for the delay - been travelling.

P

PNewitt

If you like the 1969 Shelby wheels, you could have bought them as early as March 1968 (as seen in this March '68 HOT ROD magazine ad from Shelby).

The Shelby MAG-350 was the same five-spoke Shelby aftermarket wheel that later became standard on the '69 Shelby GT-350 and GT-500).

This wheel was available in 14", and 15" sizes. The difference was the center cap. For '68, it was the "CS" center cap, with the center painted black, and the "CS" logo unpainted (the later '69 Shelby wheel used the gold snake logo).

I really like these wheels, since they are very eye-catching as the car passes by. You can still buy them today from Tony Branda.

I'll post a photoshop comparison of these on my CS, soon.

Paul N.

Attachments

• shelwhls.jpg
    shelwhls.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 41
P

PNewitt

Here's my GT/CS with the stock slotted wheels in chrome and GT caps, and below (via Photoshop), as if it had the 15" Shelby "Mag-350" wheels.

Photo taken in San Diego, at Balboa Park.

-Paul N.

Attachments

• shelmag.gif
    shelmag.gif
    64.9 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Paul,

Pretty cool looking with the Shelby 5 spokes. Looks like you put big fat slicks on the back while you were at it ;-)

Thinking about how Paul did his comparison to see how the wheels would look, I remember there is a web site somewhere that you can select newer cars and you can change out the wheels to get an idea of what they would look like. it would be cool to do the profile of a CS with various wheel sets. I'll see if I can find that site.

-Jeff

TheBlkPearl

Ummm wheels

I went with the vintage look also - Vintage Wheel Works V45's with BFG Radial TA's. My car had the wrong wheels when I bought it so putting on aftermarket wheels was easier. I think that the stock chrome GT wheels are best for resale.

Attachments

• Randy GTCS 03a.JPG
    Randy GTCS 03a.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 33

BroadwayBlue

miller511 said:
Paul,

Pretty cool looking with the Shelby 5 spokes. Looks like you put big fat slicks on the back while you were at it ;-)

Thinking about how Paul did his comparison to see how the wheels would look, I remember there is a web site somewhere that you can select newer cars and you can change out the wheels to get an idea of what they would look like. it would be cool to do the profile of a CS with various wheel sets. I'll see if I can find that site.

-Jeff

You can do this on Tire Rack. Not just for new cars, you can do it on a 68 Mustang coupe as well. I did this for wheels on my newer cars. Didn't realize they did older cars as well.

http://www.tirerack.com

You can even change the color. I had to do my original color and current color. The Orange is wild huh?

Have fun playing around!

Attachments

• mustang.14.Blue.gif
    mustang.14.Blue.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 30
  • mustang.14.Light_Green.gif
    mustang.14.Light_Green.gif
    29 KB · Views: 30
  • mustang.14.Orange.gif
    mustang.14.Orange.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Very cool, Rich. The tirerack.com web site is the one I'd been trying to recall to. Just couldn't remember it.

Speaking of Orange... There's a guy here at work who drives a CalTrans Orange '65 coupe. Man, it DEFINITELY stands out.

CalTrans is our state highway workers. They drive vehicles that are painted a really bright orange.