• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

c4 bellhousings

68 special

Here's the deal!!!!

After researching blockplates and flex plates, I thought I had it all figured out. WRONG.
I put on what I thought was the correct block plate and flex plate for a c4 to mate up to the 351w. Turns out that the flex plate (164 tooth) I already had will work ,but the block plate AND the bellhousing need to be changed. I've read that there are 2 different c4 bellhousings for the small block engines. I have the smaller one and it turns out that I need the larger one to fit the 351w.
Is the only difference in them being the starer opening, which makes for a bigger/wider bellhousing? Everything else seems to match up as far as bolt and dowel holes. Anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks Bret

J.Bart

Here's the deal!!!!

After researching blockplates and flex plates, I thought I had it all figured out. WRONG.
I put on what I thought was the correct block plate and flex plate for a c4 to mate up to the 351w. Turns out that the flex plate (164 tooth) I already had will work ,but the block plate AND the bellhousing need to be changed. I've read that there are 2 different c4 bellhousings for the small block engines. I have the smaller one and it turns out that I need the larger one to fit the 351w.
Is the only difference in them being the starer opening, which makes for a bigger/wider bellhousing? Everything else seems to match up as far as bolt and dowel holes. Anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks Bret
yes, and it's really frustrating
realizing these things after it's all bolted in the car.
from what i gathered the fly wheel , or flex plate "tooth count" have to match the bell housing and the block plate.

and close doesn't count

robert campbell

Bret,
Do you have this resolved yet? I missed you first posting. My first blush is their is no difference in the "small block" bell housing but you may need the proper year and proper tooth count flex plate. The most common are the 157 and 164 tooth. My guess is you just need the correct combination.

I will dig into my archives.

Rob

CougarCJ

I believe that there are three small block Ford bellhousings for the C4 transmission.

C4AP-7976-A This was used on the early 260 V8 engines. 157 tooth bell, and it is only for the early 5 bolt blocks.

C5OP-7976-A This is correct for a 1968 Mustang 289/302. 157 tooth bell for the 6 bolt blocks.

D2AP-7976-AA? This should be the C4 164 tooth bellhousing used starting in 1972?

Ruppstang

There also is one that fits to 200 6 cil. I promise you Bret that one will not work.

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

Thanks for all the input. Got it figured out. I went to the local trans shop and it turns out all I needed was a new flex plate. I haven't put it together yet as I'm doing other touch ups to the engine and engine compartment. I just have to decide how far to go and still have time to get her up and running before the Pony trails and Bremerton and show. It'll work out. Most important part is to slow down and take a second look while downing a cold one. AAH, much better now!!

Bret:)