• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Drum to Disk Brakes

captainkober

I want to change brakes over from drum to disk this winter. Does
anyone have any suggestions, as to a good conversion kit, and who
sell's it? Thanks

68sunlitgold

captainkober,
I went with the original parts off ebay. I figured nothing is better than original and I did not want to do the Granada swap.

Doug

PB GT/CS

Here are my 2 cents on this swap, really think hard about it. Paul and I did it to our car and I would not do it again. I found out later that there are some pretty good drum brake pads these days that will do a nice job unless you plan to autocross the car. We put ours on to help with the braking in normal driving conditions. Mostly a safety factor. I understand from other forums that it is not necessary to have Disc brakes to get a very good one time stop. So, my suggestion is to first shop for "Racing" type of brake pads before tackling this big project.

Wish you the best
Brian

harryz

Drum to disk brake conversion

I did this change last year to my GT/CS. I had bought a totally rusted out GT/CS to use as a "parts" car, and took the disk brakes off of it and put it on my "driver" GT/CS. The only problem was that this is twice the work! (You have to disasemble / reassemble both the parts car and driver car). If I had not found the parts car, I would have used a kit from Stainless Steel Brakes or Master Power Brakes, or some other vendor to take advantage of newer technology.

If you are building an MCA councourse vehicle, then you will need to find original Ford parts from a donor car or Mustang vendor or e-bay.

I live where it rains quite often (Hawaii), and everthing I've ever seen about drum vs. disc brakes said that discs are better in the rain.

Just my $.02

Harry Z.

rvrtrash

Harry, if you run across any license plate frames from Castner Ford, '68 Mustang owners manuals with their name stamped in it or anything similar, would you email me? If the price isn't to steep, I'd be interested in it.
Steve

nfrntau

I purchased a kit from Master Power Brakes. It will still be some time before I get it and the car on the road for a test. I can update when I install it and let you know how it goes. The parts look good.

Mosesatm

harryz said:
I live where it rains quite often (Hawaii), and everthing I've ever seen about drum vs. disc brakes said that discs are better in the rain.

Just my $.02

Harry Z.

Harry, which island?

harryz

Hi Arlie, I'm on the windward (eastern) side of O'ahu, in a town named Kailua. I marked my location on the 'Member Map' so you can get a better idea of where I am. Not sure if I did this correctly as I don't see a red "pin" to indicate where I'm at. Also don't know how to create a link to the member map page with my location.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year)

Harry Z.

Mosesatm

Harry, the company I work for owns Borthwick Mortuary in Honolulu, and Hawaiian Memorial Park in Kaneohe. I'll be there in March to perform ADA audits and to take a vacation on Kauai. If possible, maybe we can hook up when I'm in Oahu and you can show me your California Special.

Arlie

gottaloveit

i have purchased multiple disc kits and one rear drum kit from master power. fantastic quality and ease of use. good call; let us know how it goes.:wink: