• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Small screws for twist lock base

murf104

Trying to identify the small screws that mount the base of the twist lock hood pins to the core support. The present ones have such a small head that they hardly hold the mounts in place, and I am curious what others have found in their unmolested cars. Is there an AMK replacement for these little screws?

somethingspecial

They are the same screws that the inner fender splash aprons use. AMK makes the kits for the splash aprons, so there is your source. Most times the holes in the radiator support extentions the twist lock base mounts to get oversized. Before you try to mount the new screws in place, see if you can close the holes up somehow, possibly by flattening the area around the hole. The metal gets flared out oversize, by flattening the metal it will close up the hole a bit. Good Luck.

mechanicalguy48

Is this the screw your reffering to Murf or another one.
twistlock002s.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
M

murf104

Yes, the screw ictured is the one I am concerned about. there are two others on the opposite side of the bracket which are the same size? Is the one you picture typical of all CS cars? What other places are these same screws used on our cars?

somethingspecial

Yes, the screw ictured is the one I am concerned about. there are two others on the opposite side of the bracket which are the same size? Is the one you picture typical of all CS cars? What other places are these same screws used on our cars?

See my post above, Same as the inner fender splash aprons. Mike

mechanicalguy48

The head on those is 3/8 inch. The only inner fender piece that has those is the inner fender to firewall transition piece, is that what your talking about somethingspecial ? They do appear to match the head and type of screw but there is only one per side, I guess it doesnt matter if you can order them.

somethingspecial

Only one is visible from the top as you indicate, the rest are located under the fender and attach the splash aprons to the firewall on the rear of the fender and to the fender forward of the front wheel. There are a total of seven screws per side. Part #55914-S2. I hope this clear things up!

Last edited:

Mosesatm

My AMK underhood kit shows the washer bottle, voltage regulator, and starter solenoid using screws that look like the hood pin bracket screws.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Are they also the same screw that is used to mount the starter soloniod and the voltage regulator? Do the original screws have any distinctive markings in the recess of the head such as a circle, diamond, a "D"? Were they painted, or cad plated or phosphate and oil.
The screws I have are completly incorrect and of course want to replace them with the proper screws with the correct coating.

somethingspecial

I believe the starter solenoid and voltage regulator screws are zinc plated. The ones in question are phosphate and oil with a diamond in the recess of the head. Mike