• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Instrument cluster question

Jayscal

To the left of the right turn signal indicator light on the instrument cluster, there are two lights. One is for the brake, is the other one for the seat belts? The bulb is burned out on mine and I don't remember what this was for.

P

PNewitt

I noticed that myself, years ago. If I'm not mistaken, It looks to me like an idea that was dropped during production. The electrical and dash departments never got it together to not include those two lights.

The (hand) brake light would have required the same metal contacts and wiring as in the Convenience Group of courtesy lights. The Seat belt light would have required a relay for that bulb to go off after three seconds once you start the car.

It would be interesting to hook these up. Or--to use for a blinking light for an alarm (or dummy flasher light) in the same location. I wonder if these same lights operate on the '68 Cougar?

Paul N.

case12

Mine had black tape, and I also found a loose wire with a socket when I was doing the tach thing. I took the black tape off, stuck a bulb in the loose wire and socket, twisted it in place in the instrument cluster and was thinking how lucky/smart I was to find this. Then I put everthing back together. All I got was an annoying brake light that would never go off - I surmised that this was not right and that likely this never meant to be for my car, so I took it all apart again, took the bulb out, but the tape back on and left it the way it was meant to be (for my car). Casey

PFSlim

Casey

Now thinking back on it, after we installed our instrument cluster, we had the brake light on as well. Even after bleeding the brakes 1,000 times, we disconnected the light. Good job bringing that up!!! What a frustrating time that was.

Paul

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Reason for the question is i have some bulbs that are burned out which light up the speedometer. I figured that I would remove the cluster and give it a good inspection, and replace the bulbs. Many years ago a back brake lines got damaged from road debris and leaked . This illuminated the brake light because the piston in the distribution block had shifted to use the front brakes since there was no fluid to power the back brakes. After the rear line was replaced and the brakes bled, I could not for the life of me centralize the distribution block piston (this shuts the l red brake light off). I even took my car to a brake shop and had them try to get the light to go off, no luck. I ended up just pulling the electrical connector off of the distribution block, no light now. Thanks to your replies I know I am not the only one with this issue.

I had seen a seat belt light that was mounted on the lower edge of the dash board before, I thought this was just added from a earlier model. As Paul stated there never was a seat belt light and relay for the cluster, so the under dash belt light must have been a dealer option, unless the convenience group was installed from the factory.

mmarsalone

If you have Deluxe seat belts the Belts light in your dash should work. Mine does. Likewise, if you have Deluxe belts on a 67', the the Belts light is mounted under the dash where our fog light switch is. I have a spare 67' in my basement someplace. I've seen the 68s wiring, relay, and socket come up on Ebay every now and then.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Mike... you are the man!

I was hoping someone here had the option. Ok now we know the scoop on the seat belt light.

I don't ever recall seeing this relay in a catalog for Mustang parts, so this makes it a challenge for me to light up a silly light for a few seconds. :cheesy: I love cheap cool projects for my pony.
I have been checking my convenience group wiring diagram, it looks like the relay is fed with 12 volts. This weekend I am going to check how many volts feed the bulb. I think all I need is how many amps are involved, and a modern replacement can be found. Its really sad to think that a safety warning feature was not a standard option, unless you sprung a few bucks for deluxe belts. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

One of the guys on my Lincoln forum has a 67 Cougar, and he sent me a picture of the relay/timer which is mounted by the steering column, and light in the dash.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 31
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 30

mmarsalone

Jay,

I don't recall where the relay is. When I bought the car the light wasn't working. I loosened the dash, found the socket loose behind the dash without a bulb. I stuck in a bulb, tested it, replaced socket back into dash and buttoned it back up. I don't recall even seeing the relay.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

If its not located at the bottom of the column, then it would probably be mounted behind the kick panel.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

The guy I know witht the Cougar sent me some more pictures, and info.
3 wires total:

Following two both go to same prong on timer*
-Lt. Blue/Orange wire is fused 6a
-Green

-Blue (or Purple?) wire goes to other prong on timer

We can assume that it IS grounded at the base since it no longer worked after I removed it from the steering column.

Attachments

• belt3.jpg
    belt3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
  • belt4.jpg
    belt4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 26
  • belt5.jpg
    belt5.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 23