• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Questioning Adding a Hood Scoop?

Jenstang

Hello,
First of all I want to say thank you for making us 2007 GT/CS owners so welcome here as we've come on board. I bought mine last July when they first came out and am loving every moment of ownership. I keep pondering one question though and its whether to add the Ford hood scoop. I feel my hood needs something more, perhaps a different hood altogether.

The "GT Appearance package" is a separate package from the CS package that comes with a plenum cover and hood scoop. It did not come on mine, but I can add the OEM version fairly reasonably. Most of the 07s seem to have it and it looks really nice, I'm just so curious to get opinions from people with the 68's, and everyone, as to what they think of it vs. the non-hood scooped version or other thoughts as to what you might do with the hood area. I want to keep the spirit of the original GT/CS in any mods I do.

Thanks so much for any input you may have.

Attachments

• Copy of Jeanette's Mustang 002.jpg
    Copy of Jeanette's Mustang 002.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 30

rvrtrash

Spirit or no spirit, if I was going to add a hood scoop, I'd put on the shaker one from a few years ago.

Steve

68 GTCS

I beleive that the 2007 prototype California Special had the hood scoop. If I ever purchase a 07-08 CS I would definitely add the scoop if it didn't already have one I think they look great. As far as a shaker scoop, that would be nice also, but remember it doesn't have to be functional, the side scoops on the 68 CS are non-functional also.

Good Luck!

Kevin

OP
OP
J

Jenstang

Yes, I think it was a little misleading that the prototype had the non-functional hood scoop, as everyone thinks the hood scoop is part of the CS package. Actually, only the side scoops are included in the CS package.

Thanks for your thoughts, please keep them coming.

OP
OP
J

Jenstang

Thanks all so much for your input. I went with the Ford hood scoop and ordered it today. I already got the plenum cover so now I'll have the whole "GT Appearance Package". Guess what put me over .....The darn diecast models of the 2007 GT/CS that are out now with the hood scoop on them, so that was the final straw. Now I can't wait to get it installed!

OP
OP
J

Jenstang

Ok, I received my hood scoop and install is scheduled for this Thursday. Why do I feel like I'm going in for surgery? Anyone want to talk me out of it? Do you think I'll be ok with visibility?

hotrodgrany

Hello,
First of all I want to say thank you for making us 2007 GT/CS owners so welcome here as we've come on board. I bought mine last July when they first came out and am loving every moment of ownership. I keep pondering one question though and its whether to add the Ford hood scoop. I feel my hood needs something more, perhaps a different hood altogether.

The "GT Appearance package" is a separate package from the CS package that comes with a plenum cover and hood scoop. It did not come on mine, but I can add the OEM version fairly reasonably. Most of the 07s seem to have it and it looks really nice, I'm just so curious to get opinions from people with the 68's, and everyone, as to what they think of it vs. the non-hood scooped version or other thoughts as to what you might do with the hood area. I want to keep the spirit of the original GT/CS in any mods I do.

Thanks so much for any input you may have.

I say the hood scoop up close before I got mine. It is just too small, I was thinking about putting one on it, like the ones that came on the 04 GT Mustang like I also have also have. Here mine are nose to nose and see what I mean about the hood scoop, much better than that on the 07 GT/CS's

Attachments

• 2004 Mustang GT-2007 California Special 023.jpg
    2004 Mustang GT-2007 California Special 023.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 42

2007GTCS

I don't have any problems with visibility, but I'm 6' 4". I would think that as long as you can see over the steering wheel you won't have a problem...by the time something gets close enough to be obstructed by the hood scoop, it's too late!

andrewmp6

shaker hood scoop would be sweet the mach1 they brought back few years ago had one and i think the billet did not sure tho do some searching you might find a aftermarket shaker

OP
OP
J

Jenstang

I don't have any problems with visibility, but I'm 6' 4". I would think that as long as you can see over the steering wheel you won't have a problem...by the time something gets close enough to be obstructed by the hood scoop, it's too late!

Thanks! I was thinking about when I'm parking it though. Any problems there?

OP
OP
J

Jenstang

Thanks!

The part was $210 off PartsCheap.com plus $13 shipping. Then to have it painted and installed at a local body shop was $200. Grand total of $423. BTW, although I didn't do a lot of price shopping on the install, I checked with two local Ford dealers and they would have wanted a lot more for each the part and the install. The local body shop had no problem matching the paint perfectly so a body shop is the way to go, plus they sent me home with a bottle of touch up paint.

BTW, the "GT Appearance package costs $475, so I did good. All I need now is the plenum cover to make it complete and they go for around $70.

Glad I kept it stock because it matches the side scoops perfectly. Seeing the scoop while driving doesn't bother me at all - took about 10 minutes to get used to seeing it and now I don't notice it.

Last edited: