• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Parts Tag - What is it?

case12

I was fortunate that the last owner of my GT/CS just found a box of old parts from my car from a long ago restoration. Stuff like original windlace, pop-off gas cap, ash tray, seat belts, fog light switch, dome lights, radio bezel....a big box of just a bunch of really cool stuff in zip lock bags - even a bunch of screws and the original hose clamps. One thing in one of the bags was this metal tag (picture attached). Does anyone recognize what it would go to? From my resto books it does not look like the power steering tag, rear end tag....so I am trying to solve the mystery of what the tag is for and what the numbers mean? In case the picture does not show well the top line reads 289 E 68 16, and the bottom line reads B8 K 236-J. Thanks, Casey

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 18
P

PNewitt

I know someone may correct me--but I think it's the tag that was put on by the distributor hold down bolt, right in front. The rear-end tag looks the same, but doesn't have the motor size on it.

I'm sure you'll get an answer, and a decoding of the tag ASAP. This is what is so cool about these nice folks here.

Paul N.

68sunlitgold

Casey,
Murf is correct, it is the engine tag:

289 engine size
E I believe this is the Ford Engineering Department Code which is Engine for the "E"
68 Year
16 Change level
B8 1968 Feb(?)
K Not sure of this one (it states month but that can not be correct here)
236-J Engine code number (this code is in the Master Parts catalog)

And as Paul stated, this is where it is usually found:
The I.D. Tag (assuming you have one on your motor) is generally fastened on the coil mounting braket or on the distributor locking plate. The tag is made of aluminum with rough dimensions of 1/2" x 21/2".

Doug

Attachments

• engine_tag.jpg
    engine_tag.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
case12

case12

Paul was right - You guys rock! (as my teenagers say). Now I know it is the engine tag that goes with the coil bolt. You are right, Murf, I want to hold onto to this tag! Doug, from your great picture, the E looks like the engine was maybe built in Windsor. My GT/CS was built in Feb, so the Feb engine date makes some sense (I guess they moved fast on getting engines from Windsor to San Jose??). I do wonder what the K is for, as I also could not find it on other engine tag decoder sites? What does change level 16 mean (i read it may mean changes to the engine)? and what does the engine code mean? Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Thx, Casey

murf104

The "E" indicates that your engine was assembeled in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. (As opposed to being assembeled in Cleveland, O in which case it would contain a "C"). The K in question is simply a prefix to the engine number. B8 indicates the engine was assembeled Feb 8. Level 16 that is stamped on your tag is as far as I know the highest level number that was ever used on a 289. Level 1 was in 1964 and 289 production ended in 68 with level 16 or that is my understanding. Hope this clears up some of the mystery surrounding the tag you found, It is an important part of the history of your vehicle. Do your research on the proper location and reinstall it in the proper place. Murf

murf104

The 236 indicates that your engine was intended to be installed in a vehicle with an automatic transmission. By the way, you should research the location for that tag. I do not want to butt in but it is my opinion that the tag on a 68 "E" was installed under the oil dipstick tube support bracket (where it bolts to the front of the engine). I am sure that others will chime in and let you know where their tag is located if in fact they still have them. By the way, level 16 began in July of 67 and did in fact run until the end of production for 1968 (July 68) It was the final engineering change for the 289.

OP
OP
case12

case12

Murf, great info. I will keep researching the position of the tag. Super thanks to everyone. I am still pouring through all the nuts, bolts, screws, wires, hoses, regulators, switches, gaskets, radio knobs, etc. that were put into the box - all original. Even an old GT pop off gas cap (which should not have been original - but someone must have added it very early on - it has the old Autolite tradmark and correct vintage part number). Thx again! Casey

CJ

My tag is located under the bolt that holds the coil to the intake manifold.

Claude

our special

This is interesting, the build date for our car was March 18 1968, and the date code on the 289 engine tag is C7.
If I am reading this right, it would indicate March '67 was the build date for the engine.
The engine has the serial number stamped in the block so I know it is the correct engine for the car and it also has the 302 cast into the valley of the block as many others do.
What I find intresting is, if the block was manufactured in March '67, it meant that the 302 blocks were being produced well before 1968.
Would this have been a normal time period for supplying parts?

Dave

68sunlitgold

Dave,
I think the C7 means March 7 not Mar '67, which would match very close to your build date of 18 March.

Doug