• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Correct decal placement

JohnnyQuest515

I have a 68 GT/CS coming in a couple of weeks and wanted to get information prior to my restoration work. I found an older thread but the pics don't load any longer.

I was looking for all the decal locations and which ones. I have ordered a decal kit and have followed the front decal info as well.

Thanks, JQ

franklinair

Are you referring to the C/S decals, or the factory miscellaneous decals? Paul Newitt's book lays out the C/S installation. For the other factory decals, if you belong to MCA, their rulebook should spell them out.
Hope this helps.

Neil Hoppe

J_Speegle

I have a 68 GT/CS coming in a couple of weeks and wanted to get information prior to my restoration work. I found an older thread but the pics don't load any longer.

What engine and options does your car have? When it was built at San Jose might narrow it down also.

If you bought the typical "kit" you'll not be using a number of decals included in it ;)

OP
OP
JohnnyQuest515

JohnnyQuest515

Engine decal placement

I found the exterior stripe placement and found some for the trunk but now need the engine compartment only.

390 X Code.

Thanks, Randy

J_Speegle

Could not find the pictures I have of a really nice original 68 X code (they are somewhere in the 40,000 ) but here is an X code with the decal locations notated

#1- Battery inspection decal (filled out) Correct decal currently is not widely available

#2- Engine ID tag (paper) Reproduction is plastic - remember to tear the ends on a tape dispenser to reproduce the original looking ends (on the front surface of the passenger side head

#3- (Radiator shroud) If you car has one NO - CAUTION decal was originally supplied

#4- Service decal

#5- Emissions decal applied below the breather location above the gasjet lip of the valve cover

#6- Air filter - service replacement parts decal - Original would include the part number for the air filter in small aerial print along the lower edge (cheap reproductions do not include this detail)

#7- Engine size/displacement. Small orange with white "flags" on ends

#8- May or may not have the tin foil with red print brake fluid warning label since we are discussing spring built cars

No decal on voltage regulator (was ink stamped C8AF for standard C8TF for HD charging)

No decal on coil. Original was ink printed. Reproduction decal is normally (due to date) made for a 70 car - but again no decal

68SanJoseXcodedecallocation.jpg

Hope this helps

OP
OP
JohnnyQuest515

JohnnyQuest515

Tire pressure decal location

I need the tire pressure decal location now! I read a post in another forum that located it on the passenger door just below the latch.

Anyone?

Thanks, JQ

J_Speegle

I need the tire pressure decal location now! I read a post in another forum that located it on the passenger door just below

Don't even want to know what the other forum was ;)

The tire pressure decal for your car was in the glove box. The door jamb location is a 69-70 thing

gt/cs 6 cylinder decal location for engine compartment

Does anyone have photos of where the different decals go on the engine and on the air cleaner? Also what color is the 200 cylinder decal the one I bought is blue but so is the air cleaner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

J_Speegle

Does anyone have photos of where the different decals go on the engine and on the air cleaner? Also what color is the 200 cylinder decal the one I bought is blue but so is the air cleaner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Does this help?

The filter replacement decal would originally have a part number for the filter on the bottom left edge (from an early 68 San Jose car)

8R01T101Engdecals.jpg