• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 9" detail photo

nfrntau

Hey all, I just pulled the rear end out of my car and want to detail the differential while I have it out of the car. Does anyone have a good detail photo of what an accurately restored 68 mustang 9" chunk looks like? Is it the same as this 8" (photo attached)?
The photo of the 9" outside the car does not have a plate over the top for a bumper stopper. Mine does, should I remove the plate so it looks like the 9" in the photo?
Also which bolt is the diff tag supposed to be mounted to.
As always, I appreciate the input and photos.
Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• rear end 1.jpg
    rear end 1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 41
  • rear end.jpg
    rear end.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks David, that's what I needed

Thanks Rhonda, I've finally figured out what I want to be when I get old... Retired. Unfortunately I still have quite a few years to go.

Doug

Thanks David, that's what I needed

Thanks Rhonda, I've finally figured out what I want to be when I get old... Retired. Unfortunately I still have quite a few years to go.

It really should be "fortunately" as everyday should be a adventure.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

You are correct :)

Fortunately, I have many years to go
Unfortunately, I have yet to save enouph money for as long as I plan on living
If so, I would be all over the retirement option.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Can anyone recommend a rattle can type and color that comes close to the red oxide and cast/natural gray for the diff 3rd member and yoke parts?
Cheers, Bill

Ruppstang

Bill,
Rust Oleum Redwood is very close for the red oxide and I think I use Plastic coat cast blast grey. Marty

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks Marty,
I'll post a photo when I'm done. Can you tell me if on all 9" diffs the rubber bumper (square pyramid looking bumper) is mounted on the yoke cover? On my original 8" the rubber bumper was attached to the car, not the diff.

Cheers

Ruppstang

Bill I do not know if all 9 inchs had them on the yoke covers, but I will look at dads 68 S code and see what it has. Marty

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Here is the final detail photo. It went back into the car today and we were able to move the total rear end under the car to center it between the wheel wells.

Attachments

• DSCF2301.jpg
    DSCF2301.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 27