• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Interior assist needed on a '72...

Midnight Special

...One of my old high school friends has a 72 Mach I

On the drivers-side door panel, the inside door pull ripped right off (connected with plastic plate and three screws). His problem is that it ripped the hyde material of a supposedly new new door panel.

Can anyone recommend a fix? or does he need to replace the entire panel?

See attached pics and thanks for any advise :)

Attachments

• mach 1 door panel 2.jpg
    mach 1 door panel 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 38
  • mach 1 door panel 3.jpg
    mach 1 door panel 3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 35
  • mach 1 door panel.jpg
    mach 1 door panel.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 38

Ruppstang

Tim I would take the door panel off and frist see if a screw would hold in the plastic of the pull. If it does I would use clear epoxy on the broken area then use screws with fender washers through the back of the door panel. Does the door shut ok? Just wondering why it broke.Thats s a tough repair I don't know if it will work but he has nothing to loose. Marty

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Thanks Marty! I'll pass it on and also > refer him to the vintage Mustang forums as Neil privately suggests. Since I don't hang out anywhere else, I told him I'd run it past my buds :)

rvrtrash

The "plastic plate" is probably part of the door panel. The repop deluxe door panels I bought for mine were a formed plastic sheet with the vinyl material layed over it. Even if you used washers, there would still be some movement, and one of the screws mount right against an inside curve with no room for a washer. I think your only hope of salvage would be to find a glue that would adhere to the plastic and layer a small patch piece on top and then redrill the screw holes.

Steve