• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

manual to power steering swap

68 special

I know that if you already have power steering, you can buy an adapter to make it manual, but to change to power can you just add the cylinder, control valve, pump, steering box, etc. to the existing tie rods, drag link or is a complete swap in order. Is it more trouble than it's worth?

Bret

dbeal

Well my car was originally a power steering car that was converted to manual when I got it. I put it back to power steering. Luckily it still had the power steering box. I purchased the whole power steering assembly for 200 used. I rebuilt everything. All said and done so far i guess I am into the power steering about 400 or so. that being said.. I haven't tried it yet..so hopefully there will be no leaks.

PFSlim

Oh boy, don't get me started!!! You can see another post where I was frustrated with my power steering. My car was originally manufactured with Manual Steering. Sometime in it's life, someone added power steering.

Last year, when we were ready to finish up our restoration, we sent the control valve and cylinder to TX to get rebuilt. It came back and looked like a success. Our pump, however, needed rebuilt but worked, so we went on with it thinking we would pull it again at first opportunity. Our pump leaked all last year, but nothing else really did.

This winter, we pulled the pump and had it rebuilt. It worked great. No leaks after install and it seemed like we were good to go. Then, a pump hose started leaking at World of Wheels. Since then, something else has happened and the pump is making another noise. Therefore, we have decided that we would go back to original and go to manual steering.

To answer your initial question. Yes. I think you need to have the correct power steering brackets but I think you should be able to make the car power steering with all the right stuff you mentioned above.

I will prob sell all of my power steering stuff once we remove it. It is my opinion (and only my opinion) that you can't keep these things from leaking and I don't believe the car drives any better (if not worse) with power steering on it. Once again, that is just my opinion. I look forward to getting mine switched back and removing the power steering to get rid of the leak. Because without the power steering, my car does not drip a drop for rear end, transmission or motor.

Paul

luisa2552

There is a thread on this somewhere a while back. It really made me think hard about adding power steering. When I got my car it had a small steering wheel on it which made it even harder to steer. I decided before I added power I would try it with a larger, factory steering wheel (thanks Arlie). The difference is night and day. No way I'm switching to power and having the added headaches of leaks. JMO

BroadwayBlue

luisa2552 said:
There is a thread on this somewhere a while back. It really made me think hard about adding power steering. When I got my car it had a small steering wheel on it which made it even harder to steer. I decided before I added power I would try it with a larger, factory steering wheel (thanks Arlie). The difference is night and day. No way I'm switching to power and having the added headaches of leaks. JMO

Hey Sara,
I was considering going to a smaller wheel with my manual CS. Do you think it's better with the factory wheel ?

If you think it's much better with the factory wheel I may just leave it as is for now.

PFSlim

Rich

Can you provide me with a motor picture of your car without power steering? Or, do you have one in the gallery??

Paul

BroadwayBlue

PFSlim said:
Rich

Can you provide me with a motor picture of your car without power steering? Or, do you have one in the gallery??

Paul

I just checked - I don't have any on my work laptop - I have some at home - I'll post them later - no problem.

PFSlim

Rich

As you know, I am taking off the power steering this weekend. Could use a view down where power steering is suppose to hook up and include the fan. Need to figure out how to get rid of extra pulley. Maybe it will be obvious.

Thanks.

Paul

BroadwayBlue

PFSlim said:
Rich

As you know, I am taking off the power steering this weekend. Could use a view down where power steering is suppose to hook up and include the fan. Need to figure out how to get rid of extra pulley. Maybe it will be obvious.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul,
Somewhere I lost some pics of my car. I think possibly when my hard drive crashed at work. I went to take some pics tonight but the digital's batteries were dead (go figure). Charging them tonight and will try to get something posted for you tomorrow - need to take my daughter someplace in the morning so hoping to get them posted prior to that.
I'll post them ASAP.
Sorry about that.
Rich

luisa2552

Hi Rich,
It is SO much better with the factory wheel. I don't know the size of the one that was on it, but it was very small. I had such a hard time steering the car which is why I wanted power steering. But with the factory wheel, it's like having power steering compared to the other wheel. The only problem is it's a little awkward using the clutch. Part of the problem is the new seat foam. I'm riding up too high. I might have to have some foam taken off but I'm waiting to see if it'll settle a bit before I have that done.
Definately stick with the factory wheel.

BroadwayBlue

PFSlim said:
Rich

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Here are a few shots I took today. Sorry I didn't get them posted earlier but it was a crazy morning.

Let me know if these work for you or if you need a different view.
If you need another shot - just explain exactly where and I'll do my best. Or post or send me a pic of the area on your car.

I made these as big as I could and still post them. I have the larger versions on my hard drive if you need them. I can email them to you if that will work or maybe I can post larger sizes in the gallery - not sure.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• engine 1.jpg
    engine 1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 37
  • engine 8.jpg
    engine 8.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 20
  • engine 7.jpg
    engine 7.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 22
  • engine 6.jpg
    engine 6.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
  • engine 5.jpg
    engine 5.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 25
  • engine 4.jpg
    engine 4.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 18
  • engine 3.jpg
    engine 3.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 17
  • engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 32

PFSlim

Thanks Rich, those are great. I did swap from power steering to manual steering this weekend by using the manual steering adapter. Don't know that I am all the way done because I would think I would need to do something with the pulley's from the front of the car. Does anyone know (for a manual steering - no A/C) if there are still two pulley's up front??

Paul

PFSlim

Manual steering swap

Rich

Here is what my motor looks like now. I think it looks pretty clean. And, the other very, very cool thing about it.....It does not leak anywhere!!!!

(Unlike what it did with power steering).

Still have some touch up work to do on the motor and car to be complete.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01226.JPG
    DSC01226.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 34

BroadwayBlue

Paul,

That looks sweet!!! Especially without all the A/C stuff in the way :smile:

Sounds like you made out alright with the steering swap.
Curious to know what the pulley conclusion is.

BTW: I found a similar wingnut for the air filter cover in my glovebox.
Were those Ford accessories do you know? I saw someone else had one too, I think in the galleries. Mine has a running horse emblem on it.

AZ68

luisa2552 said:
Hi Rich,
It is SO much better with the factory wheel. I don't know the size of the one that was on it, but it was very small. I had such a hard time steering the car which is why I wanted power steering. But with the factory wheel, it's like having power steering compared to the other wheel. The only problem is it's a little awkward using the clutch. Part of the problem is the new seat foam. I'm riding up too high. I might have to have some foam taken off but I'm waiting to see if it'll settle a bit before I have that done.
Definately stick with the factory wheel.

Sara,
I am in complete agreement with you. When I bought my CS it had a tiny steering wheel and I wanted the power steering hooked back up. I ended up going back to the large steering wheel, and it is MUCH, MUCH easier to handle even without the power steering. AND, I had the same problem with the foam being too thick and hitting my head when I get into the car. It has been several years, and the foam is still too thick. It never smashed down, so I just learned to be aware when I get in so I don't give myself a concussion. However, I have an automatic, so I don't have to deal with the clutch!