• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Powder Coating Argent wheel rims

TraveledGTCS

I tried a search but couldn't find anything on powder coating the argent wheels. Has anyone done this? Mine are getting rather cruddy and since I plan on buying new tires this winter, I figured on having the rims redone also. I've checked a few places locally and the going price seems to be around $100.00 per rim. Most places didn't know what color Argent was but they looked at the spare I took in to try and match for a color. If any of you happen to have your rims redone, what color did you use, and if you had an argent source, who was it and what was the color number or whatever. I spoke with one place who said if I could find a source with the blend number they would try to get it for me.

Speaking of tires, I currently have the Firestone Firehawks Indy 500 on the Special. And since they are no longer available I'm debating on whether or not to go with BF Bridgestone Radial TAs or with a 3/4 inch white wall tire.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most helpful.

Thanks all,

Bill

stangfan

Personally, I love BFG T/A radials with the white letters. I repainted my wheels when I got new tires. Used the Accumatch argent gray wheel paint.

dalorzo_f

+1 on paint, I've rattle canned a few sets and the benefit is if you get a ding, sand and spray...done... with PC and dings, pull the tire, sandblast and recoat... and hope for a match!

OP
OP
TraveledGTCS

TraveledGTCS

I did a rattle can spray paint early this year with a argent paint, but forgot to follow up with a clear-coat afterwards and the brake dust took care of the nice looking rims after a couple months. So decided to have a professional job done.

Bill

franklinair

IIRC, Bill drives his CS a lot more than average which generates the brake pad dust.

Here's a thought: Buy a set of Chrome '68/69 wheels. The smooth chrome surface will repel some of the dirt, and would cleanup quite well. They're probably $160+/- each which is higher than the powder coat cost - but the Argent wheels could be sold easily enough to offset the cost of new chrome wheels, and maintenance would be far easier. PLUS, the Chrome looks better (IMHO).

Neil

Mosesatm

And they are made in a 15" version which makes buying tires much easier.

whodat

I did, but it's not a exact match. I even brought them argent paint to match it. They actually had to redo them because they didn't come out right. So since I already committed to it I'll just put them on and use them until I can rechrome my GT wheels. Now the new spare on the other hand has been powder coated satin black. Because the old spare was a 4 lug pattern and I didn't catch it when I bought the car. I had to buy a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ffd27822747fd704eeaf18b2e132bf6a.jpg

The sun wasn't out for the photo

Last edited: