• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How to -diff between orig and repro bumpers

69convert

How do you tell the difference between original ford bumpers and the reproductions? I need to rechrome or replace the rear bumper. The bumper is straight but shows rust. If its original, I will send it off and have it rechromed. If it is a replacement, I can either find an original and have it rechromed or buy a replacement. Any thoughts on orig vs repro?

Perkchiro

Rechroming is quite expensive but probably is the best route if you want a mirror polished original bumper. I replaced mine with Nordan bumpers. Mine were not original when I got the car. I suspect that the front was replaced after collision damage and the rear due to rust. The new Nordan's look nice and were not that expensive. About $100 a piece.
Steve

hcsstang

If I'm not mistaken the orginal bumpers have a sharper edges. while the repos are more of a smooth or rounder edges.

PFSlim

We did not have bumpers and had to buy repo's but I think they are fine. They look good. I would not be afraid of getting repop's.

Paul

Andrew

I believe Mustang Monthly had run a article a few years back where they compared aftermarket to Ford. Nordan was the best aftermarket and I believe they found their chrome finish to be superior to that of the N.O.S
Perhaps I can track down the article if you like.

OP
OP

69convert

nordan bumpers

I would like to see that article on bumpers if you can find it.
I have seen a few posts in the vintage-mustang forums saying recent nordan bumpers were of inferior quality. Anybody here have that experience?

BroadwayBlue

69convert said:
How do you tell the difference between original ford bumpers and the reproductions?

This was easy for me ... I got under the car and as I was looking up under the bumper there was a sticker on the back side of the bumper that read "Made in Japan" ! :grin:
That was easy for me.

:rofl:

Andrew

Well, I guess I should have said "many" years ago there was an article in Mustang Monthly. The article was in April 1998. The three bumpers compared were: KSR, Nordan and orignal Ford(which was still available then).Mark Houlahan wrote the story and this summarizes his findings: KSR was the only manufacturer to triple chrome in the USA and it came with a lifetime guarantee as long as you own the car. KSR was superior for highest quality plating and Ford was second. As this test was 8 years old, things may be different now. The good news is you could have bought a 1969 428CJ for 10k and there were two GT/CS cars for sale in the magazine(vin 8R01S127402 was listed). I wonder what happened to that car?

68gt390

BroadwayBlue said:
This was easy for me ... I got under the car and as I was looking up under the bumper there was a sticker on the back side of the bumper that read "Made in Japan" ! :grin:
That was easy for me.

Hey Rich;
Think that would qualify your car to be a rice burner? :icon_pani

Don :nonono2: :rofl:

BroadwayBlue

68gt390 said:
Hey Rich;
Think that would qualify your car to be a rice burner? :icon_pani

Don :nonono2: :rofl:

YIKES!!! :eek:
Do I have to add that annoying buzzing sound to my exhaust now?

Here you'll all appreciate this
http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Funny/0/FD3F0E78-1A4F-4FA0-B246-385F5B65DACD.htm
FOUR LETTER WORD WARNING: Lower your volume before viewing at work or around young children.

And just for fun: *you need the sound for this one ... it's the thing that makes it funny.

http://tinyurl.com/ablhn

Last edited:

rvrtrash

BroadwayBlue said:
That was easy for me.

Mine had a Ford sticker with the part number. I gently removed it before sending my bumpers off to be rechromed and it's now saved in a plastic baggie.
Steve

68gt390

BroadwayBlue said:
YIKES!!! :eek:
Do I have to add that annoying buzzing sound to my exhaust now?

Just add that great big Folgers Can on the back as your exhaust tip.

Don :rofl:

BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue said:
That was easy for me.

I know this is an old thread but I was under the car today checking some stuff and was looking at that bumper sticker again (pardon the pun).

It was "Made in Japan" but it is a Nordan so that makes me feel a little better. Not as good as if it was the original but better :smile: