• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special script, right or wrong.

John McGilvary

Is your script " Californa Special" mounted in the correct position on your CS?

It would be interesting to see if the build dates show that the incorrect script placements were done during the same time frame, ( ie. the same shift, run of CS's, ect. ). If you know your build date, please respond.

John

68gt390

4/16/68 - Incorrect. Was messed-up when drivers side quarter was replaced. Don't know if it was correct prior to that since I did not own the car at that time.

Don

BroadwayBlue

My 302 3-speed - incorrect passenger side

Built 4/30/68 - previous (3rd) owner who had car since 1989 believed it to be the original holes. I have my doubts based on the fact it's not perfectly straight in my mind. I have not found evidence that the quarter panel was replaced

My 289 Automatic - incorrect passenger side

Built 3/21/68 - From what I can tell, the rear quarter was replaced on the passenger side. The car has the raised reflector, but from the inside I can see it was a 67 or early 68 quarter panel because I can see the indentation for the flush mounted reflector.

The unknown in all this is, if the quarter panel was replaced was the issue due to making measurements from rear to script duplicated on both sides?

Or did the person doing the repair copy what was there originally.

Also - it appears, except for one other car I'm aware of, the passenger side always seems to be off ... do people normally do the driver's side first ... and then the passenger??

carezcs

Script

My car was built 2/09/68 and has the script correct. I believe it to be original.
One interesting fact on my car is, with such an early build date it wasn't sold until the following January!
Bruce

PFSlim

June 18, 1968. Mine are correct, however, I replaced the rear quarters in restoration and put back using the original hole placement from old quarters.

Paul

rvrtrash

May 15th and correct.
Mine wasn't sold until the following Jan. also, in Hawaii.

Steve

hookedtrout

Passenger side incorrect, quarter was replaced due to accident, I did not own the car at the time so I do not know if the script was correct or incorrect prior. Don't know my build date.

Cory

robert campbell

John,
Built 2 January 1968, if we ever figure out that it is a "gold nugget" cousin to a GT/CS. Left quarter and left side scoop replaced. Right side had holes in a higher position than traditional, and date codes on the quarter panels sheetmetal is compatible with the rest of the car and the build date. I templated a known GT/CS and moved both all scripts to the traditional, normal (whatever that is) location.

this is fun!

Mustanglvr

Correct California Special script
order received 3/21/68
serialized 5/6/68
bucked 5/13/68
scheduled for build 5/28/68
actually built 5/15/68
released 5/16/68
sold 1/20/69

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

It is very interesting that most of the incorrectly placed script is on the passenger side and the qtrs. have at one time been replaced.

Does anyone other than Rob have incorrect driver side script?
Don's driver side script is messed up, but was likely done when qtr. was repaced by the former owner.

John

robert campbell

John,
My left side is in the traditional location. Quarter was replaced, so I templated a known GT/CS car and drilled to match. Right side holes were high, and like an idiot in 1989, I moved them down also. Didn't have Pauls book and they looked wrong. Old holes are still visible. I posted a pic of the inside of my trunk. Not very pretty in there, but is still solid. You can see both the traditional holes with clips (wrong ones, but what you get with the Ford replacement scripts) and the old location of when I got the car. Of note and I discussed this with Paul. I only had three of the orginal scripts and the left were "glued on" when I got the car. They did not seem as robust as the ones I got from Ford. Not sure if they were one of the first 14. And also like an idiot I threw them away over the years. What a bozo, rob.

Rob