• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

WTT: AC Cobra Replica for Restored BB GT/CS

mike in CA

I have an AC Cobra Replica in pristine condition that i will trade for a fully restored big block GT/CS. It must have an automatic transmission which is the only reason I would even consider getting rid of my cobra. Due to a back injury, i have problems using my left leg to clutch. My Cobra is and FFR built with all new top of the line full racing parts. It has a custom built 408 stroker putting out 530 H.P., Tremec 5 speed, IRS rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes with drilled and slotted rotors 13" front and 11.75 rear. It is built to replicate a full race Cobra and not the street version, although it is fully street legal and smog exempt. It currently has quick jacks and black pipes, but i have a full set of chrome bumpers and an extra set of uncoated pipes. There are so many performance additions that i can not list them all here. If you want one of the fastest and meanest sounding Cobras out there, this is it. I have over $53,000 just in parts. And that is not counting the 1000+ hours of labor. If interested call me 831-624-1456
Picture211.jpg

Picture212.jpg

PFSlim

Mike

I have seen your car on the FFR forum site. I am a lurker there as I just recently sold my GT/CS (289 Hipo) car to a member of this site. I am currently building a Premier Motorsports replica here in Kansas City. This will be our 3rd replica cobra build as we have already built one Premier car and one FFR car. Therefore, I am very aware of FFR cars and how they are put together.

Best of luck in trading your cobra for a GT/CS. Saw your post and felt it alittle ironic since I was selling my GT/CS to build a cobra.

Once again, good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
mike in CA

mike in CA

If you are familiar with FFR Cobras, then you know there are as many ways to build them as there are builders. No two are the same in the way they are built. Mine has no donor parts and is considerably upgraded from the standard FFR. The cockpit edges are rolled as are the fender edges. All the body mounts are hidden to give it a much cleaner and authentic look. The deck is extended under the scoop, it has a custom color paint job, with custom heavy duty hood hing, it is fully insulated with sound and heat mat, upgraded carpet with carpeted trunk, leather seats with seat heaters, center console, footbox vents with fans, extended and lowered footboxes, door panels with storage pockets, Simpson 5 point harnesses, front and rear adjustable racing sway bars, mid shift hurst shifter, ceramic coated side pipes and headers, flaming river steering rack, 17" halibrand style wheels, 4 wheel Cobra R disc brakes, tubular upper and lower control arms. The engine alone is over $10,000 with top of the line everything. It is a 351 stroked to 408 with eagle stroker kit, roller cam, roller rockers and chain, with heavy duty oil, fuel and water pump. Edlebrock Victor Jr. heads and manifold, Holly 750 dual feed carb, MSD ignition, Aluminum radiator and heavy duty electric fan. All brake, fuel and oil lines are braided stainless. There is not much on my car that is stock FFR. Even the vent grils and trim pieces are upgraded as are the wind wings and visors. even the mirror is upgraded. About the only thing that is stock FFR on my car is the frame and the roll bar. That is why they vary so much in price. If you stay stock FFR and all donor parts, then one of these cars can be built for under $25,000. If you go the route i did, it gets significantly more expensive. The two main reasons I picked the FFR are that it is the safest replica on the market and there are more after market upgrade parts available for it then any other replica on the market. Plus they have sold more cars than all the other replica companies combined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mike in CA

mike in CA

I would also cosider other type cars to trade for.

A BB GT/CS is my first choice as that is the one I used to have. However there are many other cars I would be willing to trade for. Whatever the car is, it needs to an automatic with bucket seats and a floor shifter. That in itself limits the type of cars I would consider. I am also open to partial trades for a less valuable car and some cash. I prefer Mustngs and Ford s in general, but there are certain GM and Mopar cars i would consider. I am placing the value of my car at just what it actually cost and not adding in anything for the labor time. I have right at $53000 in actual costs. This car is as described and has only 1,300 miles on it. The NITTO tires do not show any wear. I also have a ton of extra parts and accessories that come with the car.

So if you know anyone who gas always wanted a really fast and great handling Cobra replica and has someting to trade, let me know.

Again, the only reason I am even considering giving up my baby is due to my 6 back surgeries which makes using my left leg very painfull.

ahainline

Wish u luck.. I have my GT/CS that I would be willing to part with.. but not only is it not fully restored, but it is also not a BB.. soooo.. best of luck to you! Has to be someone here that would like to get their hands on one of these!

rvrtrash

Have you considered just having an AOD installed? That way you have an automatic in your "baby" and don't have to get rid of it.

Steve

OP
OP
mike in CA

mike in CA

I checked into an AOD. Because my engine puts out so much torque, it needs to be a pretty beefed up trans. The prices i have found are between 4K and 6K just for the trans. Since my back will not allow me to do the work myself, I would need to take it to a shop to have the conversion done. That would add another few thousand. Since I am now living on disability due to my six back surgeries, I no longer have the income to do that. So it is a conundrum. I love the car as a Cobra has been my dream car since I was 12. And it is also the fastest car i have ever driven. It makes me smile just starting it up. I really don't want to part with it, but it is just a lot of money tied up in a car that i can only drive once in a while for short periods. So I am very torn. I know my chances of a trade are small and in this market selling it would mean taking a loss. So I will probably just wait out the economy and decide what to do in a few years unless a good trade comes my way. Also, as a car guy, there is something just not right about a Cobra with an automatic.

robert campbell

I just bought an A O Dominator from Performance Automatic Transmission Center. Rated to hold 750 horsepower. Works like a champ and the 1st to 2nd shift is..... "breath-taking" to say the least! $2399.00! I am running a Weiand Supercharger on a fairly radical 302.

take a look!

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm

Rob

OP
OP
mike in CA

mike in CA

I will look into it, but I am pretty sure even a blown 302 is not putting out 550LBS of torque. I am taking it out for a long cruise at the end of the month. That will probably make me want to keep it, so if the AOD is ony in the low 2K range, them I might do it. Where did you place the transmission cooler? I have an oil cooler in the regular spot, so I guess it would need to go in front of the radiator?? What all other things would I need to have changed besides the transmission, pedals, torque convertor, drive shaft, trans cooler. As you can see it is not a simple job when the whole car is already put together for a stick. It would have been much simpler before everything was done.