• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct AM Radio for 68

BroadwayBlue

Hey Everyone,

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be but I'm going to ask anyway.

There was an AM radio in my car when I got it and I took it out, tested it and put it in a box and replaced it with an aftermarket.

Was planning to take it to Carlisle next week and talk to some of the vendors that restore them and convert them internally to AM/FM and even could add an input plug for an MP3 or other auxiliary input.

Well ... took it off the shelf and decided to check the part number and it is 7TPZ. This leads me to believe it's a 67 radio and not a 68.

It has chrome push buttons and I think the 68 should have black push buttons and the part number should start with an 8.

I checked Vintage Mustang Forums and they pretty much say it should have black buttons - but people there claim to have original 68 cars that came with the the chrome buttons like mine. Even one with a March build like my car.

Is this one of those, use up the old parts on the line things?

MCA Rules only state the following:
K. Radio: [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Ford. Correct for year. May be AM, AM-8 Track, 67 - AM-FM and not stereo, 68 - may be AM-FM stereo with correct door speakers..................................................................................[/FONT][/FONT]2

Does "Ford" mean it says Ford on the faceplate as opposed to Philco?
Although the 67's say FORD and 68's say PHILCO based on the pictures I've seen.

I also referred to this site: http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/radiolist.htm

I attached what is being sold as a 67 and a 68 on eBay currently. Mine looks like the 67 with the 7TPZ number.

Anyone know if the 68's are definitley all black buttons with PHILCO? I know "definitely" didn't seem to be an option at Ford back in the day or for many automakers at that time. :smile:

Thanks!

Attachments

• 67 Radio.jpg
    67 Radio.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 68 Radio.jpg
    68 Radio.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

classicsguy

Not 100% sure but 1967 says FORD and 1968 Philco.Maybe someone will confirm in this post.

Ruppstang

It must have the black buttons to be considered correct. I see the C8 radios on Ebay sell for very little. Marty MCA 38812 judge

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thanks!

I had a feeling this was the case.

If I go the conversion route or decide to go back to the original radio may sell the 67 pick up a decent 68...

Yeah Marty a number of 68 radios on ebay for around $50 or so .

franklinair

The AM radio in my '68 convertible is Philco, black pushbuttons.

Neil

Last edited:

rvrtrash

Rich, let us know who you decide to have do your conversion. I want to have my factory AM/FM updated and MP3 added. Thanks.

Steve

green56

I was going to put a am/fm radio that says Ford on face plate that has black push buttons so this is not a 68 radio. In car radio has silver buttons also so neither radio is right???

Ruppstang

Here is a pic of a correct C8 AM-FM that I bought on Ebay. I asked if it wires were cut or if the lens was cracked they said no. I had to send it back to him with some help from Ebay. So if anyone has one or know where I can find one let me know. I might add if you see one that looks like this but has a fader bar under the black push button it is a D0 or latter. It will work just fine and they are much less than the C8 or the C9s. Marty

Attachments

• 4-20-10 004.JPG
    4-20-10 004.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 46

green56

I have two radios but it says ford am/fm with black knobs is that what you are looking for the wires are not cut it is set up for four speakersbut i don't know if they work will be testing them this Tues if it don't rain if it is what you want i will sell you one for what i paid for it if it works or if you want it not working just let me know

rvrtrash

Wow, that's an eye-opener. Maybe I'll buy a modern stereo (since I'm not worried about judging) and keep my original in a box somewhere. It works, but is "noisy".

Steve

CougarCJ

Wow, that's an eye-opener. Maybe I'll buy a modern stereo (since I'm not worried about judging) and keep my original in a box somewhere. It works, but is "noisy".

Steve

I'm with you Steve.

I already have a mid 1970's AM/FM radio with the balance bar on the bottom selected for my 1969 XR7. Most likely I will be picking up another for the GT/CS.
These radios are the exact same size box and most are plug and play.

franklinair

This is what I got for my C/S. EZ fit & hookup. Had it playing just yesterday.

Neil

obwan93001

Funny you guys are talking radios here. I just installed a mid-70s Ford, not Philco, AM/FM stereo w/the, well what I thought is a fader switch under the black buttons. I knew it wasn't correct when I got it off of ebay a couple of years ago but it's faceplate and all buttons hardly appear used very much at all. The part number(s) are pretty faded but it is from the '70s as it has the gray plastic box/molex type of connectors as opposed to the black rubber bullet ones originally used on our cars. I chose that one as I had a used pair of Custom Autosound kick panels w/speakers that I got a while ago and wanted to use them in conjunction w/the two 6x9s mounted in the rear package tray and I wanted it to look as original as possible. Fits and works so much better than the old POS am/fm/cass that was in there. I just need to replace the old torn up 6x9s and maybe some better kick panel speakers and I'm good.

Only question I have now after reading this thread and CougarCJ's post is if the slider bar is a front/rear fader and the inner knob on the tuner post is the balance or do I have it backwards? I've always been told and even read that it's a fader switch as the balance knob is the same on the ones w/o fader. If I'm wrong I'll rewire the speakers, no biggie, or could just leave it as logically thinking they both basically perform the same function I guess. Thanks.

Oscar

obwan93001

BroadwayBlue, sorry man, didn't mean to attempt a hijack of your thread, just had a question come up on the fader when I read it. Thanks for understanding and let us know how things turn out w/your radio. My CS was also originally sold w/an AM radio, an option back then, haahhaaa. I have thought of finding one and either doing what you're looking into or installing a nice stereo in the glove box or under the dash.

Best of luck!

Oscar

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue, sorry man, didn't mean to attempt a hijack of your thread, just had a question come up on the fader when I read it. Thanks for understanding and let us know how things turn out w/your radio. My CS was also originally sold w/an AM radio, an option back then, haahhaaa. I have thought of finding one and either doing what you're looking into or installing a nice stereo in the glove box or under the dash.

Best of luck!

Oscar

No problem - thanks for the message though!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Prices vary from what I have seen online.

This guy is supposed to be at Carlisle.
http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com/

He does a rebuild (without the conversion) for $160 according to this page which isn't bad if you already have a chassis I think - there is a list of what is included at the top:

http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com/radio-rebuilding-service.html

This place wants $79 to add a plug for an mp3 or other input
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/index.html

This place wants $295-1,000.
http://www.classicradio.com/AboutRestoration.html

I'm sure pricing around will pay off. VMF has listed some places that did good work for under $100
References go along way here as with many things like this.

I'll price around at Carlisle if I can and let you know what I find out.

Last edited: