• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering RAM leak Question

davidathans

i noticed a big puddle on my garage floor and i climbed under the car to inspect and there is a leak that comes out from where the gasket is in the power steering RAM.

My question:

Do i have to replace the RAM or can i just put in a new gasket?
or if you were me would you replace the RAM and put in all new hoses at the same time?

thanks,
David

franklinair

Lots of choices: you can overhaul yours (O/H kits available), or replace it ($$$). Hoses are on condition - if they have cracks showing externally, they should be replaced.
Neil Hoppe

Perkchiro

David: I tried to overhaul mine and just couldn't get the seals out of it. I took it to a machine shop and they said the ram rod was bent and there was no way it wouldn't leak if left as it was. They ended up cutting open the case and rebuilding the ram and replacing the seals. They pressure tested it and it works great. I had other issues such as leaks in other areas and crossed hoses, but all's well now. I would suggest you inspect it really well and consider just buying a replacement from one of the Mustang suppliers. Last time I checked, I think they're about 100 bucks. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed quick.

hicountrybob

David: I tried to overhaul mine and just couldn't get the seals out of it. I took it to a machine shop and they said the ram rod was bent and there was no way it wouldn't leak if left as it was. They ended up cutting open the case and rebuilding the ram and replacing the seals. They pressure tested it and it works great. I had other issues such as leaks in other areas and crossed hoses, but all's well now. I would suggest you inspect it really well and consider just buying a replacement from one of the Mustang suppliers. Last time I checked, I think they're about 100 bucks. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed quick.

All very good ideas, you guys!!!! And my experience has been also that, IF THESE MUSTANGS OF OURS DON'T LEAK SOME, THEN THEY ARE EMPTY!!! Just joking and punning. Bob here.

rvrtrash

If you're going to buy a new one, get one for a mid 70's Granada along with the hoses. They have O-Ring fittings instead of flare and are less likely to leak (or so I've heard).

Steve

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Whoops i made a mistake...the part where the leak is coming from is not called the RAM ....it is the control valve....its the gasket in the control valve...i looked in my mustang's plus catalog and its part # 3188 for $100.95
they have a control valve rebuild kit for 56.95 part #8522

has anyone had to rebuild their control valve? what advice can you give me?

thanks

Perkchiro

David: I did rebuild my control valve and it was a very straight forward project once you disconnect it from the pitman arm and control link. Mine didn't work out for me because after the rebuild and install, I discovered a crack in the control valve. There was so much oil, grease and muck I couldn't see it until after it was reinstalled and the fluid pressure was applied to it. I ended up ordering a new one from Flaming River. If I had it to do over, I would just order a new one. It would be money well spent.

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

David: I did rebuild my control valve and it was a very straight forward project once you disconnect it from the pitman arm and control link. Mine didn't work out for me because after the rebuild and install, I discovered a crack in the control valve. There was so much oil, grease and muck I couldn't see it until after it was reinstalled and the fluid pressure was applied to it. I ended up ordering a new one from Flaming River. If I had it to do over, I would just order a new one. It would be money well spent.

thank you so much steve for your advise...i think im just going to put in a new one and replace some hoses when i do it...the leak is coming from near the gasket, but it could easily be a crack too...thanks again...cant wait to drive my car again