• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Red GT/CS in Texas on eBay

Doug

I sent the seller a note asking if I can see the car this weekend. I hope to get my car back tonight :icon_ecst and Killeen is 200 miles from here so that would make for a perfect break-in-the-motor trip.

If anyone wants a detailed inspection let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ategoryZ6236QQihZ012QQitemZ220118984191QQrdZ1

I'd love to learn more about this car, I am looking for a 68 390 with auto, air and even like red. So if you are going to look at it - I would appricate any information that you care to share.

Thanks, Doug

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Just got back from Killeen. I have a lot of pictures to resize so they won't be posted for a while. I should be able to get the pictures and a report uploaded by tonight.

Basically, we need the Marti report to answer a lot of the questions.

The car is beautiful but it also has minor issues. Here are a few bullet points:
it has the original ugly trunk mat that Scott likes
what seems to be an original AM/FM radio
upholstered quarter trim panels
deluxe interior
both consoles but the upper one was red at one time
Lucas lights
original cardboard taillight protectors
GT exhaust and hub caps
original air conditioning compressor
what seem to be all the original 390 parts
Auto
passenger side exhaust leak
tiny rust bubbles in the driver's door
clean, nicely primered, underside
power steering pump grinds - may be low of fluid
Incorrect screws attaching the taillight panel to the body
Driver's scoop recently hit an pulled away from the car
scoops have witness lines

And on and on. I'll write it all up. If anyone wants to talk about it before then call me at (832) 288-4179.

The seller did not receive his Marti report so he won't get it until after the end of the auctions, meaning he will probably re-list the car with the Marti posted.

Here are 2 of my favorite pictures.

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

Arlie,
I talked to the owner several weeks ago about the car. Some things I would have liked to see on the car would have been the original smog and original exhaust. A car with 9,000-original miles should still have the original exhaust. Don't know if you looked at the rear end, but the tag on it doesn't match the door tag...sort of strange.
Scott

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Scott, the more I look at the pictures the more I think it's 109K with a restoration but I'll post the pictures and hopefully others will prove me wrong.

Here is the door data.
65A - T - 2A - 29U - 61 - 5 - U

The door VIN matches the dash VIN

You're right, the exhaust has been changed as have the shocks, and there is no smog. There is also red primer on one of the shocks and on an exhaust hanger. The car seems to have an 8" rear end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here are the 1st few pictures. On the last one note the painted-over chip on the door hinge, the separated dash pad, and the extra hole under the door light switch. A similar hole is on the driver's side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

- Contact paper on the lower console
- Chrome sill plate covers
- The door handle screw and the red bolt don't look quite right to me
- Has a tach and a clock. Note the foglight switch location
- Steering wheel has 1 double crack. The woodgrain center insert is perfect. The 3/16" filler on the inner portion of the wheel is missing.
- Upholstered quarter trim panels. 1st I've seen. Starting to separate from the panel at the top rear.
- Upper console doesn't fit too well. Note red spot
- Note lots of red around the lights

Last edited:

GTCSMustang

I'd have a hard time believing this car has 9,000-original miles on it. The driver's door has obviously been painted. The grain/texture appears to be worn off the steering wheel pad. That doesn't happen in 9,000-miles. It's a great and desireable car, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it based on it having 9,000-miles.

Doug

As a person who is searching for such a car I appreciate that Arlie took his time and is still taking time to assist all of us who are really intersested; thanks. It will be interesting to see the Marti report when it arrives.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

- I'm not familiar with vinyl tops. Is that chrome piece supposed to be there? If so, shouldn't it go all the way to the bottom?
- Big bubble under the paint with 3 smaller bubbles to the right. Can't see them with the deck lid closed.
- It has the luggage protector thingy
- Trunk separator looks perfect
- The original trunk mat. Never seen one before!
- Incorrect screws. The taillight bezel chrome is perfect, as is ALL the chrome one the car!!!
- Some alien life form on the brakes. I was afraid to touch it.:icon_no: :icon_pani
- This weird stylalized picture of my car is actually a shot showing that the quarter drain is missing and the quarter itself is perfect

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Thanks Doug. We all need to look out for each other and if I can help someone make an informed decision on a car I'm more than happy to do so.

It also gave me a great reason to road test my car. Nothing better than ringing ears and a sunburned left arm!!!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

- Big ole air conditioner
- It's dirty but looks correct and should clean up nicely
- Check out the rings!!! Do you old-timers remember our discussion about these. Another thing I've never seen before. The number is G-4053-147.
- Same another one near the front of the hood
- Shouldn't there be some sort of heat shield here?
- Original cloth-covered heat riser tube
- S-tube
- Looks like original wiring loom cover thing

It looks to me like this car was restored by a detailed person who knew most of the correct stuff to use. The seller said it was owned by the owner of a Ford dealer and that it may have been used as a showroom display car for years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

- Underside
- Nickel-sized paint blemish on passenger side
- Part of the pinch weld is black and the rest is red???
- Fantastic floors
- :frust:
- Correct grille, posts, lights, brackets, and color. The chrome has worn off the edge of this light.
- Underside of front fender
- Believe it or not this photo is of 3 or 4 tiny paint bubbles in the lower corner of the driver's door. That is the only evidence of rust I could find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

- Top of the scoop pulled away from the body. Someone hit it on the top front. You might be able to see a few scuff marks there
- Top scoop screw is missing and the bottom one is loose. Looks like factory welds on the door jamb
- Original AM/FM radio? Nice tight fit on the console top.
- Taped-up foglight switch. I don't know if the brown color is from the camera flash.
- Quarter trim upholstery peeling off.
- Looks like an 8" rearend
- Don't know if this is an original hubcap or a Ford replacement
- The wheels are nearly perfect. No pitting that I could find.

Last edited: