• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Mustang Dynasty Book

BroadwayBlue

Not sure who has the Mustang Dynasty Book.

I ordered one a few weeks ago.
It's pretty interesting.

The author has included a number of artifacts with the book such as reprints of 1965 Owners Manual, bumper stickers, admission tickets to events, patches, sales brochures, etc.

It also has a CD of Mustang engine sounds.

I haven't read it all yet but was flipping through looking for GT/CS references as I always do. There is info on our cars but I found something else interesting.

There is a black and white picture of what is captioned as a Shelby GT500. But the car is a coupe and I'm pretty sure this could be a CS prototype or maybe Little Red or the Green Hornet. It has a vinyl roof but not the EXP stripes.

Does anyone else have this book or can confirm that it is in fact CS prototype?

http://mustangdynasty.com/

Sorry about the size of the picture - I got this off of Amazon.

Attachments

• PossiblyCSPrototype.JPG
    PossiblyCSPrototype.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 42
  • PossibleCSPrototype.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Looking at the pictures side by side it has a lot of differences.

No Shelby hood or foglights.
Does have hood pins
Seems to have Marchals.
Has a horse on the grille
Definitely has side scoops
You can't see it in the photo above but the side scoop stripe starts and stops and says "350" on it.
The caption actually say "1968 GT 350".
The hood seems to say F O R D on it.

It reminds me of this picture from the fordartehouse.com titled "Mustang Style Study"

Interesting that the date on this picture and the one from the book are the same on that board they photograph with the concepts. 9/8/67.
The ID number is different though.

The difference in this picture and the book is the stripes, CS type stripes on this one and no hood pins on this one.

I know we talked about this particular picture a few years back but I don't recall us ever getting to the bottom of it.

Makes for good conversation if nothing else.

Attachments

• 0001-4699.jpg
    0001-4699.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I'm guessing from what I read on another site is that
these are 2 concepts or prototypes that Ford made.

The GT/SC sport coupe (on the fordartehouse site) and the Mustang 350 (in the Mustang Dynasty book).
They were supposedly built in the Fall of 67 which would be right for the 9/67 date on the boards.

These are probably those cars I think.

case12

I believe it was the GT/SC that was eventually used to test and create what is now the Green Hornet.

From this picture we see the beginnings of the GT/CS - the prototype - but a dearborn car outfitted with the pieces. The blueprints I have date into November of 67 (maybe earlier....memory fading), and refer to our car as "California Mustang", "California Special" and "GT/CS" on different BPs. Some BPs have Shelby GT parts and GT/CS parts on the same BP.

Magazine articles of the day speculated (because of Little Red) that Shelby would do a coupe in 68, but they never did - thus, the GT/CS was born.

Casey

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Looks like these are in fact 2 GT/CS concepts - I was reading a timeline Paul had posted about Little Red and the Green Hornet on the SAAC forum and realized as I was reading that the description matched these pictures.

"Ford makes two concepts for national sales of a "Shelby-inspired coupe": "GT/SC" (Sport Coupe), and "Mustang 350", Fall, 1967 (pre-November). Two cars built, one concept, and one prototype."