• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Found a 68 GT?CS today!

I am new here guys, my name is Gerald and I am a mustang guy. Well, today I found a car sitting beside an old mans shop out in the country outside Mapleton Oregon. I almost swerved into the ditch turning around because I saw the big scoops on the side that go in to cool the brakes and I thought it was a shelby, but it said GT/CS and all day today I have been doing my research on it before I try to go and buy it. It is a manual with the original high perf. 302 that came with the car. There is only one rust issue on the passenger side fender that could be easily replaced. Other than that it is an amazing original car with all original equipment. It has a tach on the steering colum that I dont know about and it has a very bizzare thing on the driver side back quarter panel that I hope some one can explain to me. It is a KEY HOLE! What could that be for??? it is right by the California Special script and looks like the same kind of key hole on the door?? Can anyone tell me what these cars go for in this type of condition? It probably doesnt run but the body is in amazing original condition and it had all the proper script and fog lights and trunk spoilers etc..it is a stick 302 and it is red with black lettering...thanks guys!

P

PNewitt

Hi Gerald!

Welcome to the site! And congrats on finding your GT/CS! (you bought it?)

The key/lock on the rear quarter is most likely an old alarm "arming" key switch. People in the 70's/80's would mount those on their car, usually on the fender, or just under the front fender.

You'll find all kinds of friendly and helpful people here for you.

If you can, please register this GT/CS with me (I am the registrar):

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registry
P.O. Box 2245
Davis, CA, 95617

I need your name/address/phone/e-mail, and the VIN, door data plate info (numbers), and a list of options, description, etc. And any photos, or photo CD is welcome, too. Any other bits of interesting info about the car is also welcome.

Thank you--and I know you'll really enjoy your GT/CS. Be sure to check for road worthiness, like brakes, engine, etc., first.

Paul Newitt

OP
OP
G
My cell is 541 517 0544 I didnt get ahold of the guy but I am trying to get in touch with him, I will work a deal and get this car. If I fail I will post the address and map to his home and let you guys try. It is an amazing find and it needs to be owned by some one who knows what it is. It is almost ready for a fresh paint job and it has everything original! it hasnt been messed with at all...call me and we can figure out what its worth! Gerald

DeadStang

Gerald,

If you can't work a deal, please PM me his info, or give me a ring. I am local (in Albany, OR) and am looking for a manual CS/GT. 541-619-2109.

Thanks!

Kim

Mustanglvr

Gerald, you say you`ve done some research, but are you sure it`s original? Did the owner say so? Maybe you should get a Marti report before you hand over your money. Have you researched the vin# or data code plate numbers? Post them here and pics, with the owners permission. We`ll let you know what we think. If there`s anyway we can help, just let us know. Welcome to the site!

BTW, don`t post the owners address and/or map to his home. He might not appreciate that. If someone is interested, you should give the owner their number and let him contact them.

OP
OP
G
I guess any one could be faked by a good clone but i think the craze for this car is probably just growing. This car has the original paint from 68. It has weathered the way it should have after years of sun. If some one was to clone one of these cars they would have a hard time finding the parts like the grill for example. It is exclisive to only California specials and the hood latches. I think the buzz about this special car is just starting and this car I found today has been siting a while. I am no master by any means but I think I would be doing well to get into this car for anything from 5000 to 8000 dollars. It might be worth a bit more just the way it sits but I would like to see it repainted and the interior redone and the morot rebuilt. At that point it might be worth 20,000???? The amazing thing is the way all the body lines match up and all the special script and decals are all there and aged..if its a fake they really did a good job and they must have faked it about 20 years ago to have the "Vintage" weathered look. Gerald

Mustanglvr

There are clones out there that were made within only a few years after the GT/CS was first produced.

OP
OP
G
I left a note on the owners door asking if he is interested in selling the car. By the looks of the surrounding are he very well might be interested. If he is the original owner he might think 6000 was a great price?? Anyway, if I hear from him I will let you guys know. If I dont hear from him I will drive back out there with some cash and try to secure the deal. Thank you so much for your help! I will try to remember every detail I can. The fog lights are the ones that have the little bar under them attaching them to the bumper. The two peices on the sides of the trunk have aged to a different shade or red so they might be fiber glass. The tail lights are the original t bird type and the trunk has the fiberglass spoiler. The grill is blacked out, the motor looks old school hi-po 302 and its an original stick shift....The scoops arent functional but have the screen in the front and all the decals are correct. The gas cap is original with the horse on it....

Mosesatm

Gerald Strebendt said:
The fog lights are the ones that have the little bar under them attaching them to the bumper. The motor looks old school hi-po 302.

Do the fog lights attach to the bumper with bars or behind the bumper, on the horizontal grille panels, with pipes?

There was no hi-po 302 in '68 but there was a 4V 302. What is it about the engine that makes it look high performance?

The VIN tags are on the driver's door and on the passenger dash, next to the defroster vent. The dash VIN can be read from through the windshield. If you can get that number it will tell you a lot about the car. If the number doesn't start with 8R01 the car is a fake.

OP
OP
G
I met the owner today. Hes a great guy. His dad bought the car brand new and its not for sale. He still has the original window sticker, build sheet, and original documents from the day it was sold. I tried my best to buy it from him but he was very serious about not selling the car. You guys were right about the key hole on the fender being an alarm! The vin number was correct for a true GT/CS. He plans on saving it for his grand kids....I hope it doesnt end up rotting away....Gerald

OP
OP
G
Oh, one more thing, the valve covers said "Mustang" on them and they were gray with black fins. The lights said"Lucas" and car still had the same engine, trans, and rear end it came with in 68....

Mustanglvr

Please submit the Vin # and the owners info to Paul Newitt, so that he may contact him for the registry book.