• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

how to get california historical platew

CS68

does any of you know how to get historical plates in california??

CALIF GIRL

Here is the DMV link for the application

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17a.pdf

They have requirements and limitations such as:

....car must be manufactured after 1922 and at least 25 years old, have historic intrest..Also has limits to be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, historic club activities only....
there are others, but this is the section that would apply to our GT/CS's

Ca vehicle code 5004 defines it better..

If you need more info email or pm me

OP
OP
C

CS68

thank you. I notice that your car has historical plates? do you think is worth it calif girl.
thank you again

p51

Good thread. Do historical plates *appear* to be period correct - meaning, are they black with gold writing?

Personally, I would like to be able to get period correct black plates on my car Unfortunately, my car does not have a "CA black plate pedigree" since it was originally an AZ car and was only titled in CA in ~1988. And Gray Davis decided to veto a bill moving YOM plate date to 1968. Too bad Arnie wasn't gov at the time...

CALIF GIRL

For me the Historical Plates work. I don't drive the car often, and when I do it is within the rules.

The plates are white with red lettering, and goes good with my red car.
My car was a black plate car, but I got personalized plates back in the 80's when I had no idea the black plates should be kept. I have photos of the car with the black plates and old reg papers with the numbers. I could get the black plates put on, but I like the Historical plates.

p51

CALIF GIRL said:
...I have photos of the car with the black plates and old reg papers with the numbers. I could get the black plates put on, but I like the Historical plates.
I wish that were true for my car. I would *really* like to get black tags on it. Don't lose the docs. If you ever want to sell the car (I'm certain you won't) it might make a difference for a purist.

BTW: My understanding (not sure of this) is that if the car had originally been registered w/black tags, and you still have the tags, and you still have the paperwork you can get the black tags put back on. Just FYI (future reference), if you dont have the original tags there are places that will make exact replicas (you'll probably have to fib to the DMV and tell them they're the orignals). And if the tags are really beat up there are places that will restore them. All on-line sites...

CALIF GIRL

p51,

You are right. Black plates can be put back on. I have thought about it in the past, but so far I like the historical plates better...But someday I might want to do it.