• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. 68 GT/CS on the block at Mecum January 2010

BroadwayBlue

No pictures yet but this car will be going up for auction in late January.

Saturday's TV coverage is scheduled to start @ 2:00pm.
You can usually watch live coverage on their site for free though

Kissimmee, FL Auction
January 28-31, 2010
This Lot scheduled to be sold SAT10:25AM
Lot S13 1968 Ford Mustang Cal Special
302/250 HP, Automatic
- 302/250 HP engine
- Automatic transmission
- Fog lights
- AM/FM stereo with CD player
- Rosewood steering wheel
- Magnum 500 wheels
- This is the coolest Mustang on the Block!

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0110-89924

di81977

I love watching the auctions on cable. I have been really surprised at some of the sale prices. Boy has the market been soft, even for top collectibles. Any one watch Chasing Classic Cars? Been a while since one of Wayne's cars have sold at his expected price at auction, or sold at all.

Now is the time to buy if you have the money (and space).

david

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I watch Chasing Classic Cars all the time with Wayne Carini.

Glad they have some new episodes I was getting tired of the repeats.

Some interesting stuff and cool to see from the eyes of a restore shop and how he looks to make a profit and often doesn't.

Did you see the one recently where that Jaguar went for only $15,000 and was estimated at around $25,000-30,000? He took a hit on that one.

Mosesatm

Bump for the auction on Saturday. This car is S-13 and is a feature car. It should be on the block in the first hour of the Saturday broadcast.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I don't think it's going to be on TV actually.

I noticed the Mecum site says this car is going on the block on Saturday 10:25AM.

The TV coverage doesn't start until 2pm.
Don't know if it's a tape delay from the morning since it doesn't say it's LIVE.

mike in CA

I watch Chasing Calssic Cars so much that when Wayne walked by me at the Carmel Concours, I forgot I only know him from TV and started to shake his hand and say Wayne buddy, its been a long time. He looked at me like I was a nut. He probably gets that all the time though.

Mike

Mosesatm

I don't think it's going to be on TV actually.

I noticed the Mecum site says this car is going on the block on Saturday 10:25AM.

The TV coverage doesn't start until 2pm.
Don't know if it's a tape delay from the morning since it doesn't say it's LIVE.

I think you're correct rich. The 1st televised car is lot 110.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I watch Chasing Calssic Cars so much that when Wayne walked by me at the Carmel Concours, I forgot I only know him from TV and started to shake his hand and say Wayne buddy, its been a long time. He looked at me like I was a nut. He probably gets that all the time though.

Mike

That's funny:rofl:

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Watching the webcast now - should be going on within the hour... still auctioning off memorabilia right now... cars are starting now @ 10:25am...

Last edited:

Mosesatm

It's a convertible. A $@#% fake!!! No wonder there was no photo.

I want that hour of my life back.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

You think it was a convertible?? I couldn't really tell - thought it may have been a vinyl roof. The camera shot is far and fuzzy on the webcasts.

Need a rewind on the webcast!! Damn!

For those that didn't see it ...

The car looked like it was Tahoe Turquiose (hard to tell colors sometimes on the webcast) with black stripes.

Foglights didn't look like they were Marchal or Lucas a square style.

No closeups of the engine but seemed to have some chrome add-ons.

Reserve was taken off at $27,000 it ended up selling for $29,500 + the buyer's premium of 6% ($1,770) would bring the total sale price to $31,270!

Curious now to confirm if it was a convertible/clone or not. Still a strong price even for a clone though. :confused:

68gt390

Your right on Arlie. It wasn't a CS. Convertible, wrong fog lights. Sombody got taken on that one. What a waste of time. That's what happens when you don't know what your looking at. Like we've always said - MARTI - MARTI - MARTI. I should take mine to Indy this year to Mecum and see what it does.
NOT.

Don

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

You know I had to go searching right? :eek:)

Couldn't rest until I put on my google cape and went searching and I found it and you are correct Arlie - it's a fake and a convertible to "boot" (pardon the pun!) :grin:

Here is an ad for it on AutoTraderClassics.com

Even in this listing they say it's a coupe and not a convertible!!

The were asking $34,500!!

http://tinyurl.com/ygmjozd

You just have to hope the person that bought it was there in person and not someone who let Mecum bid for them - which you can do - hopefully knew what they were buying!!

Not that it's worth much at least on the sellers own site they admit convertible but don't mention it's a replica.

Shelby Replicas are noted as such though ... interesting huh?

What we don't know is what documentation was provided at the auction itself. On the TV coverage they normally tell you that info and if something is noted as a clone/replica, etc ...

http://www.kcclassicauto.com/1968_Ford_Mustang_California_Special-358.html

Sooooo ... if someone was willing to pay almost $30,000 for a clone what do you think a comparable "real deal" would go for?
The convertible probably would add some to the price ... if the top goes down the price goes up ...

Last edited:

robert campbell

Kinda a cool car!!! Sorry about that hour of your life Arlie!!! Certainly not a GT/CS.

I love the consecutive unit numbers from the other plants. This is an early 68 conv as it has the recessed reflectors. This picture is far away, but the CS script looks high on the quarter panel. Ok Rob, just stop it...

It would be interesting to know the history of this car. Is the fiber glass repop or Ford? Is this a very old clone built at by a dealer back in the day? With all the examples around today, why is the script up high?

Stop it Rob..... Did they clone a debut car??? Can't seem to let this anomoly go. Not with an old quarter on my car with holes up high.....

Rob